Forums > General Industry > your a great photographer if u touch up photos?

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

why are photographers who do heavy airburshing or what not being rewarded as great photographers, I don't get it. Why is it my fault if you have bad skin or your fat ass won't go to the gym, they want me to spend hours on touching up their body and the won't spend 10 @#!%ing minutes in a gym or take better care of their skin if they are truly a real "model".

Nov 20 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

Bogan wrote:
why are photographers who do heavy airburshing or what not being rewarded as great photographers, I don't get it. Why is it my fault if you have bad skin or your fat ass won't go to the gym, they want me to spend hours on touching up their body and the won't spend 10 @#!%ing minutes in a gym or take better care of their skin if they are truly a real "model".

I do touch up photos but mannnnnnnnn you shoukld hear some the request or demands i get...........

Nov 20 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

So hard to be you..

Here's the argument as it's been stated a hundred times:

- A true photographic ARTISTE would never photoshop an image.  He gets it perfect in the camera.

What I hear:

- If a scene is perfect and the girl is pretty, I can take a good picture.

Nov 20 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

If you were shooting agency (agencies like Elite, Ford, CESD, etc.) models for clients then you wouldn't have this problem.

Most of the post work I do (if any) is miniscule. (some hair out of place, something in the background etc.)

And yes.... just about every finish photo for a client is photoshopped or corrected in post in one way or another.

Nov 20 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

Lee Frederic

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bogan wrote:

I do touch up photos but mannnnnnnnn you shoukld hear some the request or demands i get...........

Why is somebody a model if they've got bad skin and don't take care of themselves. ALL somebody should have to do is enhance the model not start from scratch!

Nov 20 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

W.G. Rowland wrote:
So hard to be you..

- A true photographic ARTISTE would never photoshop an image.  He gets it perfect in the camera.

What I hear:

WG  You know better.  ALL images today are worked on in post in all mags and ads.  They have to be, since the printers and publishers are all digital presses.  Yes anyone can just let an image be, and if it works that way, so be it...but ask any pro...how many polaroids can one take before getting it right?  What difference does it make whether the work is done before or after.

Nov 20 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:

WG  You know better.  ALL images today are worked on in post in all mags and ads.  They have to be, since the printers and publishers are all digital presses.  Yes anyone can just let an image be, and if it works that way, so be it...but ask any pro...how many polaroids can one take before getting it right?  What difference does it make whether the work is done before or after.

That was kind of my point, Pix.. smile

Nov 20 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Bogan wrote:

You get demands for heavier retouch than you already do? Holy shit now that is really too much.

RB

Nov 20 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the pictures you see in most magazines are touched up pixel by pixel.
that's what i heard-but don't listen to me-i'm just some model.

Nov 20 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Pixel by pixel it is...what a laborious task.
In the end, it is a different rendition, but less than working from nothing...
Humans are human, we do not care sometimes, then demand that peeps make us feel special...
Photoshop, Cameras, lights, Studios, computers...Skill. all in the food chain, which makes the business of things flow. If models would caretake themselves as good as the products they represent, there would be other areas lacking. Where would we then need photoshop or dedicated retouchers...Ok, lets burn the less than perfect at the stake for heresy...
OMG, is that too much to ask.
Actually, It would be best if we all kept our A** clean and worked beautiful as a team...to encourage great outcome. Oh, yeah you can write out a check to my name... :p

Now if I can only locate my lens cap...

Nov 20 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

All photography is an illusion - just a matter of degree.

Nov 20 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

A great artist uses all the tools at his disposal to produce an image.  Whether or not it includes cameras, lights, people, props, make-up, films, a darkroom/lab, printers and yes... computers and Photoshop.  The only people I ever hear spouting off negatively about using Photoshop are the old coots who can't face the fact that they are unable to get with the times and learn new technologies.

Ansel Adams used to say that he was a mediocre photographer, but a real bad ass in the dark room.

