Forums > General Industry > Photographers Getting Photographed

Photographer

gklosswa

Seattle, Washington, US

Wonder how photographers around here feel about being on the other side of the lens.

I was having lunch today in one of my favorite sandwich shops when a female photographer approached me. She's doing a story for one the local papers about spots to go during the holidays. She noticed me sketching and asked it if she could photograph me. I've long since gotten over any sort of shyness about this sort of thing so I agreed. Hey, it's not my fault if she gets terrible pictures. I told her maybe she could photoshop out my chin a bit.

The funny thing is I just had a shoot on Monday and watching someone else photographing me out of the corner of my eye doing all the same things I do was amusing.

Anyone else have experiences like this recently?

Nov 15 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

i rarely like photos of me, though one model recently got one that i can live with.  dang, where is it?  haha....oh well....i much prefer being on the other side of the lens.  i have a face for radio!

Nov 15 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Hate it...never did like it...I let a street artist draw me in San Diego which was a huge leap for me...

Nov 15 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

I am cool with it, I started out on the other side

Nov 15 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

my favourite model is a better photographer than i am.  i'm a better model though.  JAY KAY.

https://myspace-919.vo.llnwd.net/00872/91/91/872251919_l.gif

Nov 15 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

LuckyShots Photography

Grafton, Illinois, US

I absolutely hate to have my picture taken in any situation, when I was a kid my folks pushed me into modeling, not my thing I couldn't stand it but it's how I got interested in photography so I guess there is a silver lining to everything.  I posted a photo of myself on my page to show off my new logo, its rare to see me in a picture especially one where I'm looking into the camera (sober) so check it out.

On a side note I think it is important for a photographer to sit down and have a professional portrait taken at least once.  Having gone through it you will have a better idea what people are feeling in front of your lens and you can make them more comfortable.

Nov 15 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

https://stevemelvin.com/korea/slides/Korea_0063.JPG

https://stevemelvin.com/korea/slides/Korea_0538.JPG

https://stevemelvin.com/korea/slides/Korea_0539.JPG

Nov 15 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Taipei?

Nov 15 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I think it would be a great idea - the average photographer would learn a lot on the other side of the lens - just as a medical doctor does when he becomes a patient -

Nov 15 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Stephen Melvin wrote:

CLT wrote:
Taipei?

Seoul.

Nov 15 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Glenn Worton wrote:
I think it would be a great idea - the average photographer would learn a lot on the other side of the lens - just as a medical doctor does when he becomes a patient -

Agree... and I did it too!
(actually I was a character model... dressed as a pirate and greeted cruise ship passengers in Grenada)  I had alot of fun and learned alot from that experience.

Nov 15 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Actually, I modeled a lot before turning to photography.  I still model off and on and have found a few agencies who would like to sign me despite my height.

For me being on either side of the lense is pretty much the same, LOL it's just playing with a camera to me. smile

Nov 15 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I like being photographed.  A lot of have a sense of "feigned embarassment", I think, acting like we don't like having our pics taken.  Get over it!  I have had 2 of my models shoot pictures of me, several.  Don't mind one bit!

Nov 15 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I'm frankly camera-shy. ;-)

I have, however, had models insist on styling me up.

Nov 15 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I normally don't get photographed (most people don't want to see a photo of me) but there's this one photographer (a friend of mine) who, if we're working together on a shoot, will sneak a photo or two of my rear end and then email the photos to my wife...

Once he did this while the shoot was still going on in his basement studio, and they were IMing about the photo while I kept on shooting... 

Oy.  wink

Nov 15 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I don't mind being photographed myself, and I actually was featured in a magazine article some years back where I was both model and photographer.

Nov 15 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

if i were cute i'd be a model

Nov 15 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i posed nude once lol smile

Nov 15 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

After a walk up the cliff at Black's Beack (post shoot) nearly gave me a coronary.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/WyndMulysa/stan758.jpg

Nov 15 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

gklosswa wrote:
Wonder how photographers around here feel about being on the other side of the lens.

I was having lunch today in one of my favorite sandwich shops when a female photographer approached me. She's doing a story for one the local papers about spots to go during the holidays. She noticed me sketching and asked it if she could photograph me. I've long since gotten over any sort of shyness about this sort of thing so I agreed. Hey, it's not my fault if she gets terrible pictures. I told her maybe she could photoshop out my chin a bit.

The funny thing is I just had a shoot on Monday and watching someone else photographing me out of the corner of my eye doing all the same things I do was amusing.

Anyone else have experiences like this recently?

