Forums > General Industry > Looking for some advice

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hello;
I am throwing around the idea of opening my own art gallery here in Cleveland, Ohio.
I am wondering if any other photographers here have tried this. I am considering it as I am having trouble in this town finding more then 1 gallery that would even consider my style(most want classic art, like flowers and a guy riding a bike through those flowers. Nothing against that style, it just isn't me). If you have had experience doing this good or bad please let me know.
So I am thinking if there is a lack of places to show this work, there is a lack of places to see this work. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people in Cleveland that would be interested in this type of place. This would be open to any/all artists, in fact I would probably work less at first. If you are local, I would appreciate some help here too.
So basically I am just looking for other people's insight as to whether or not this could be a good idea or a catastrophic failure.

Thanks
Kevin
Lazyi Photography
Conceptuallyblack.com

Nov 17 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

bump

Nov 17 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I dunno -- this strikes me as going the long way around.

I know we all like to make jokes about Cleveland, but seriously, that's a pretty major city. I can't believe that they don't have some good places to exhibit there. Have you considered coffeeshops, trendy bars, restaurants? On both coasts, these are popular places for photogs to exhibit.

If you want to be a gallery owner, open a gallery. But to do so just to show your own work sounds a little risky to me, unless you have a reputation bigger than Jesus.

Lazyi Photography wrote:
Hello;
I am throwing around the idea of opening my own art gallery here in Cleveland, Ohio.
I am wondering if any other photographers here have tried this. I am considering it as I am having trouble in this town finding more then 1 gallery that would even consider my style(most want classic art, like flowers and a guy riding a bike through those flowers. Nothing against that style, it just isn't me). If you have had experience doing this good or bad please let me know.
So I am thinking if there is a lack of places to show this work, there is a lack of places to see this work. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people in Cleveland that would be interested in this type of place. If you are local, I would appreciate some help here too.
So basically I am just looking for other people's insight as to whether or not this could be a good idea or a catastrophic failure.

Thanks
Kevin
Lazyi Photography
Conceptuallyblack.com

Nov 17 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

let's say you have rent=1000/mo, electricity=100/mo, misc expences, 400/mo

thats

1500/mo

you sell a print of yours for 50 and it costs 5 in costco, thats 45 profit

1500/45 =33.33, so, you have to sell 33-34 prints/mo to break even

that's 1 a day, except for 4 days you sell two..

if you sold 2 per day you'd be getting rich!

how many people in cleveland have said they want to come by and look at all your work and buy a print or two?

Nov 17 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm sorry, I wrote this late, I didn't mean to say I would only display my own work(in fact while doing this I would work less), rather I would be opening a place for all alternative artists. Yes the coasts have something great, but Cleveland has plenty of gallerys, just nothing I can find in an edgy community art gallery.

Nov 17 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Lazyi Photography wrote:
I'm sorry, I wrote this late, I didn't mean to say I would only display my own work(in fact while doing this I would work less), rather I would be opening a place for all alternative artists. Yes the coasts have something great, but Cleveland has plenty of gallerys, just nothing I can find in an edgy community art gallery.

still the same answer as above, you have to figure how many people will buy your stuff, what you will take off the top when you sell someone elses print, if you get a place where you can serve coffee (or blood), will you have a studio in the back..

Nov 17 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

lotusphoto wrote:
still the same answer as above, you have to figure how many people will buy your stuff, what you will take off the top when you sell someone elses print, if you get a place where you can serve coffee (or blood), will you have a studio in the back..

A place to serve coffee/blood too, so tieing in a drink license might be something to check out(not alcohol that would be waaayy to much work, like running a bar), plus I hadn't thought of that.

Nov 17 06 01:27 pm Link