Forums > General Industry > Photographers - please warn models if...

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

1.  You are planning to shoot somewhere without temperature control:  your models will want to know so that they can bring blankets, fans, etc.

2.  You are planning to shoot somewhere with uneven or unstable floors that my have nails or glass on them:  your models will need to wear flat, comfortable shoes.

3.  You are planning to bring people to your shoot who will not be assisting you:  your models might feel uncomfortable about little kids / starring men hanging around.

4.  You are planning on getting your model wet or dirty: your model will need a towel.

5.  You are planning on shooting in a location without running water, mirrors or light: your model will need to add some things to her makeup kit.

I recently shot with a photographer who did not take these precautions and I am now in bed with a hurt back and a cold.  Please be responsible!

Nov 19 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Victoria Rodriguez

Miami, Arizona, US

THANK YOU  for posting this. I almost want to copy and paste this into my portfolio.

Nov 19 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It's not art if there is no suffering.

Nov 19 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally, I've never understood how people (on either side of the camera) can comfortably go into a shoot without knowing these details in the first place...

Nov 19 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

PK Brazil wrote:

You mean guy was in the complete torture watching her being uncomfortable ...lol ...

Nov 19 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Hmmmm.... I usually carry stuff to cover most of that, but have to admit, I didn't think of the running water.

Gotta get some bottles, I guess.

Nov 19 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

PK Brazil wrote:

My post wasn't about suffering.  I've done my fair share of physically uncomfortable shoots and I would do most of them over again.  My post was about warning models that they are going to be uncomfortable in the hopes that they will prepare themselves.  That said, I don't think any shot is worth endangering a model's health.

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Personally, I've never understood how people (on either side of the camera) can comfortably go into a shoot without knowing these details in the first place...

exactly what I was thinking

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
1.  You are planning to shoot somewhere without temperature control:  your models will want to know so that they can bring blankets, fans, etc.

2.  You are planning to shoot somewhere with uneven or unstable floors that my have nails or glass on them:  your models will need to wear flat, comfortable shoes.

3.  You are planning to bring people to your shoot who will not be assisting you:  your models might feel uncomfortable about little kids / starring men hanging around.

4.  You are planning on getting your model wet or dirty: your model will need a towel.

5.  You are planning on shooting in a location without running water, mirrors or light: your model will need to add some things to her makeup kit.

I recently shot with a photographer who did not take these precautions and I am now in bed with a hurt back and a cold.  Please be responsible!

I bring everything that might be necessary for a model.  Except feminie hygiene products.  Bring those yourself.

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

J Schumacher wrote:
Hmmmm.... I usually carry stuff to cover most of that, but have to admit, I didn't think of the running water.

Gotta get some bottles, I guess.

Me too but even bottles are covered smile

Nov 19 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Rael modles dont have limits!!! or we can find they out!!!

Nov 19 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

lotusphoto wrote:
Rael modles dont have limits!!! or we can find they out!!!

smile

Nov 19 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

and don't forget the beer!  smile

Nov 19 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I just bought a spaceheater for the studio...  All these issues are manageable, and should be just courtesy issues, but apparently some aren't all that concerned about the model...

Nov 19 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

PDXImaging wrote:
I just bought a spaceheater for the studio...  All these issues are manageable, and should be just courtesy issues, but apparently some aren't all that concerned about the model...

I had such a great experience last weekend! All the rooms in the studio had heaters turned on and I felt like a princess wink

Nov 19 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Sarah Hutch

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

My post wasn't about suffering.  I've done my fair share of physically uncomfortable shoots and I would do most of them over again.  My post was about warning models that they are going to be uncomfortable in the hopes that they will prepare themselves.  That said, I don't think any shot is worth endangering a model's health.

Well put. I usually try to come prepared for everything. I try to get as much info from the photographer as possible and then still cover some basic possibilities.

As I go to more shoots, I always learn, what to bring, what not to bring, etc. But it would be a bit overwhelming if all of those things went wrong on one photoshoot.

Nov 19 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

got it !!!

sarah please bring a shotgun we may encounter a few bears tongue

Nov 19 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

The giant squid is PERFECTLY safe.
I think.

Nov 19 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

I think #3 could apply is something the model should consider as well.

I shoot almost exclusively outdoors on location, and I pack my car accordingly !

Mark

Nov 19 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Dal

Peoria, Arizona, US

PK Brazil wrote:

HAHAHA love this!!!!

Nov 19 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

That's why you should never work with amateurs. . . smile Sue him for teh cost of health care you need. smile

Nov 19 06 01:29 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

good points

get well soon!!

Nov 19 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

A very good list.  The photographer should let the model know all aspects of the shoot. 

Full communication and consideration should go both ways so the experience is good for both model and photographer.

Nov 19 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

You wouldn't think you would need to post this, it's so obvious... but apparently some of the photographers haven't got it yet.

Nov 19 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

Roxy Sprocket

Portland, Arkansas, US

RStephenT wrote:
You wouldn't think you would need to post this, it's so obvious... but apparently some of the photographers haven't got it yet.

Considerate photographers (and people in general) can be few and far between sometimes.

Nov 19 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Roxy Sprocket wrote:

Considerate photographers (and people in general) can be few and far between sometimes.

So true!

Nov 19 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

I had such a great experience last weekend! All the rooms in the studio had heaters turned on and I felt like a princess wink

As you should feel in a shoot...

Nov 19 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
sarah please bring a shotgun we may encounter a few bears tongue

Can I bring honey instead?  I love bears.

Nov 19 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

as has been stated, you'd think this would be common sense, but unfortunately, no.
thankfully i haven't been in this situation, or put anyone else in this situation.
but i'll treat this as a reminder in case anything of this sort comes up.

Nov 19 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I do try to remember all these things, but may I add a word of advice for the models?

If you KNOW you're going to be modelling *nude* out in Nature, wear real shoes!
Not white & pink slippers that pretend to be sneakers, not boots with 3-inch heels. Solid, ugly hiking shoes or boots, or sneakers that you don't need to keep dry and clean. Please. In fact, all your clothes should be comfy, warm and tough if possible. Jeans, sweatpants. a jacket.

If I had a dollar for every time I've watched a model wobbling her way down a forest path or tripping over beach stones because she came dressed for the mall...

Nov 19 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings

"I KNOW it`s 40 degrees. Now,,,,take off your shoes and jump in the puddle!"

lol

Nov 19 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

Models: Take care of 1, 2, 4 automagically. Throw a towel, blanket and walking shoes in your trunk and always have them at the ready!

(although you should really know anyways going into the shoot, I agree...)

Nov 20 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
recently shot with a photographer who did not take these precautions and I am now in bed with a hurt back and a cold.  Please be responsible!

were these things not discussed between you & the photographer PRIOR to the shoot? i mean, you did both know what concept you were working on & how you were going to realize it, right?

not sure where the communication fell apart ...

F

Nov 20 06 01:31 am Link