Forums > General Industry > Who is going to upgrade to Windows Vista?

Photographer

Rick Hughes Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Who is going to upgrade to Windows Vista?
With all of the memory hogging programs we use as shooters I am wondering if Vista is necessary. I know that yo can't allow yourself to fall behind. Is this one of those times when upgrading is necessary?

I am sure I will upgrade though probably not immediately. I will let a few bugs get worked out.

Nov 17 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Not me.....
I'm happy with my Windows 98.

(If it works why mess with it?)

Nov 17 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Already in the process.
waiting for the Licening agreement to come in.

smile

Nov 17 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

Upgrade?  Moving from coach to 1st class is an upgrade. Moving to Vista  will be like running the marathon with 20 lb lead weights in your shoes.

Nov 17 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Isn't the recommended memory configuration 2GB? God only knows what it will be for Photoshop running on Vista. . . .

Nov 17 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Scott Kennelly

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Everyone . . . eventually.

Nov 17 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Its a memory hog from what I have heard. They like to add usless stuff for the run of the mill moron with a computer I have a feeling it will get in the way of big programs. Also it is bug heaven right now I'd give it 2 years before I would chance my stuff to it.

Nov 17 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Scott Kennelly

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Chris Macan wrote:
Not me.....

It DOESN'T work.

Nov 17 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Run it on VMWare first... but I'm in no rush.. no rush at all..

Nov 17 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

I always wait until the first service pack.
However, if I had to buy a new system, I wouldn't hesitate if it was already installed.

Nov 17 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

CICADA MOTION PICTURES

Buffalo, New York, US

What the fuck is a "Windows Vista"?! Do yourselves a real favor and get OS Leopard for Mac when the time comes! Get Aperture too! Oh, yeah and get a Mac while you're at it. No photographer should be without one. A Mac that is.

Note: This has been a paid advertisment for Apple computers.

*just kidding*

But what the fuck is a "Windows Vista" anyway?! Seriously. lol

Nov 17 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm in no hurry.  New software will just bring a whole bunch of bugs 'n security problems until they get all the patches in place.  Also, the game plan for Microsoft is to release new bloatware every few years forcing everybody to scrap their old hardware in favor of new stuff which can handle the new seemingly bizzare hardware requirements.  Meanwhile the actual speed and utility of the system stays about the same.  It's just a way to suck money out of the users.

For example, my laptop and one of my desktops can only take 1 gig of memory each.  Both will probably be useless with Vista.  My PS computer is a dual core beast and it's relatively new.  That one had better be able to handle Vista.

Nov 17 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Scott Kennelly

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Vidmandave wrote:
Its a memory hog from what I have heard. They like to add usless stuff for the run of the mill moron with a computer I have a feeling it will get in the way of big programs. Also it is bug heaven right now I'd give it 2 years before I would chance my stuff to it.

I heard that Windows 95 was a memory hog when it came out. Hmmmm...

I also heard (and experienced) the memory "hogginess" of WinXP when it came out. I tried using a Fast Dell workstation that was misconfigured with only 128 MB of RAM, and realized that 256 MB was a realistic minimum for WinXP. So, would you say WinXP is a memory hog today?

Most new OSes are memory hogs when they first come out. It's my guess that Windows Vista will be the best all-around expandable cross-platform performer in history. You'll be able to install it and run it on the system you bought or built last year, which only has 512 MB of RAM, or you'll be able to install it on the brand new dual-processor system you'll build next month to replace your old machine as your photo editing workstation, because you plan to install 8 GB of RAM, which Windows Vista will take full advantage of (as opposed to Windows 98, which can't). The Aero interface will give you many subtle advantages while you use this new system, though once you start to really stretch your legs in your new computing environment you'll start to realize that there really is a need for the faster dual-core processors that have been coming out this year.

Windows Vista is the future of Microsoft. Linux and OSX stand ready to take a huge bite out of Microsoft's market share in the near future, so Microsoft isn't going to play around. They've done a great (spectacular) job with WinXP (which I think is superior to OSX Tiger in many ways), and they certainly aren't going to step backward - not with all that hangs in the ballance.