I too, am a mediocre photographer, but a real bad ass with Photoshop. ;o)

Nov 20 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Ferguson

Nassau, Minnesota, US

I think everyone establishes his or her own way of capturing and making the image pop as apart of themselves. So photoshopping a pic may be there way of feeling that they did what they had to do to bring the image they saw out of the camera. Just not the raw image. It may not be enough for them to be satisfied. So touching up may be his or her way of presenting a unique image.

Nov 20 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=1941

see what editing pictures can do.
just learn the right techniques.
sorry-i just love his work.

Nov 20 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

W.G. Rowland wrote:

That was kind of my point, Pix.. smile

Got ya!

Nov 20 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

So don't work with them.

Nov 20 06 02:00 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/

see-even celebrities are human!
i guess that means models are too!

Nov 20 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

You are correct! That is why I see some people on this site as artists really and not photographers. I mean they take plain images that your neighbor can shoot and then manipulate them into art, which some do amazing work, but it isn't pure photography. If you are referring to mass airbrushing I think there are a few reasons why many do this. One it is easy to do for the web, but if many tried that shit for publications they would get laughed at. Of course that is why the people who do touch ups for big magazines, photographers, companies, etc... make serious cash. Second, it is an easy way to mask your mistakes. You can also blame magazines like Maxim for getting everyone into that plastic look, although lately I have noticed a little less airbrushing on their side.

Nov 20 06 02:03 pm Link

Model

Lee Frederic

Chicago, Illinois, US

pamela mars wrote:

wow they even made ol girls booty bigger! Amazing!!

Nov 20 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

RBDesign wrote:

You get demands for heavier retouch than you already do? Holy shit now that is really too much.

RB

ok ok I can take a hent.................laffing my ass off

Nov 20 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

pamela mars wrote:

that guy basically creates another person sometimes gee whizzzzzzzz he really brushes a person out of existence................

Nov 20 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

This thread will end badly...

Nov 20 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
This thread will end badly...

I'm sorry you can blame me.....................

Nov 20 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

The REAL photographers........  nevermind.

Nov 20 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
So hard to be you..

What I hear:

all images are corrected ,retouched ,cropped in some way,you are just kidding yourself if you think they are not.If you use film do you expose for the shadows,develope for the highlites.the Zone system for those of us old enough to have worked with it is nothing but manipulation,I don't think anyone is going to say Ansel Adams was not an artist.Adams   did correction with developement,  burn/dodgeing and edge burning to enchance the image in the darkroom printing stage and recommended it as  part of the artistic process.and he even admits some of his images were off by 1f/stop or more.
   Photoshop  is no different,just a different medium, you can be just as much the artist using it or not.However I would agree that depending on it to cover a lack of basic photo takeing skills useing the camera is not the best approach.

Nov 20 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Philip of Dallas wrote:
All photography is an illusion - just a matter of degree.

I like that.  Someone should post it every time the no-retouching vs. retouching debate fires up.

Nov 20 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

toan thai photography

Montgomery Village, Maryland, US

I do retouch my images--blemishes, dark circles etc. I don't go to crazy with it though. I stay away from gaussian blur. I rarely use "normal" mode when cloning. "lighten" and "darken" mode are prefered.

Nov 20 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Split Images Studio

Seattle, Washington, US

Great photographers have been retouching and alterning their photographs since the mid 1850s. Course, the better phtogs know when to stop, where as the amateurs seem to think more is better. Need to have a good reason to retouch.

Even Mr Ansel Adams didnt do STRAIGHT prints!!!! LOL

Patrick

Nov 20 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

the problem is on the net a photoshopped to death image may look great , the same for overexsposed digital images.   now go print a 30x40 and lets see how good your photoshop skills are.   i know a photog that shoots slides in a rb67 then gets drum scans.  he photoshops all his landscapes before i goes to get his 3 foot by 8 foot prints and they are unbelievable.

