Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Does anybody using LUTs in their post?

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Feb 22 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Feb 27 15 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 02 15 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Am I reading this correctly that this is the LUT process you're talking about?
New in Phase One's Capture One Pro 8.2
3 Way Color Balance

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Soft … e-One.aspx

Apr 02 15 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 02 15 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Capture One Pro 8.2 has a new feature for color grading called the 3-way-color-balance-tool.
I provided a link to the feature on Phase One's website.
My question was if this feature implements the LUT based color modification that this thread is talking about.

Apr 02 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 02 15 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

This (3DLUTCreator) is an impressive piece of software. If its only functionality was the sophisticated color/luminance/saturation/etc based masking it would be very impressive.

Apr 02 15 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 02 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Tulack wrote:
? It was there long time ago.

Ah, ok... ?

Apr 02 15 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 02 15 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Yes, that's what I was reading and what I was so impressed by. I wasn't expecting the masking, which is a really nice surprise. I was initially mostly interested in it for color grading (which of course the masking is a really integral part of what makes the grading so powerful).
But, I wasn't expecting the fact that I could use the masking feature for just masking and then sending the masks to photoshop for other uses.

Apr 02 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I really love the new masking features of 3DLUT. 

I have played with the masking facility already... and I find that it seems to be superb for even single hair strand extractions and mask creation without a lot of extra matting and halos.  I've gotten some very nice precise masking results with it thus far.   But, I understood only about 60% of what I was doing to get myself there!  There was a lot of blind experimenting with it just yet... with lots of random button tweeking... rather than knowing what I was truly doing and why.  This LUT stuff is a brand new technology approach for a lot of us. 

I would love to see some new additional English videos sometime in the future... more on masking again... and how to best utilize the curves, levels, histogram and grid interfaces in projects.

I understand that things are new just yet... and everybody in the development effort is probably peddling as fast as they can!!   With new products...documentation is often a bit behind actual product development obviously.  If anyone could work with you or help out with producing additional English versions or translations of the training...that would be awesome!!!

Apr 03 15 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 03 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Hi Tulack,

Ive purchased the program.  I love it...and I see so much potential for it going forward. 

The program is very comprehensive and powerful even at this pre 1.0 version.

Thanks to Oleg!  Brilliant Coding!  And Thank You Tulack for all the help you provide here!!!  It is much appreciated!!!!

Apr 03 15 09:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Impressive tool!

Slightly off-topic, but still LUT-related:
Does anyone know of a tool (standalone, or photoshop-plugin) that creates adjustment layers from LUTs? I know Photoshop CC does AdjustmentLayer-to-LUT conversions, but not the other way round...

Or is this maybe even possible with the 3d-LUT-creator? Don't mind doing it "by hand", i.e. I'd need to see curves and saturation.

The reason why I'm asking is:
I've got some movie-LUTs from which I'd like to create Lightroom Presets and/or Photoshop Layers, in order to fine-tune the results (via Layer opacity, for example).

Apr 27 15 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ikiri wrote:
Impressive tool!

Slightly off-topic, but still LUT-related:
Does anyone know of a tool (standalone, or photoshop-plugin) that creates adjustment layers from LUTs? I know Photoshop CC does AdjustmentLayer-to-LUT conversions, but not the other way round...

I don't think it's even possible, to be honest.

Apr 27 15 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Apr 27 15 11:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi Tulack,

Sorry – I should have been a bit more precise.

What I mean is:
I'd like to take one LUT and break it up (split it / reverse-engineer) into, let's say, 2-3 different adjustment layers:
- Curves Adjustment Layer (for RGB / Contrast / Brightness
- Hue Adjustment Layer
- Desaturation Adjustment Layer

A lot of trial & error if done manually, so I thought maybe there's a tool out there to do this.

I know the results may not be 100% the same as a LUT, but an approximation would be better than nothing.

Apr 28 15 05:50 am Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I hate to repeat myself, but:

cwwmbm wrote:

I don't think it's even possible, to be honest.

Apr 28 15 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

May 08 15 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

May 11 15 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

May 21 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Tulack wrote:
Color correction in game production with 3D LUT Creator & Unity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJXtyseARo

And checkers are coming.

Exciting stuff.

Naive question as I've not used the demo but am really curious about where this goes with the checkers, given the possibilities it opens up: can one reverse the color changes collected from a calibration target reading?  That is, can I shoot in a sunset which I particularly love, capture that 'reverse correction', and then apply it to any normalized image which I shoot thereafter?

May 25 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

May 26 15 11:26 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Tulack wrote:
I think you can do it even without this new coming feature. Check "color grading" video on first page. You can take a picture of a checker at sunset, degrade it, invert curves.

Yum - So I could shoot anything in any light and then apply the toning to something else? Seems difficult on the surface, to just apply the portion that you wanted.

May 26 15 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

May 26 15 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Tulack wrote:
I think you can do it even without this new coming feature. Check "color grading" video on first page. You can take a picture of a checker at sunset, degrade it, invert curves.

Wonderful.

I'd much prefer the checker-specific corrections to start from as I would expect there'll be a greater deal of precision in the result (hopefully?), but the fact that these will be able to be done at all is the most important thing.  w00t

May 27 15 01:15 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

I have 3DLUT V1.0. 

When I make corrections on a sunset...or on a models skin...or in applying makeup for example... Chances Are Good... that I will encounter that  "same kind of correction factor" again sometime in the future in a different image.  So I save... and thoughtfully name... each LUT... and include it in the presets for future use. 

Yes, the reddening of the sky, or the slight yellow cast and desaturation of the skin, or the lipstick or eye shadow color is not going to be totally perfect the next time...  B U T ... I can still add masks to control the exact placement and intensity of the LUTs effect,  I still have the opacity slider to be able to adjust how strong each LUT will be on each layer, and I still have clipping layers that can modify the LUT to be different from what it was originally.

May 27 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jun 02 15 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jun 10 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

AnthonySimpson

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

LUTS are so handy, I tend to use Foggy as a layer then change the layer to luminosity. Play with the opacity a little bit

Jun 25 15 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jul 14 15 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Is the trial time-limited or simply functionality-limited per the matrix on the website?

Jul 15 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jul 15 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Tulack wrote:

Of the program? There is no trial. PS integration turned off, so as saving.

Semantics - you call it a demo, many software companies call it a trial. Is it time limited?

Jul 15 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jul 15 15 11:45 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

I hear it only cost $80 for Russian and $250 for the rest of the world.  Is that true?

Jul 15 15 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jul 15 15 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Jul 17 15 03:39 pm Link