We'll see, but it's my guess that Vista will be the X killer. Once Vista's wrinkles get smoothed out (mid-2007) and giants like HP, Dell, and Sony start delivering their next generation of dual-core dual-processor machines with 2 GB configurations running Aero, Apple really will need Time Machine (just to survive).

Nov 17 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

CICADA MOTION PICTURES wrote:
What the fuck is a "Windows Vista"?! Do yourselves a real favor and get OS Leopard for Mac when the time comes! Get Aperture too! Oh, yeah and get a Mac while you're at it. No photographer should be without one. A Mac that is.

Note: This has been a paid advertisment for Apple computers.

*just kidding*

But what the fuck is a "Windows Vista" anyway?! Seriously. lol

Microsofts Latest Operating System

Nov 17 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Isn't the recommended memory configuration 2GB? God only knows what it will be for Photoshop running on Vista. . . .

Waiting to upgrade my computer first.
Running a P4 , 1.5mhz ,Windows XP with approx 640mb ram. I can get by with PhotoShop right now but if I shoot RAW , I need 2GB memory first and a faster cpu

Nov 17 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Chris Macan wrote:
Not me.....

Scott Kennelly wrote:
It DOESN'T work.

What doesn't work?
Vista or Windows 98?
You’re reply was a bit vague.

Nov 17 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Scott Kennelly wrote:
It's my guess that Windows Vista will be the best all-around expandable cross-platform performer in history. You'll be able to install it and run it on the system you bought or built last year, which only has 512 MB of RAM, or you'll be able to install it on the brand new dual-processor system you'll build next month to replace your old machine as your photo editing workstation, ...

Somebody believes the hype!

Nov 17 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Scott Kennelly wrote:
...snip.. It's my guess that Windows Vista will be the best all-around expandable cross-platform performer in history. You'll be able to install it and run it on the system you bought or built last year, which only has 512 MB of RAM, or you'll be able to install it on the brand new dual-processor system you'll build next month to replace your old machine as your photo editing workstation, because you plan to install 8 GB of RAM, which Windows Vista will take full advantage of (as opposed to Windows 98, which can't). The Aero interface will give you many subtle advantages while you use this new system, though once you start to really stretch your legs in your new computing environment you'll start to realize that there really is a need for the faster dual-core processors that have been coming out this year. ...snip...

Here in the heartland Windows Vista, is commonly called "MS Resista"  as [in Beta] it seems to resist a lot of configuration changes....techs and users are having to reload, [commonly called a "loadOver"] the operating system, after several programs are loaded into the machine at the same time.....this doesn't seem to be a fluke, I understand MS knew about the possability and are working on the issue?!?!

I also agree with your statement, MS has a lot riding on this release, but since the conversion of the MAC to Intel based architecture, MS is securing it's place by diluteing the competition....It's the american way

As for the OP....I rushed from 95 to 98, and from 98 to NT, and from NT to XP....this time I am waiting, and I may be one of the last guys on the Mayhem to change!!!

Good luck to you all!
Charlie 
And 98 workes great, I still have a 98 machine up and running!

Nov 17 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

My laptop is a Centrino 1.6ghz with a gig of ram.. It works fine for 90% of my needs. My main desktop is an AMD Athlon 64 bit with 2 gigs ram.. It handles the rest.  I have XP pro on both, with NO plans to change to vista.

I would, however, drop both systems in a heartbeat for a macbook pro.

Nov 17 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

When DX10 vid cards and HD capable cable card using TV tuners are both common and not insanely overpriced..  I'll get Vista..

Until then the major reasons I want it (HD Media Center PC and Photoshop in 64bit) are too expensive and unreleased..

Nov 17 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

Will give it a little time to bake. Probably would plan to have 4 g of ram together before the change.

Nov 17 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

My Dell was shipped a year ago with XP Pro 64bit OS. Still trying to get it together with that..

Nov 17 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i have a dual boot system

win2kpro for the windows based graphics programs that are out now

a linux partion for everything else

since i won't have to buy new windows apps and linux is free, i'll never have to pay for software again

Nov 17 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I like the thumbnail size adjustment slider in Vista. These new righ resolution monitors make too many things too small to see.

