Forums > General Industry > Point and shoot photos better than nothing?

Model

Tania Lin

Tampa, Florida, US

Ok so obviously I am new to this so I uploaded just regular photos of me as I work on setting up shoots with photogs. Is this going to hurt me or help me?

Nov 15 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

better than cell phone pictures

Nov 15 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Sure, everyday point & shoot shots are better than nothing. And I agree it is better than crappy cell phone pics or low grade web cam pics.

Just be aware that even good point&shoot snapshots will automatically label you as an amateur or newbie. So don't expect call ups from Calvin Klein based on these photos. As long as your expectations are realistic, your pics are an acceptable starting point.

Nov 15 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Agencies like polaroids...try taking some of those and putting them up for now.

Nov 15 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Damn it will you just fly to NY already and shoot with me.

Nov 15 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Assuming someone has photographic skills, how would anyone know for sure if an image was taken with a P&S? The term "snapshot" implies lack of compositional and lighting control more than the camera quality.

If the image has a distinct blurred DOF that is indication that it wasn't taken with one, but if everything is sharp, how would one know?

Nov 15 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Taneia wrote:
Ok so obviously I am new to this so I uploaded just regular photos of me as I work on setting up shoots with photogs. Is this going to hurt me or help me?

Good enough for now and to land you some TFPs.

Nov 15 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

i was recently on a 100,000 dollar shoot where the photog used a 35mm range finder, which at first glance looks like a plain old point and shoot...

Nov 15 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

A pencil and a cocktail napkin is better than nothing

Uploading a portfolio with a nice intro and contact information is infinitely better than not having one.

Do as much as you can, then upgrade to something better as soon as you have better material.

This whole process begins when people know you exist.

Nov 15 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Taneia wrote:

We could rectify that problem very easily...especially since you're in Tampa as well. No flights required smile

Nov 15 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Michael Anthony wrote:
i was recently on a 100,000 dollar shoot where the photog used a 35mm range finder, which at first glance looks like a plain old point and shoot...

Minus the several thousand dollar difference in cost smile

Nov 15 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

rp_photo wrote:
Assuming someone has photographic skills, how would anyone know for sure if an image was taken with a P&S? The term "snapshot" implies lack of compositional and lighting control more than the camera quality.

If the image has a distinct blurred DOF that is indication that it wasn't taken with one, but if everything is sharp, how would one know?

If someone was REALLY geeky they'd look at the EXIF tag information and could find out since it lists make, model and other settings (ISO, Focus Mode, etc). Even though that's relatively easy to do with some photo viewers/editing programs, looking at this data to "expose" the fact that someone used a 'point and shoot' in my mind would be a bit strange and trivial. Alot of my early stuff was done with a Nikon 8800 before I decided to actually upgrade and experiment.

In the end its more "how" you use it than "what" you use I suppose.....

Nov 15 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Minus the several thousand dollar difference in cost smile

fo real, huh?  makes me feel like i overpaid to shoot with a 5D... haha...

Nov 15 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Michael Anthony wrote:

the 5D is a bargain at any cost in my book.

Nov 15 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

the 5D is a bargain at any cost in my book.

true, i really do enjoy mine at work...

Nov 15 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

The shots you have are enough to motivate me to contact you if I lived in your area.
The key is to start taking them down and replacing with better ones and just keep repeating the process.
Good luck!

Nov 15 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Michael Anthony wrote:

Looking at my 20D. Was just looking at a 5D a few days ago. Voices inside my head.....**camera envy****camera envy**

My first and LAST stream of consciousness post. :-)

Nov 15 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Are they GOOD point-and-shoot pictures?

BTW, in some of the more exaulted ends of this business, it all begins with a few polaroids. In other words, snapshots. NOT what you mostly see with most of the "better, professional" photographers around these parts.

Nov 15 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

You clean up really nice.. smile  Looking forward to seeing what you can bring to the party..

Nov 15 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Taneia wrote:

Don't just put up pictures to have pictures.

It's not about quantity.  Say you have a snapshot that shows your flawless skin and pearly whites, even if it isn't professional quality, that works in lieu of a professionally done headshot.  In that way, they can help you. 

This isn't an agency; this is MM.  You'll get offers from photographers merely because you have photos period and are allegedly breathing.  Plus, you're just starting out and it's allowable to have snapshots at this point.  A few shoots down the line, they should be filtered out.

On the other hand, snapshots that don't add anything to your collection of images  -aside from being one more photoare going to hurt you.

Nov 15 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

The trick to self promotion and provoking people to action is not to show off the work of other photographers as much as it is to build the desire in the viewer to visualize what HE can do with you himself.

This is often different than polished slick photos that show off photo or edit technique.

The models we want most, are those who will be fun, reliable, expressive, professional, predictable, real, friendly, trouble free ... and someone who will make them look good as the person who took your photos.

Help the viewer visualize you as their next photo shoot.

Self portraits with a point and shoot camera can convey this strongly.

Lots of guys are motivated by women who take and display self portraits ... it's almost fetish-like. Show that you like to experiment with artistic ideas, even if they are mainly ideas more than finished photos themselves. Make photos that suggest what they can also do with you.

Strong message in simple technology photos may draw people out who want to help you get something better.

Study advertising. Surf links for this. Write to me if you want a list of kick-ass advertising resources by link.

Figure out what might provoke good photographers to respond to you, then focus on that more than a polished edit.

Photographers want to find character & expression. They want variety. They want an array of resources to mold into something.

Offer yourself like a tempting canvas, easel and box of art supplies to play with.

