Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon customer service....

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

SPierce Photography wrote:
I'm actually curious about other photographers encounters' with Nikon customer service. How long does it normally take you to get your camera, lens, etc back that you sent in for repair?

I sent my D800 in for service (shutter, 285,000+ actuations) a month and a half ago. It was sent to them through my local camera store, where I buy all my equipment from. A week and a half after it was sent in, they called the camera store with a quote for repair, for which they got approval. I've been waiting the rest of the time, for the confirmation that my camera is repaired and on it's way back-- and I'm still waiting. No word yet from Nikon.

Obviously, I'm getting rather annoyed at the long time I've had to wait- and this isn't my first encounter with Nikon CS. When I sent my D80 in for a shutter replacement, they kept it for 2 and a half months. The only reason I got it back that quickly was because I asked for it back unrepaired. I was tired of waiting- they suddenly found it, repaired it, and sent it back. My back up cameras are a Canon 50D and a Nikon D80, which works great for portrait stuff but all of a sudden I'm getting a lot of commercial and architectural jobs too. I really don't want to use either, quality wise they aren't close to my D800.

Am I rightfully annoyed at them taking so long, or is this normal?

You might apply for NPS if you're shooting professionally.   I typically get work done within 5-7 business days and I'm sent a loaner camera for the cost of shipping until they return my camera.

I've always sent gear to them directly so I can't speak to sending it in via a store.

Apr 30 14 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

UPS just dropped off my D600, sensor cleaned, shutter mechanism replaced, firmware upgraded, general check and clean.
No Charge, and a SEVEN DAY TURN AROUND from my house to my house.
Top that for any camera manufacturer.
Like I said previously, I have never had anything but great service from Nikon and once again they performed famously.

Apr 30 14 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Hidden Hills Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I just rolled the dice, no choice really since my 70-200 decided to stop functioning as an autofocus lens at random times, just sent it up to Nikon LA this afternoon and am hoping the non NPS services times are pretty good. Will report back when I hear something.

May 03 14 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

My only repairs have been NPS also.  Fast and reliable turn around.  We are in Dallas and they have us ship to Nikon repair in LA.

May 04 14 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Capitol City Boudoir

Sacramento, California, US

This is but one of the reasons I shoot Canon.

If I send out a piece of equipment to the Canon Service center on Monday via regular UPS, they receive it on Wednesday. They examine it and have repair estimate to me by the end of the day on Wednesday.  If I approve, the repairs are done on Thursday and the equipment is shipped out on Friday.  The equipment is back in my hands the following Monday.  Eight days. If I'm in a real rush, I can pay the extra fee to ship it to the overnight and I have it back on Friday of the same week.

In all my years shooting Canon, the longest I have had a piece of equipment sitting at their facility, after I approved the repairs is 3 days. After 2 days, the offered a free loaner.

May 04 14 09:39 am Link