Forums > General Industry > Getting Legit

Model

Scout Laura Leta

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello! I've been on Model Mayhem since October and so far so good. I've worked with about 10 photographers off of Model Mayhem and have built a pretty solid portfolio. I'm wondering how I should go about working with other photographers who aren't on Model Mayhem and how to start involving makeup artists, hairstylists, and wardrobe people in my shoots. Does anyone have any helpful insight into the subject? Thanks!

Mar 23 14 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

A good place to start would be group sessions, workshops etc. Check the MM casting calls in your area and see if you can find one. I've met a lot of Mua/models/photographers etc at those. Some use MM some don't.

Another option would be Facebook. Surely the photographers you've worked with shoot other models. Send some of them friend request and ask for recommendations. Check out their work and see if you can't find some stuff you like. Most people tag everyone on Facebook. So finding new people in your area shouldn't be hard.

Mar 23 14 09:47 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

What do you mean by "legit?" 

Unless you're doing paid shoots, it's going to be pretty tough to find wardrobe, MUA, stylists, etc on a trade basis (the photographer or client who's paying you usually arranges the team).

Are you trying to find paid work?  Is that what you're asking?

Mar 23 14 10:15 pm Link

Model

Scout Laura Leta

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm already doing paid work, but I'm providing all my own wardrobe and doing my hair and makeup myself. I'm wondering how to connect with hair and makeup artists to get them involved in my shoots.

Mar 24 14 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Scout Laura Leta wrote:
I'm already doing paid work, but I'm providing all my own wardrobe and doing my hair and makeup myself. I'm wondering how to connect with hair and makeup artists to get them involved in my shoots.

Use the MM Browse function, the Castings section and contact MUAs and Stylists in your area by direct MM PMs. smile

Mar 24 14 12:27 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For makeup artists and hair stylists, network at trade schools in your city that teach these courses (put up business cards, etc.)  The mua at one of my shoots a couple of months ago was still a student in a makeup artistry diploma program and did the job for trade.  She was contacted by the photographer (who was also a student, in a university photography course), so you might want to ask some photographers in your area who their go-to makeup artists/stylists are, too.

Mar 24 14 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Scout Laura Leta wrote:

If you're being paid to shoot without a MUA/Stylist etc., why would you want to complicate matters by involving them?

Most of the time, if these people are being brought in then it's the photographer (or client) who will be doing it, not the model.

If you want to arrange shoots off your own back like that, great, but expect to have to pay photographers to take the pictures unless they're very accommodating and/or inexperienced. A trade shoot is something that both parties are involved and invested in, not something you arrange and foist on an unexpecting photographer with the anticipation of him/her shooting it for free.

Personally, if a model approached me saying she already had a "full team" arranged I'd most likely decline or give her my rates as I'd consider it a commercial shoot.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Mar 24 14 05:03 am Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: half the battle of getting others interested in working together paid or not is finding and learning how to light a fire in their belly so that they are as passionate about shooting as you are. The first step is to have a game plan. If you are doing a TF* shoot, you are going to find more compassionate souls to trade with you than if you are doing a paid shoot in which generally everyone gets paid.

The best way to get in touch with people though is to simply reach out to them. Be polite, short, sweet, and professional with what you want to accomplish, and how it could benefit them (people love when you cater to their interests). Start with casting calls, go to workshops, reach out to salons/stores in your area that might have the kinds of folks that you are looking for with stylists/mua's/hair, and ask if anyone is interested in shooting sometime..etc.  You have to be fearless though and put yourself out there. The worst that anyone can say is no.

Hope this helps, and if you ever cross New York, please feel free to say hello. Good luck!

Mar 24 14 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Consider background work in the film industry as a way to make contacts (background doesn't pay much). There is money in TV commercials and there is often tie ins between commercial print advertising (stills) and TV. Full team always. The New Mexico Film Office lists castings sometimes, but there are agencies that specialize. Carry business cards.

City of Albuquerque Economic Development  Office
http://www.cabq.gov/economicdevelopment … e-an-extra

New Mexico Film Office
http://nmfilm.com/Bulletin_Board.aspx
http://www.nmfilm.com/Casting_Calls.aspx

You can pick out numerous casting agent contacts from this link but I would research all the companies involved first.
(check the monthly archives as well)
http://www.oneheadlightink.com/sindicat … ng-extras/
http://www.oneheadlightink.com/sindication/casting/

Mar 24 14 05:16 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Tombouctou, Tombouctou, Mali

Having had a couple of less than satisfactory experiences with models who provided their own 'team' I'm not likely to be attracted to such an arrangement again. If I need a 'team' I'm perfectly capable of finding one myself.

The problems I encountered arose essentially because the model regarded her team as necessary to maintaining her 'brand' which I honestly find ludicrous so far as internet modelling is concerned.

For regular shoots (which is the majority) I expect the model to be able to provide wardrobe and hair/makeup to suit the style of the shoot. If a model baulks at that prospect then I would be concerned and would most likely bow out of the shoot.

Mar 24 14 05:46 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Look for photographers who use a whole team for their shoots.

Mar 24 14 05:55 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

AJScalzitti wrote:

+1

Mar 24 14 07:50 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can only do basic hair and makeup too, so I think what you're getting at is how can you connect with hair and makeup artists who can create a different look for you?  I hear you.  I know a couple of photographers who work trade with makeup artists and hairstylists all the time; everyone at the shoot is there to learn and trade.  I don't see anything wrong with it if you're just starting out.  We aren't all The Big Time.

Mar 24 14 09:00 am Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

It sounds like you're wanting to do more commercial work, like on an agency level, and that's tricky to get involved in and not everyone's going to make it.

On the other hand if you're just wanting to work with full crews ( hair/ makeup/ wardrobe/ etc... ) then work with photographers whos work looks like they are bringing that to the table. Often, if it's a tf shoot involving a team like this selecting the model is going to be a lot more critical.

As for working with photographers who aren't on here, unless you're doing the agency route, you don't have many options besides craigslist or something like that, and the talent pool really isn't any better. There are a lot of great photographers on MM if you do your research, some actually do shoot commercial work. So again, unless you're with an agency, if you're wanting to elevate your work, this is a pretty good place to be. And as for photographers who aren't on here but shoot commercial stuff, you really just need to be with an agency, and like I said before, not everyone is going to make it.

Mar 24 14 09:35 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Scout Laura Leta wrote:
Hello! I've been on Model Mayhem since October and so far so good. I've worked with about 10 photographers off of Model Mayhem and have built a pretty solid portfolio. I'm wondering how I should go about working with other photographers who aren't on Model Mayhem and how to start involving makeup artists, hairstylists, and wardrobe people in my shoots. Does anyone have any helpful insight into the subject? Thanks!

You just gotten started.

You wrote "have built a pretty solid portfolio"
I have no comment..

Here's the thing... Start slow and build up and give your self time..
A lot of legit photographers are photographing, models who are 5'9" and up or look like they could be in FHM or Playboy... Or some tattoo magazine.. (there is very little in between) Unless commercial.. (and with that, you need even more experience)
Understand that those type of girls is your competition...
As I said before..... You've just got started... Starting in October is not enough time.
Your kinda rushing things.
Give your self some time, build up, practice, practice...
If you you start to work with legitimate photographers and makeup artist..
your going to have to bring something other than high hopes to the table.
Such as
Experience...
or Money to hire them..........

Mar 25 14 12:32 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

That does not make someone legit..
Could end up with a bunch of amateurs showing up.
Which could complicate things if each has their own agenda, if everyone is not on the same page.......

Mar 25 14 12:35 am Link