I hate being photographed. I get a lot of requests to be photographed. It wasn't 'til this last weekend when I went to a group shoot that it annoyed me. Before, I'd just politely decline or say, "I dunno'... Maybe one of these days, if I decide to put down my camera and hop onto the other side.." But when they get so persistant and don't stop bugging me and then when I say no for the 20th time and they start giving me attitude and make snide remarks toward me for not letting them photograph me, that's when I got completely annoyed and got bitchy about it. So, I'm pretty sure after Sunday there's a few local photographers who think I'm a total bitch now. Oh well... maybe/hopefully they'll quit bugging me now. And I purposely went to this group shoot looking like shit so no photographers would bug me. Lol...

I guess, I should be complimented... But, I'm a photographer, not a model, damn it!!!

Nov 15 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
Seoul.

I was at that gate a couple months back.

---------

About being photographed.  I don't like it but if there's a photographer around it seems he has to give it a try anyway.  I do like the two Stan Schutze did of me at the studio, and allowed one to be used in a Hong Kong PHOTO feature.

Which reminds me...I owe Stan a tear sheet.

-Don

Nov 15 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Once I get my shirt apparently I have to be in photos yikes  I just hope he didnt send me a tank top

Nov 15 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I HATE taking pictures of myself.

Nov 15 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I don't mind being in front of the lens.  I've done some nude figure modeling for my friends that were finishing up their college ports.
I used myself as subject for quite a while before I started working with models.  I figured I should know what its like being in front of the lens.

Nov 15 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

The only person allowed to photograph me is me...and occasionally my mother when she begs.  I have a complex about it that borders on a phobia.  ( and the deer-in-the-headlights-with-teeth-bared-smile-and-direct-flash look is not a good look for me.)

However I do "self portraits" to test styling ideas all the time and have no problem posting them publicly to get feedback.  Did one just last night in fact.  Go figure...

Nov 15 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

Give back!
Give back you silly people!

We as photographers are so often given gifts from our subjects.  They open up and -insert cliche' here-  Our being is based off of the capture of souls.  Show yours, be naked to the world for 1/60 of a second.

You and I have the benefit of knowing what we are looking into...  Its a beautiful interphase.  Look straight at that cmos and see if you can catch the miror flop.  You know you are actually pouring light as if it were liquid unto a digital or chemical eye.

Or just smile and give a thumbs up... its only a freakin camera.

Nov 15 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

i take self pics on occasion but i hate being photographed by other people.  most likely cuz i usually look like crap when they do lol

Nov 15 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

David Scott wrote:
i take self pics on occasion but i hate being photographed by other people.  most likely cuz i usually look like crap when they do lol

That's my reason too.  I've been photographed by family members (always awful) and 4 pros and semi-pros.  After looking atrocious in every shot, I decided to just stay away from that side of the lens.

Nov 15 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

David Scott wrote:

Even when it's me, Bro? That one of you shooting Bobbiette turned out nice.

smile

Nov 15 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Arr, people photograph me all the time, when I'm doing events.... and when I'm doing the musical thing, on tour.

Doesn't bother me much. But I'm not much for actually standing there modeling, either. Take the shot NOW.

Nov 15 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I'm actually photo phobic.   It's from early on.  My childhood pics either have my hand up toward the camera to block it or I'm scowling.

Nov 15 06 10:56 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Here is another great MODEL:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1025752

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060722/02/44c1d37b0eb26.jpg

and great PHOTOGRAPHER (here is one of his work):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1540899

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061021/22/453ae291d0af4.jpg

Nov 15 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
About being photographed.  I don't like it but if there's a photographer around it seems he has to give it a try anyway.  I do like the two Stan Schutze did of me at the studio, and allowed one to be used in a Hong Kong PHOTO feature.

-Don

You have a lot of character Don. Why not share more of you with your fans? It makes sense to me. Gives people an identity to hang on to.

If Stan can shoot you, I should be able to do it too. Let me have a shot at it.

Click

Nov 15 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I was at that gate a couple months back.

---------

-Don

those are really great shots
i love them
yes, put them on ya port!

Nov 16 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Anjel Britt wrote:

those are really great shots
i love them
yes, put them on ya port!

Not on my port.  I didn't make those pictures.

OK, maybe I'll put them in my modeling port.

-Don

Nov 16 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Sedivec-Ealy

Iowa City, Iowa, US

Several have asked and still do and few have succeeded...I am just much more comfortable taking the photos and creating...I have a passion for it and I love it...

I do not mind the snap shots and quick photos but to model...No I will take your photo any day over that....LOL

Nov 16 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There are only three photographers on earth that I would trust to photograph me...And I'm one of the three.  At least the other two are actually alive.

Nov 16 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Being a former model, I guess I don't mind it.

Nov 16 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

deleted_02841

San Antonio, Florida, US

Hey, I am ready to go if any of you models want to shoot me.

Nov 16 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I can't imaging any reason wht anyone should wish to use me as a model - [weathered old man character study perhaps]. But yeah let the offer come in.  I know they won't!!!!

Nov 16 06 09:01 am Link