Nov 20 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Split Images Studio

Seattle, Washington, US

One thing every one needs to remember before they cut down some one using PS or Darkroom manipulation on a photograph - your photograph is NOT the real subject, it is a two dimensional representation of the subject, PERIOD!!!!!!! SOOO, when some one says that the photog is altering the subjects real looks, WRONG, they are only altering the illusion of that subject, the transformation of a 3 dimensional into a 2 dimensional. Lots of things get lost or altered in that transformation.
Sooooo , folks, lighten up some!!! AND HAVE FUN CREATING NEW AND EXCITING IMAGES!!!!

Patrick

Nov 20 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:

It makes a BIG difference.  I do agree with W.G. to a point.  And my point is this and I have said 100 times.  PhotoShop and it's use is NOT  a reason to excuse sloppy photographic skills.  I have heard it with my own ears - Doesn't matter if I shoot righ or not, I can make it look good later.  Pure laziness, not wanting to take the time to learn how to shoot a proper, good image. 

Photographers need to learn to shoot first, edit second.  Not vice versa.  And I do know some pro photographers who do NOT use PhotoShop and are published on a regular basis.  A magazine may do some post work to match their specs, but I have seen several exhibited owrks, not edited at all, that look fabulous.  It CAN be done if we will take the time and work and patience to learn how.

Do I do some editing?  Yes, but not a lot.  If it doesn't look right I would rather pick up my camera and go out and work on getting it more right

Nov 20 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I have a friend who was member of the Missouri Bikini Team the summer of 2005.  Their images were SO edited she told me she had shown up for some paid engagements and the people who hired her to come out did not recognize her!  That is WAY too much!

Nov 20 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

fotorat

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

pamela mars wrote:

I like the before pictures better....

Nov 20 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

fotorat

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Are you a great photographer if you give them to someone else to touch up?

Nov 20 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Bogan

Miami, Florida, US

RBDesign wrote:

RB

RB you think I retouch too much? Wow I didn't think so but I guess I do if you say so.........

Nov 21 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:

all images are corrected ,retouched ,cropped in some way,you are just kidding yourself if you think they are not.If you use film do you expose for the shadows,develope for the highlites.the Zone system for those of us old enough to have worked with it is nothing but manipulation,I don't think anyone is going to say Ansel Adams was not an artist.Adams   did correction with developement,  burn/dodgeing and edge burning to enchance the image in the darkroom printing stage and recommended it as  part of the artistic process.and he even admits some of his images were off by 1f/stop or more.
   Photoshop  is no different,just a different medium, you can be just as much the artist using it or not.However I would agree that depending on it to cover a lack of basic photo takeing skills useing the camera is not the best approach.

*sigh*

Nov 21 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bogan wrote:
Why is it my fault if you have bad skin or your fat ass won't go to the gym, they want me to spend hours on touching up their body and the won't spend 10 @#!%ing minutes in a gym or take better care of their skin if they are truly a real "model".

LOL Then dont shoot with a fat ass model....

I am currently struggling with that as well... for some reason I though I was smaller .. then when I got some pics back.. I was like ooookay back to the drawing board.. hehe I want some abs damnit! I spent like 5 hours or so at the gym today wink and plan on doing so I just keep on looking better and better for my shoots! smile

Nov 21 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Photographers of the news should print the raw pic.

Artists creating dreams and fantasies can glow, blur and all that.

Nov 21 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Photoshop, like a tripod, light stand, reflector, gray card. etc, is simply a tool that can be used to make an image different from how it would otherwise be. Can you handhold a 300mm lens at 1/15th of a second and get a picture?  Sure.  No problem. If that's what you want.  Could that image be improved upon?  I'd say "yes" if the photographer had used the proper "tool".

So, just like a good photographer should probably use a tripod in the above example, he should probably also use PhotoShop to get the effect he desires. 

In the event you happen to be happy with a small arsenal of tools, no problem.  I hope you are happy with your tiny toolbox.

Nov 21 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Are you paid to take the picture or deliver a product?

If you are paid to simply take the pictures, shoot the shot and have a great day.

If it's the final product that you've been hired to take care of, then you need to deliver what the customer has in mind.

Nov 21 06 12:53 am Link