Forums > General Industry > Oh my God! I may be a GWC!!!

Photographer

Images by Yancy

Roseville, California, US

Although it's said that self-awareness is a beautiful thing, this realization that I may be a GWC has hit me particularly hard and below the belt.

I was contemplating my next shoot and, while thinking about this site as well as other sites that I participate, it dawned on me that there were certain "truths" that, while may be meaningless in and of themselves, when added together has driven me to ponder GWC status as my new reality.

Let's take a look at the clues:

1. While I have what is, arguably, the highest consumer grade camera in the Canon family (Digital Rebel xti), it's still not a professional grade camera.

2. I've never shot a MM model. In fact, I only get about a 50% response rate when sending emails regarding interest in shooting.

3. My website is "under construction"....still.

4. My shooting space is my converted garage.

5. I've come to accept that some models on MM are way out of my league.

6. I've never charged for my work.

7. Still unable to properly describe my "style". Pretty sure I don't actually HAVE one yet.

8. I have more questions than answers regarding this business.

I won't be giving up anytime soon. But I'm a little shaken right now.

I'm having a tough day!

Nov 16 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

The most recent images in your port are by far the best.
Continue improving at this rate and you won't have to worry about it at all...

Nov 16 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

PENTOGRAPHY

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

You have to start somewhere :-)

Btw, if I don't care to shoot people in the nude, does that make me a GWC?

This is from the info link.

What is a GWC?

GWC is an acronym for "Guy With Camera." It's a derogatory term for amateur photographer that's taken the interweb by storm. It usually implies that said guy is only interested in photography to get hot ladies to get nekkid for him.

Nov 16 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Girl Without Clitoris? Man, that would suck.

Nov 16 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

crazybaby

Peterborough, England, United Kingdom

By no means would i look at your port and signle it out as a GWC.. they are great pics xxx

Nov 16 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

remember, in photography, it's never about what you shoot with but when.

Nov 16 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Knechtschaft Studio

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, US

I hear you. I'm there with ya on most of your realizations.

Though, if you aren't in it to get laid, that would seem to take you out of the GWC category, if you go by the accepted definition. smile

Images by Yancy wrote:
Although it's said that self-awareness is a beautiful thing, this realization that I may be a GWC has hit me particularly hard and below the belt.

Nov 16 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kountz

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Images by Yancy wrote:

I was contemplating my next shoot and, while thinking about this site as well as other sites that I participate, it dawned on me that there were certain "truths" that, while may be meaningless in and of themselves, when added together has driven me to ponder GWC status as my new reality.

1. While I have what is, arguably, the highest consumer grade camera in the Canon family (Digital Rebel xti), it's still not a professional grade camera.

2. I've never shot a MM model. In fact, I only get about a 50% response rate when sending emails regarding interest in shooting.

7. Still unable to properly describe my "style". Pretty sure I don't actually HAVE one yet.

I'm having a tough day!

Except for #2 up there, I could have written ths post.   Nobody's born into the equipment, talent and experience.  I may never be a true professional, but I love what I do and so do the people I work with, and that's good enough for me.

From looking at your work I wouldn't consider you a GWC, by the way.

Nov 16 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Images by Yancy wrote:

I'm having a tough day!

Dont give up! Your pics are good and they'll get batter as you progress, Im sure, I know mine did! I started my model mayhem with four snapshots, one of which I was in my HALLOWEEN costume for God's sake! smile Now all my pics are professional, I did a TON of TFCD and made sure I learned something new from every single shoot. And no matter what grade your camera is or how expensive the studio you shoot in is, someone who just does it to see some titties and have girls take off their clothes is still a GWC in my book...I have run across more than a couple "professional" GWC's. You dont strike me as that. Push on!

Nov 16 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

well once you admit it that means it's time to take the next step.

Nov 16 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

So is a fantastically skilled photographer that is only interested in getting women naked considered a GWC? If GWC is defined by someone's skills, then everybody would be a GWC at least in the beginning. I personally think it's a ridiculous term because it leaves everybody's work up for criticism and should it not "make the grade" in an individual's mind, the person is automatically labelled a GWC. If anything it shouldn't be about the skill level but rather the intent.

Nov 16 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Poddjam

Miami Beach, Florida, US

My problem with many of the things you listed as indicators of being a GWC is that they are only a function of money.

A wealthy guy who is able to invest in the highest grade professional camera and commercial studio space can still have less than noble intentions. Knowledge of a photographer's intent is imho the only way to determine the accuracy of a GWC label (great images vs. personal sexual gratification). As such no one else will  be able to really answer the question for you, not based on your equipment, location or quality of images ... your motivation for taking pictures is entirely your own and if you take great pictures, I don't really care.

Nov 16 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Are you shooting with the intent on getting your rocks off by seeing girls naked or with the intent of dating/ screwing/ snarking the models?

if the answer to that is yes, then you're a GWC.  if it's no then none of that other shit matters.

Nov 16 06 03:38 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Ransom J wrote:
Are you shooting with the intent on getting your rocks off by seeing girls naked or with the intent of dating/ screwing/ snarking the models?

if the answer to that is yes, then you're a GWC.  if it's no then none of that other shit matters.

Hit the nail right on the head.

Nov 16 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Yancy

Roseville, California, US

Thanks for all of your replies.

Although my original intent with this post was tongue-and-cheek, it came off as more of a lament.

I'm relatively new to the whole "model" thing. In the past I had mainly done travel, nature, and some lifestyle photos. But as I was taking more photos, I realized that there were many challenges to be had and growth to be realized by shooting people.

The truth is that I am NOT shooting women as a way of getting laid. I'm shooting because I NEED to shoot, I HAVE to shoot. It's like with my music (I write and record my own songs and played in bands for a number of years back in the day). I get a song idea in my head and if I don't record and finish it, it just keeps bouncing around in my head till I'm ready to burst. I've run my own business for the past 27 years (not photography) and if I didn't have some kind of creative outlet, I think I would actually go crazy.

So, I'll keep pluggin' away. Thanks again for your encouragement and comments.

Nov 16 06 04:58 pm Link