Show yourself as a person capable of smiling and laughing and crying and .... well, just go through the list of emoticons. Make funny faces.

"Slick" will often not sell as well as Honest.

Be yourself.

Have fun.

Life is whatever we want it to be.

Nov 15 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

SonoraImages

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The "point and shoot" cameras that are out there can put out fantastic images....5-6 megapixels is pretty standard now.  As long as the photo itself is good, the source shouldn't matter....as long as it isn't from a phone (UGH!)!!!

Nov 15 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Ferguson

Nassau, Minnesota, US

I use a regular point and shoot camera because i cant afford a DSLR as yet. I use a Konica Minolta DiMage Z5 but i guess the potential of the photographer also helps with the outcome of the images.

Nov 15 06 03:43 pm Link

Model

Tania Lin

Tampa, Florida, US

All of this information is so helpful. It gets me so excited to just go out there and make it happen. I am filtering through the offers from photogs and trying to filter out perverts from professionals. hahaha. My biggest thing is to do everything right and become what I am determined to become..I am honest and animated. Hopeful and determined...that should be a good start!!

Nov 15 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

no need to filter through mine, I can tell you I am a perv.

Nov 15 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I want to be just like Click Hamilton when I grow up.  That was awesome...

Nov 15 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Tania Lin

Tampa, Florida, US

Frog516 wrote:
no need to filter through mine, I can tell you I am a perv.

hahahahahahha

Nov 15 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

lotusphoto wrote:
better than cell phone pictures

At the last Photo Expo in NYC, I visited the booth for the International Center of Photography, who also has an expensive school attached to it.

They offer now a course on how to take better pictures with camera phones... I kid you not!

Nov 15 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Point and Shoot + understanding of Natural light= Damn nice pictures.

Nov 15 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

I use a Point and Shoot....a 3 year old Fuji Finepix.....it has its limitations but in a way I really enjoy it because of that....

I've never had a model even question me when I show them what I use because they always tell me its not what kind of camera you use, its the images you create and they work with me because they really like the photos I take....

As a photographer I don't look at the quality of a model's photographs, I look for qualities I find attractive in the model....and hope that maybe its me that will be able to help her create the images she wants the world to see....

Nov 15 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

rp_photo wrote:

Exactly!! Some of my best people shots outside the studio or set-up shoots are with a point and shoot!  I find it distracting to carry my SLR at Renn Faires and things like that - besides it's easier to sneak up get great candids with a small camera ( I always talk to the people after I get the shot and rarely get objections to having taken it in the first place...)

S

Nov 15 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Jay Bowman wrote:
I want to be just like Click Hamilton when I grow up.  That was awesome...

Awww, shucks Jay

You just won yourself an ice cold Becks Beer

The Legendary Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Nov 15 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

I like point and shoot pictures.

I only had my film camera with b&w with me aside from a little fuji finepix and in b&w this just wouldn't have worked. I am not saying its a great shot, but its better than no shot, which would have been the alternative.

https://www.sfdigitalphotography.com/Cindil/mediafiles/l1.jpg

Nov 15 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I'll just repost my advice to previous people about this kind of topic.

If you have a camera to snap pictures of your friends or your night out....then use it to your advantage.

1) hand off the digi cam to anyone willing to click the button
2) wear plain, figure revealing clothes or bathing suit, no makeup, hair away from face
3) stand infront of plain wall in a room with good or natural lighting
4) get a close up of your face, a profile of your face and do the same with a full body shot
5) upload new pics and get rid of pics that are from a night out or are just fun 'photo album pics'
6) find photographers and get your butt moving!!

those kind of shots ('polaroids') will help you until you work with photographers and have enough pics for your port.

Nov 15 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Dolores Deramber

Cartersville, Georgia, US

Thats all I have for now too. I was wondering if this is going to hurt us/me as well? I think the photos I have show my potential. Better than nothing huh? what do you think?
                                                                                      *Peace*
                                                 The One The Only-Dolores

Nov 15 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Taneia wrote:

You are really asking the wrong question.  There is nothing wrong with a point & shoot.  Outside of range of DOF and sharpness, you can take just a good of an image as with a Canon Mark II.  What you should be asking is whether or not a snapshot will hurt or hinder you.  The answer to that is, not if it shows your potential.

Nov 15 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Again it's not the camera but what you know how to do with it that counts.  A point and shoot camera in the hands of someone with no knowledge of lighting. composition. and no vision will produce snapshots.  A point and shoot in the hands of a knowledgable person that can make an envisioned image come to fruition will yield some times very professional results.

Shot with a Fuji point and shoot.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060816/10/44e334f381b11.jpg

Nov 15 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Ransom J wrote:
Again it's not the camera but what you know how to do with it that counts.  A point and shoot camera in the hands of someone with no knowledge of lighting. composition. and no vision will produce snapshots.  A point and shoot in the hands of a knowledgable person that can make an envisioned image come to fruition will yield some times very professional results.

Shot with a Fuji point and shoot.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060816/10/44e334f381b11.jpg

Whoa....that's a helluva point and shoot.

This has been stated before but I'm thinking from a model's perspective you want to show diversity or emotions, poses and setting. Experiment....the photos will serve as a springboard to spark a potential photographer's ideas and provoke inquiries.

Nov 15 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

UdoR wrote:

At the last Photo Expo in NYC, I visited the booth for the International Center of Photography, who also has an expensive school attached to it.

They offer now a course on how to take better pictures with camera phones... I kid you not!

Oof. That's bad.

I've disabled the camera in my phone. Can't go there....

Nov 15 06 06:07 pm Link