Forums > General Industry > Would you work with a "cold relationship" model?

Photographer

Gratifixation M

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I've had nothing but bad experiences with a model lately, being stood up for a discussion meeting, and talking about money.  He is a handsome man and I really want to work with him because of his tattoo body art, but it would be a cold relationship, lacking any enthusiasm because of that first impression I got, and his nerve asking for money from a test shoot.  [I do test shots for the close-ups required in parts modeling.  If you have bad feet or lots of blemishes, its hard to pay top dollar]

If the model is attractive enough, and you know he/she would be a great addition to your portfolio, would you work with them in this situation?  I just feel like there would be no smiles, no excitement... just business to get paid.

Even though I want him, I don't think I should work with him.

Nov 19 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Nope.  CHemistry is 8/10ths of the shoot as far as I'm concerned.  If there isn't any, there isn't a shoot.   Just can't work with people when there's no connection.

Nov 19 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Not on a repeat basis. I'd rather work with someone who I have good rapport with and who gives all her emotion to the camera. Like the model in my avatar. An example of a "warm relationship" model!
https://static.flickr.com/106/300720760_6c10dbd287_o.jpg

Nov 19 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

the girl that dominates my portfolio shares a telepathic channel with me.  If we didn't have that connection, she'd owe me a lot more money smile  right now, I'm playing a game of how many photos I can edit from the same 2 shoots and pass them off as completely new photos.

Nov 19 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

FMfoto

Los Angeles, California, US

Shoots are no different than dates... sometimes you hit it off and have a great time, sometimes you just go through the motions.  The photos could lie a little, but just like a beautiful date it can be an empty experience.

Nov 19 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I wouldn't. I'm a firm believer in the model/photographer rapport. If we're not buds (at least for the duration of the shoot), the photos won't have the feeling I want.

Nov 19 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

part of the reason i have 100000 pictures of Audrey is because she and i have been friends for years, our shoots are so casual to the point of almost being an afterthought (as in, "oh, shit, we were gonna take pictures too, weren't we") while we're hanging out, and, of course, because she's damn beautiful.
honestly, i'm spoiled, and the initial awkwardness from working with new models often shows up in those first few pictures.

so to answer your question... i would say either warm the guy up somehow, get some sort of connection (you don't have to be best friends forever, or even drinking buddies), or move on. there are other models who don't need such coaxing along.

Nov 19 06 07:08 am Link

Model

xAudreyx

Madeira Beach, Florida, US

I hate when men ask me for money ;-)

jon mmmayhem wrote:
part of the reason i have 100000 pictures of Audrey is because she and i have been friends for years,

I have never even met you. Boy, do you owe me some $$...

Nov 19 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Antoine Thisdale

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Have you considered an assignment?  I personally can't afford to handpick models. If an agency hires you for a shoot, do you say "I have bad chemistry with this model, i won't do the shoot?".

Nov 19 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Audrey wrote:
I hate when men ask me for money ;-)

I have never even met you. Boy, do you owe me some $$...

but but but... i thought we were FRIENDS

Nov 19 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Gratifixation M wrote:
I've had nothing but bad experiences with a model lately, being stood up for a discussion meeting, and talking about money.  He is a handsome man and I really want to work with him because of his tattoo body art, but it would be a cold relationship, lacking any enthusiasm because of that first impression I got, and his nerve asking for money from a test shoot.  [I do test shots for the close-ups required in parts modeling.  If you have bad feet or lots of blemishes, its hard to pay top dollar]

If the model is attractive enough, and you know he/she would be a great addition to your portfolio, would you work with them in this situation?  I just feel like there would be no smiles, no excitement... just business to get paid.

For me the relationship/repoire is just as if not more important than the model's looks.  If there are bad vibes, no I would not work with him.

Nov 19 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sometimes you just have to - I made my living from doing portraits/glamour/boudoir fo 8 years, you have to be able to work with whomever walks in the door if you want to get paid, chemistry or no  - my own artistic endeavours are the exact opposite, no chemistry = no good images, which is why a "get to know you" shoot or a pre-shoot meeting over coffee is the  -rule

Nov 19 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Gratifixation M wrote:

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.

Nov 19 06 08:55 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

I as a model agree, I know I will be able to produce my end of great images if there is a level of comfort ,respect, enthusiasm and just a general friendly rapport to begin with.

Nov 19 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Personally, I don't take off points for people who are aggressive about their compensation. Although I agree it should be in phases -- negotiate when it's time to negotiate -- but once we start shooting, I'll go postal if you start begging for $$$. Time and a place for everything.

