Forums > General Industry > outlet for sales

Photographer

David Chatfield

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi all.

Quick question I've been asked to cover a music event for an on line celebrity magazine, the question they asked was am I interested and do I have an outlet for these shots....
Before I make a tit of my self by asking stupid questions, would anyone know what he means by an outlet. Would it be for my benefit to sell to others or is that what I need for this type of work . there's Jessie j mc busted and a whole bunch more playing there so don't really want to mess up.

Thank you for any help.

David.

Www.davidchatfieldphotography.com

Mar 19 14 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Maybe they are wanting you to work for free on the basis that you get paid by your "outlet", thus saving them the expense?

Mar 19 14 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

David Chatfield wrote:
would anyone know what he means by an outlet.

Why not ask HIM?

Mar 19 14 04:11 am Link

Photographer

David Chatfield

London, England, United Kingdom

thanks for commenting,  well mark as I said in my message, I didnt want to sound an inexperienced tit.......! But have since bit the bullet and worded it so and yes its for free pics for him and an outlet for sales for me.........thought as much..  still going to take the offer as its not everyday you get to shoot some stars and if I get a vip pass its up to me to make the most of it.......time to practice some charm or cheek.

Mar 19 14 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

What makes a person inexperenced is assuming what is meant rather than asking.

"I'm sorry, but to be sure were on the same page, can you explain what outlet means? Thank you."

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Mar 19 14 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

An "outlet" refers to a "media outlet" - a magazine, newspaper, tv show, website, etc.  This question is common for event producers to help them get more post event media coverage.  In most cases, the event producer will give a credential to a media outlet than then selects the photographer.

The fact that they have this backwards is an indication that there is not enough media interest from legit large media outlets.  Its also an indication that they won't pay you directly, but are hoping you will work on your own to make sales.

As an established media photographer, I get hundreds of offers like this every year.  If they are not willing to pay you for your work, its a clear sign that they see no value in it.   Its also common to see them try to fill a red carpet with several photographers that they are not paying simply to make the event look more prestigious. In reality having multiple photographers trying to sell essentially the same photos to media outlets quickly diminishes their value.

Mar 21 14 01:58 am Link