Nov 17 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i am thinking about getting a new HIGH end computer built unforantly the only choice i have is to get it i am using 2000 now and it ben ok i would like to use linics but way to complicated for me and availability of programs is low it is just XP or 2000 are not going to let me run 64 programs fully

i am looking in to getting

ADM Athlon 64X2 5000+ 2.60hz

4gig ddr 2 ram

2 graphics cards 512 on each ddr 2

2 500 gig hard drives

and some other things

Nov 17 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

CICADA MOTION PICTURES

Buffalo, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Microsofts Latest Operating System

Oh, I knew that man. Even though I said seriously at the end I was still joking. Kind of like if someone said, "Who the fuck is John Malkovich"?, and they were standing on a red carpet 5 feet away from the man.

I am a bonafide Macintosh guy. Apple all the way. I keep up on the OS's for other home computing apparatus such as the so called "PC", but I'm Mac all the way. I was just being silly with that remark that's all.

Nov 17 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I wouldn't touch it for at LEAST the first year till the major bugs & security laws are worked out.
Not to mention their new security software verification system requires periodic re-contact to verify...like DAILY.  That means your system will DEMAND you connect to the net at least once a day so it can dial in to Microsoft.
That makes me a bit nervous.

Nov 17 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I wouldn't touch it for at LEAST the first year till the major bugs & security laws are worked out.
Not to mention their new security software verification system requires periodic re-contact to verify...like DAILY.  That means your system will DEMAND you connect to the net at least once a day so it can dial in to Microsoft.
That makes me a bit nervous.

thanks, i decided to go to linux for the money, lack of virus', the fact that vista was 3 gigs compressed and 12 gigs expanded (tried the beta version from ms), but having ms scan my computer on a daily basis is too much

linux is free, you can go to barnes and noble and get it in a magazine that costs ten bucks

with it you will get

open office =a microsoft office

gimp=photoshop elemets

plus tons more

if you went out and bought windows xp, and all the software that comes free with linux you'd spend $2k

l

Nov 17 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I'm in no hurry to get Vista!

Nov 19 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Apple.  that is all.

Nov 19 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
Apple.  that is all.

Eve said that once, and look what happened  wink

Nov 19 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Eve said that once, and look what happened  wink

what?  that they had to move out of their home and finally fend for themselves? bah, it happens to all of us. LOL

okay well then....

Mac, that is all. lol

Nov 19 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
what?  that they had to move out of their home and finally fend for themselves? bah, it happens to all of us. LOL

okay well then....

Mac, that is all. lol

Mac & cheese, sounds good.
Computers you can't do anything with, not so good.  smile

Nov 19 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

Not I.  MS has spent what...4 years trying to cram bad copies of Mac OS X features into this Vista thing?   I'll just stick with the smooooth running real thing thanks.

Nov 19 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SLE Photography wrote:

Agreed. Virusboxes suck.

Love my Mac.  smile

Nov 19 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Offshore Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Just brought home my mac pro dual core and aperature smile
Who needs vista smile

Nov 19 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

SLE Photography wrote:

not at all true, smile i build compies(nerd speak for computers), i also program, and i love Mac (especially for graphic work, design work, and I even know quite a few engineers who love it as well). you can do everything that a PC can do on it but smoother, better, faster. smile Vista is the Windows' "wanna-be Mac OS".  Even the people who work for Windows dare not use it.  Most of them use Mac.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Nov 19 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Offshore Photography wrote:
Just brought home my mac pro dual core and aperature smile
Who needs vista smile

Aperture rocks.  My workflow is so much smoother with it now - don't know how I got along without it (well, bridge - which was survivable).

Enjoy your new mac!

Nov 19 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Offshore Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Avicdar wrote:

Aperture rocks.  My workflow is so much smoother with it now - don't know how I got along without it (well, bridge - which was survivable).

Enjoy your new mac!

Thanks I am lovin the switch froom bridge to aperture Very different no destructive workflow.
I was blown away.
have a great one and great work you produce smile

Nov 19 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

l0stinsandieg0

Escondido, California, US

I'm switching to Mac, now that I can afford it, LOL

Nov 19 06 03:17 am Link