Model

Samantha Green

Wahpeton, North Dakota, US

I've never received anything like this before and would like some opinions on whether or not this is legit.

Here is what I received first:

Hello,
I am Steve Murray a talent scout based in Europe at the verge of
establishing a global modeling portal which will keep you abreast of the
latest in the fashion world.Currently some clients of mine are looking to
sponsor plus-size models who would like to work internationally we are
carefully selecting plus-size models for our directory and we don't mix
professional models with newcomers. Also we shall forward your portfolio
to some top modeling companies in the United States and across Europe
which provides a forum for plus-size models to showcase their talents to
hundreds of modeling and casting agents within the industry.

Scouts and Photographers from well known agencies such as Ford, Elite, IMG,
Bijorhca Models Inc, LA Models, Fashion Model Netherland,New York Models will
attend the contests around the world.Payment of your Entry Fee,Flight
ticket,lodging expenses and submission of professional photos, including
headshots, and full length shots will be taken care of by my sponsors so if
you are interested reply me via email [email protected] attaching your
portfolio for further information.

Warmest Regards
Steve Murray

Then this is what I got when I responded back asking for more info:

Hello Samantha,
I acknowledge the reciept of your mail. Actually I am a published photographer and accredited freelance talent scout currently based here in Europe . I help models to achieve there goals and attain greater heights in their chosen career,I can also help you arrange for a sponsor who can pay a professional photographer here in Europe to build your profile and help you get jobs and meet people who will also help bulid your career.I make my own percentage and you make your own money,I will register you as an international model and post your pictures to different promoters across the globe then if you are chosen for an assignment or contract I get my percentage from the company as there accreditted agent and you get paid too for your assignment/contract with any of the modeling company.
For more information on the shows and dates click on this websites www.fashion-411.com , www.eventseye.com, www.jckgroup.com , www.bijorhca.com www.fmi.it/macef.com , www.pariscapitaledelacreation.com , www.cosmoworlds.com , www.ontoeurope.com  .I have associated myself with the best photographers and agents in the business, and the models I have had the privilege of working with well what can I say. I used to do alot of work in Atlanta Georgia because of my friendship with renowned photographer "Rick Hughes" whom I will forever be in debt for the knowledge he has past on to me.But currently I relocated to london to run my own agency and help models attain greater heights in their chosen career because Europe is where the big money is. So if you are still interested in what I have offered just fill the modeling form below this mail and send back Asap together with your pictures so that I can forward them to the modeling companies for screening and approval.

Hope to hear from you soon

Warmest Regards
Steve Murray

MODEL INFORMATION

RealName:
Date of Birth:
Bust:
Waist:
Hips:
Eyes:
Hair:
Dress:
Shoes:
Ethnicity:
Weight:
Skin color:
Cup:
Hat:
Suit:
Shirt:
Neck:
Inseam:

MODELING INTERESTS
Hair / Makeup 
Print / Catalog 
TV / Video 

LANGUAGES:

TALENTS:

MORE DETAILS
General education: 

Model education: 

Travel availability:

Model Description:

Bio:

Awards

Legit or not?

Nov 18 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

google his name and that may help more.
I did not see him ask for money upfront or any bank info
so just research him.
I notice his compnay name is not mentioned.
maybe scam!

Nov 18 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click this link - https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=65240

... and yes, it's a scam which has been discussed many times before, both on MM and many other internet websites.

Nov 18 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Hmmm... A published photographer and accredited talent scout uses a free email service like Yahoo?

Nov 19 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I cannot imagine that this would be real, since it doesn't make sense. 

There is an interesting wrinkle to this one that I hadn't seen before, though:  the reference to Rick Hughes, who is a known photographer and MM member.

www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=73351

It might be interesting to get Rick's take on it.

Nov 19 06 09:29 am Link

Model

Samantha Green

Wahpeton, North Dakota, US

Thanks... I just emailed him.

-SG

Nov 19 06 11:10 pm Link

Model

lanoirpapillion

Moorhead, Minnesota, US

Thanks for this thread. I just got this email myself.

Nov 19 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Samantha Green wrote:
Thanks... I just emailed him.

-SG

DOPE!  [as homer simpson would say]....CONGRATULATIONS!  You are now on their repeted e-mail list.  Be prepared to get tons of variations of this type of scam for the years to come....Not to mention, all the junk mail they may want to send as well.  My advice for the future, delete and NEVER respond to e-mails from whom you do not know.

Nov 19 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Remember!  I know a lot of naive individuals out there are awaiting to be discovered, to win a million dollars, or be the sole receipant of some lost realtives estate.  Now I know this may come to some of you as a shocker, but, unfortunately, NONE of this is going to come to you via e-mail.  Don't believe everything you are told, especially if it comes from an e-mail.  Be VERY, VERY, skeptical.  If something is to good to be true, then logic has always stated that it probably is.

Nov 19 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Interesting, they've tailored it to target specific types of models (in this case plus-sized) now.  I guess too many of the mainstream types know it's a fraud.
Petites next?

Nov 20 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:

There is an interesting wrinkle to this one that I hadn't seen before, though:  the reference to Rick Hughes, who is a known photographer and MM member.

You beat me to it Tx, I saw this late
You'd think they'd not post this to someone who's got real potential to contact the guy whose name they drop lol

Nov 20 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

cisstudio wrote:

DOPE!  [as homer simpson would say]....CONGRATULATIONS!  You are now on their repeted e-mail list.  Be prepared to get tons of variations of this type of scam for the years to come....Not to mention, all the junk mail they may want to send as well.  My advice for the future, delete and NEVER respond to e-mails from whom you do not know.

I could not agree more....After responding to unknown senders a couple of times and then being deluged with spam.  Wise advice !!!

Nov 20 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

l0stinsandieg0

Escondido, California, US

Among all other suspicious things, I think if it's from a legit agency, they should have their own email from their registered domain, not from  yahoo.com :-)

Nov 20 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Rick Hughes Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well, here's the deal.

He may have attended some past workshops of mine, but I don't recognize his name.  I hate to say that I don't know him because I have had so many attend past workshops, but I can't place a face and I don't recognize the name off the top of my head.

Nov 20 06 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Anyone heard from that Hughes/Smith pal Steve Griffith (Griffin?) lately? Didn't he (claim to) shoot for UK Vogue?

Nov 20 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Rick Hughes Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hi Tom.  Lol.  I have not heard from him...lol.  He lived near JT.  I did not really know him at all, but he was a piece of work, huh?

Nov 20 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Rick Hughes Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have written to Steve Murray and asked him where he knows me from.  I will let you know if I get a response

Nov 20 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Click this link - https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=65240

... and yes, it's a scam which has been discussed many times before, both on MM and many other internet websites.

i am glad this got posted.
this is a pretty clever scam, because it seems tailored to particular models and because it is more subtle that the typical, 'we promise you the world, but send us $300 first' scam.  people need to get as much info. as they can

- always check the originator of on unsolicited emails
-be wary of big-time promises, unless it is a big-time outfit
-as others have said, be careful about replying from your own email account

Nov 20 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Rick Hughes Photography wrote:
Hi Tom.  Lol.  I have not heard from him...lol.  He lived near JT.  I did not really know him at all, but he was a piece of work, huh?

Indeed he was! The Schpiel in the OP put him in my mind.

Nov 20 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

You are about to become a big hit in Nigeria!

Nov 20 06 09:30 am Link