Forums > General Industry > Directors blowing smoke

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I went to an audition tonight and the director told me I did well. My problem is that I have never had a director not tell me that and I know that despite my incredible natural acting talent I have not been Academy Award material at every audition. I'd like a director to tell me I suck and why at an audition if and when I do suck. Any help here?

Nov 15 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
i'm not a director, but i watch tv...

you suck..

hope that helps..

i dont really think you suck, i don't even know you..

Nov 16 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
i'm not a director, but i watch tv...

you suck..

hope that helps..

I dont watch TV but I fancy myself a producer of pretty images, I dont think you suck, would like to see you tell a story with no words

Nov 16 06 02:13 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

maybe you are good,but others got the job because they are better

Nov 16 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Sometimes it's not even that, but more of a 'do you fit in' with who else they have already cast or will cast. There are so many reasons that great actors get passed up for roles, that you shouldn't assume that it's because you weren't good enough. If they say you were good, you were good.

Rejected a bazillion times, for a bazillion reasons:

DawnElizabeth

Nov 16 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:
Any help here?

auditions are about vision.  directors look for very specific "big picture" qualities at the audition process far more than individual qualities.  one could be the best actor in the world but if they don't fit the vision it won't help.  also, better directors aren't critics at the audition stage of the game.

--face reality

Nov 16 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

It's not the time or the place, nor is it their job.

It is not a master class, it is an audition, which means it is a job interview.  Most castings have hundreds of people auditioning for each role, and the audition process, like every part of the filmmaking process, is expensive to conduct - there is no time to be instructive.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is how it is.

EDIT: Also while you may be terrible for the project for which you are auditioning, you may be perfect for something in the future.  Or perhaps you are cast by a director who sees something in you that the current director did not and now you become somewhat of a name.  No one wants to burn bridges by telling an actor they suck.  Also, as referenced to the time constraints, you do not want to introduce personal drama, nothing can slow a casting down faster than that.

Nov 16 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I am a director of plays from time to time. I tend to be pretty honest, but as far as feedback goes, timing is everything.

If you ask at auditions, you won't get anything negative. Director probably hasn't decided if he needs you yet, and doesn't want to risk accidently pissing you off witht he truth. Ask a couple weeks after the auditions weather you are cast or not. You'll have better odds of getting an honest responce.

Nov 16 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Honestly, I go to auditions for fun. It kills the fun for me if I think the director is faking it. I understand and don't care whether I get picked or not, I know that sometimes they need something specific.

Nov 16 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I think it is just being polite. While you might not be right for this role, you may be perfect for somthing else. if I tell you you should give up and go home because you will never make it i am risking getting into an argument and i have neither the time or inclination to do so. Especially if you are bigger than me or possibly armed

Nov 16 06 10:23 pm Link