Forums > General Industry > Calumet Chapter 7

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ … 8130.story

First Canoga Camera now Calumet.  What is the world coming to!

Mar 18 14 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Adorama?:-)))

Mar 18 14 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Vampman Studios

Chicago, Illinois, US

Although I can buy most of my equipment online (the main reason for the demise of the company) it had a superb repair shop. It's gonna be tough finding a place that can repair flashes, lenses, and screens. It's not like you could just toss them and get a new one!

Mar 19 14 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Oh yeah - I  forgot about their repair shop (I've been mostly lamenting losing their rental).
I still use my Balcar gear (Balcar's out of business), although I've moved to Profoto for light on the model. Calumet still repaired Balcar as recently as maybe 6 months ago when I called their repair facility with questions about one of the intermittent channels on one of my Concept packs. OUCH!

Mar 19 14 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Brian Scanlon wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ … 8130.story

First Canoga Camera now Calumet.  What is the world coming to!

I know! I live fairly close to where Canoga Camera used to be sad

Mar 19 14 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

GER Photography wrote:

Blasphemy!!!

Mar 19 14 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

AJ Garcia

Aliso Viejo, California, US

GER Photography wrote:

I don't think Adorama because they, along with B&H, have created a pretty large online presence. A lot of people I know order online from them so they reach nationally.  Calumet on the other hand sort of treated their online website as an after thought I feel.

Calumet closing is sad as it was the store within 10 mins of my home that I regular bought stuff from. In fact I bought my last DSLR from them, which benefited me because it ended up being defective. Took it to the store and within 20 mins they swapped it out for a new one. That's the benefit of the brick and mortar stores, the customer service.

Unfortunately the next closest store now is a 40 min drive from my home hmm so it's a sad time for me.

Mar 20 14 12:00 am Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

GER Photography wrote:

Are they in trouble ?
You have info ?

Mar 20 14 12:07 am Link

Photographer

DDDDC Photos

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Silvino's Pro Flash Rx, contact tel # (323) 962-7076
1301 McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA 90028
for flash repair go here.

Mar 20 14 05:37 am Link

Photographer

TheNormGallerys

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Biggest problem with THEM was they never had what-ever I needed to buy! The answer I always got was "we can have it here in a few days". Walk into Fullerton Camers and just buy it, no matter what. Plus THEY charged list price plus 25% or so it seemed.
    Also I personal know how they treated their employees like crap, look how they closed up the stores. Customers, if you had anything in for repairs, lots of luck getting it back anytime within the next year or so.
    One more thing I have never been employed by THEM, I give up buying from the Santa Ana store many years ago as a customer. The in store people were good, company was not so good.

Mar 20 14 05:55 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

RacerXPhoto wrote:

Are they in trouble ?
You have info ?

No, just meant that that's where everyone gets stuff instead.

Mar 20 14 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

RacerXPhoto wrote:

Are they in trouble ?
You have info ?

No!

Mar 20 14 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Prolens Photography wrote:
Silvino's Pro Flash Rx, contact tel # (323) 962-7076
1301 McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA 90028
for flash repair go here.

I'm pretty sure this is the guy who converted my Balcar Diamond Box (huge beauty dish) to Profoto.
He was really helpful. Took a lot of time to convert it while I waited. He's in this little shop, the walls stacked to the ceiling with packs/heads/parts.

Mar 20 14 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

Dang! I was just by the Tyson's (DC area) store earlier this week and it was closed. Have to move all my shopping online now I guess. Pity, I knew some of the sales rep for years as they gravitated from one area shop that went out of business to another.

Mar 20 14 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

GER Photography wrote:

Love the Arts wrote:
Blasphemy!!!

They are great! Adorama Pro sponsored a runway workshop I gave and was the main-sponsor for Launch NYC's inaugural fashion week...

Great people too!

Mar 20 14 03:45 pm Link