It's funny - back in the day when I was a corporate wonk, I was criticized by the HR department because the people I hired always tended to negotiate aggressively on their own behalf. I always said, "let me get this straight -- you want me to hire people to go out there and ruthlessly negotiate deals on behalf of this company, but you want them to just roll over when it comes to them negotiating for themselves? How does THAT work?"

I agree though -- chemistry counts. Unless this guy photographs like Michelangelo, I'd just move onto a more drama-free, diva-free zone.

Regards,
Paul

Gratifixation M wrote:

Nov 19 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I think the biggest problem with the model that you are describing is that he seems not to be very cooperative and seems to be generally rude. These are the models that usually cause problems before, during and after the shoot. I say pass - its not like there is a shortage of great looking models in the world. You may as well find the ones that have the look that you want and have a great personality too.

Nov 19 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

AThisdale wrote:
Have you considered an assignment?  I personally can't afford to handpick models. If an agency hires you for a shoot, do you say "I have bad chemistry with this model, i won't do the shoot?".

**ding***

Daily voice of reason award.

Nov 19 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Gratifixation M

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I left out the bad part so that I can get some objective thoughts from both sides.

The bad part is... he not only stood me up and didn't email me for a week afterward, but then his excuse for not showing up was a lie... he said his mom passed away when in reality he just got cold feet.  Cold feet was not about doing nude, but about meeting a stranger in a public place.

So in addition to being insulted and lied to, I now am expected pay him a percentage of the final compensation during the test shoot, and then the rest on the day of the shoot, even though he has the right to reject my offer or better yet, no-show on the day of contract signing - and then I lose whatever percentage I paid upfront.

Thanks for your comments!

Nov 19 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

AThisdale wrote:

Thank you...

Nov 19 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

Gratifixation M wrote:
If the model is attractive enough, and you know he/she would be a great addition to your portfolio, would you work with them in this situation?

I would approach the question from a totally different angle.  What is your goal, and how does this fit in with your goal?

I'd venture to guess that you are new and haven't yet fully learned how to use your camera.  You want to get experience with that so you can produce better pictures.  On the other hand you have found a "better subject" so you are drawn to shoot this particular model.  May I suggest you may not be ready for this model?

There are plenty of models who will shoot for pure TFP.  For that matter another photographer often suggests that a bleach bottle hanging on a rope makes a good test subject.  If you are still trying to figure out how to light and expose the subject, will you be getting your money's worth by paying a model?  Would you get the same benefit on a TFP shoot for less money?

Nov 19 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Hell, NO!  I shoot with 3 girls regularly.  Why?  Because we are all friends and enjoy our company and we do other things together.  WE have fun!!  Make great shots when the relationship is like that.

Nov 19 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

I also agree that some chemistry is important. Better one with no any other consequences but a great shoot result. 
There are shoots happening without it all the time, but usually not as successfull that ones with it.

Nov 19 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
Hell, NO!  I shoot with 3 girls regularly.  Why?  Because we are all friends and enjoy our company and we do other things together.  WE have fun!!  Make great shots when the relationship is like that.

I think you can call it "chemistry" as well. If you enjoy their company why not?

Nov 19 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

It depends on the situatuion. If it is a model that is assigned to you for a shoot that is a paid gig, sometimes you have to bite your tongue. But if you are in a beter position, then no.

Some things just aren't worth getting a headache over. My advice to you, look for other models. Believe it or not, there are other models out there who can give you what you want and can give you even more.

Several photographers on here pointed out that comfort is needed. I agree. Every model that I have worked with, I never had any problems with. A few I still keep in touch with because they are cool. If the chemistry isn't there, it will show in your work from both the model and your photography. Don't allow one fool to foul up your talents.

Nov 19 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

JBPhoto wrote:
Nope.  CHemistry is 8/10ths of the shoot as far as I'm concerned.  If there isn't any, there isn't a shoot.   Just can't work with people when there's no connection.

I disagree entirely.  At least 50% of being a good photographer is getting good results from even the worst situation.  If you're shooting commercially you don't have any choice but to get amazing results even if you have to work with a CEO who's ugly and a total prick or a model with an attitude problem or a crying screaming child who thinks you're the boogie man.

If you like the look and think it would make an interesting image, don't let your personal issues with this person get in the way.  The lack of chemistry might make things harder but if you're a good photographer you can overcome it.  Or at least get practice in making the best of the situation.

Nov 19 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

go with your gut he seems not interested so no i wouldn't go there

Nov 19 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jphoto wrote:
Not on a repeat basis. I'd rather work with someone who I have good rapport with and who gives all her emotion to the camera. Like the model in my avatar. An example of a "warm relationship" model!
https://static.flickr.com/106/300720760_6c10dbd287_o.jpg

She looks like she might be cold.

big_smile

sorry I'm bad. sad

Nov 19 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

heh

Nov 19 06 11:36 pm Link