Forums > General Industry > Yes another rate question

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

ok.. yes ive looked at the other rate pages and really it doesnt give me any idea.ive asked a few people.. just want a little more input

I was asked to do a 5 minute video for a designers ( gowns) website.( in NYC) Its going to take 3/4 hours with hair and make up.
Any suggestions of what I should charge.
usual stock shoots prices i see are : 200-300
should I charge $50 hr? Some past projects Ive done for photographers that take usually less than an hour is $50.
I was going to use what I got paid for microsoft..but thats like $180hr.
no clue help me mayhemers smile
thanks for reading have a great weekend , and thanks in advance to those who respond

Nov 17 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

charge what the customer is willing to pay, and an amount that makes the customer feel like they got good value for their money so they will invite you back again.

Nov 17 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

You can't get any reliable information on rates from a web site like this.  Rates simply vary greatly, primarily on the appeal of the model & the local expectations.  Think about it:  rates would vary greatly -- a model in L.A. or NYC might expect a rate different from a model in Little Rock.  Further, a young, up & coming beauty wouldn't get the same rate as your tired old kindergarten teacher.

Instead, I suggest the following:

>>>  Talk to local models & photographers.  Establish a little local photographic community.  You can discuss rates, share references, pool resources, etc.  A local community is a better place to ask this question than this global community of MM.

>>>  Learn some negotiation skills -- that'll come in handy throughout your life.  Some principles:
   ---  The first person to mention a price is at a disadvantage.  Ask the photographer
          how much the job pays.

---  Before you start negotiation, it's a good idea to know what you want & the
         the bare minimum you'll accept.  If you can't get the bare minimum, don't be
         afraid to walk away.

---  Always wince a bit while negotiating.

---  Don't make your final offer too soon.

Good luck.

Nov 17 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

carra wrote:
ok.. yes ive looked at the other rate pages and really it doesnt give me any idea.ive asked a few people.. just want a little more input

I was asked to do a 5 minute video for a designers ( gowns) website. Its going to take 3/4 hours with hair and make up.
Any suggestions of what I should charge.
usual stock shoots prices i see are : 200-300
should I charge $50 hr? Some past projects Ive done for photographers that take usually less than an hour is $50.
I was going to use what I got paid for microsoft..but thats like $180hr.
no clue help me mayhemers smile
thanks for reading have a great weekend , and thanks in advance to those who respond

Blind call a company in your area that specializes in the same thing then use that quote to establish your price with your client.

Nov 17 06 01:38 pm Link