Forums > General Industry > ''X'' marks the spot(s)... and I gotta ask why!

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

I really have no idea why this is on my mind... if I am just not clued in to some basic unwritten rule... if it's a legit aesthetic question... if I am ranting... or what! ;-) But...
I see so many implied nude photos using black electric tape to make an "X" over the model's nipples. Now, I am not a fan of the "handbra" either (it's so cliche and soooo overdone), but the black tape on the nipples -- for me -- is just visually displeasing and distracting from the image's content (unless, perhaps, the artist WANTS us to think about black electrical tape). Plus, I have to admit to thinking "ouch" every time I see it. ;-) Is there something specific about "black electrical tape over the nipples"? I guess the only thing less aesthetic for me would be those lovely big black stars sometimes PhotoShopped over a model's nipples...
OK, I get it. I am ranting. Whew! :-)

Nov 16 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

It's edgy?

Nov 16 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Skydancer wrote:
I really have no idea why this is on my mind... if I am just not clued in to some basic unwritten rule... if it's a legit aesthetic question... if I am ranting... or what! ;-) But...
I see so many implied nude photos using black electric tape to make an "X" over the model's nipples. Now, I am not a fan of the "handbra" either (it's so cliche and soooo overdone), but the black tape on the nipples -- for me -- is just visually displeasing and distracting from the image's content (unless, perhaps, the artist WANTS us to think about black electrical tape). Plus, I have to admit to thinking "ouch" every time I see it. ;-) Is there something specific about "black electrical tape over the nipples"? I guess the only thing less aesthetic for me would be those lovely big black stars sometimes PhotoShopped over a model's nipples...
OK, I get it. I am ranting. Whew! :-)

Hmmm, sometimes, depending on the theme of the shot, the x adds to it! I kinda like it smile Now, in a glam, sexy, soft shoot...yeah, kind of an eyesore..

Nov 16 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

ask Wendy O Williams.

Nov 16 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

The good old USofA. SEX is bad. Nude is bad. Body parts are bad. I for one don't get it. We can see all we want if we have a little shame covering the rudeness. Tape on the titty seems to be an American thing. Not so much in Europe. How did shame and guilt get mixed up with art. From Egypt to the Impressionist 3000 years no tape on the titty.

Nov 16 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
ask Wendy O Williams.

When is the sceance?

Wendy was the lead singer for a punk band known as the Plasmatics. The tape over the nipples was her uniform. Meant to shock and challenge authority...anyone who does it has W.O.W. to thank...

Nov 16 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

They couldn't afford caution tape?

Nov 16 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
They couldn't afford caution tape?

Or a belt?

Nov 16 06 06:20 pm Link