Forums > General Industry > shadowing photographers

Photographer

IrishOne

Dallas, Texas, US

do photographers do under study type deals ? i would like to shadow a local photographer . i haven't been doing this long and thaught this would be an excellent way to learn more . any ideas ?? or do i just suck ?

Nov 14 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Cole

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Try Finding a Mentor Or Someone Who gives Workshops

Nov 14 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

IrishOne

Dallas, Texas, US

the man who helped me tons starting out is in L.A.

Nov 14 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Workshops seem to be the best bet.  Most photographers don't want you learning their trade unless they are getting compensated.

Nov 14 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

Finding a mentor would be a great idea.  I wish there were someone around this area to learn from!!
BUT, trying to find a professional who will be willing to let you in on all his/her little secrets might be a hard find!!  Everyone here is so protective of their technique(s) and critical of others. 
Most will have the attitude of, "Nobody helped me.  Screw you.  Go learn for yourself."

Just my opinin though.  It' be nice if I were wrong.....

Nov 14 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Its called assisting.  You haul gear, and get treated like shit. 
If your lucky, you will learn something.

You are forced to learn just so you can get the hell out of there.

edit-not all assisting gigs are bad, there are some great photogs that actually want you to learn and will help you.  Some might even let you use there gear and space late at night (back in the day, use of the processor too).  Sometimes I miss assisting.  Not really.

Nov 14 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Cole

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

michael vines wrote:
the man who helped me tons starting out is in L.A.

Im not quite sure where Desoto Tx. is....But you have alot of good photographers right there in Tx. that are on MM

Nov 14 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

michael vines wrote:
do photographers do under study type deals ? i would like to shadow a local photographer

to "shadow" the photographer sounds kinda like just hang out & watch him/her work; probably won't get that kind of freebie from anyone worth their salt ...

... but yeah, maybe becoming an assistant (i.e., means you'll be working) would provide an alternative for what you're seeking.

g'luck!

F

Nov 14 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

IrishOne

Dallas, Texas, US

well , this sounds almost depressing lol . i like my work but i guess we all do huh . my mother was a medical photographer so she tried to help me get started .

Nov 14 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

michael vines wrote:
do photographers do under study type deals ?

This is based wholly on my personal experience and shouldn't be taken as law.

There are those who would refer to this as an assistant.

It depends on what you know and who you know.  I started out as an assistant before I even had my own camera.  But I was referred to the (actually very, very good) husband and wife team and they took me under their wing because they liked my attitude and direction.  Lots of photographers expect you to have 3 years of assisting alone under your belt before they take you on (though, this depends.  They may look at your work and ask how long you've been shooting and make a judgement on that).

However...

It's not like they sit you down and simply tell you all the tricks and secrets (though they were very open to sit down with me and talk and answer questions when I asked and they had the time); you have to work.  Among other things you may have to scout location with or for them; go with them to get rental equipment; carry it all yourself mostly and make sure it doesn't get damaged; set up lighting, props and backgrounds; help run lighting tests; load camera backs; catalog each roll; make lighting adjustments (sometimes it's expected that you do this without prompting depending on how long you've been doing it or working with them); break down the entire set and lights; go to drop off rental equipment; go to drop off/pickup processed film and scans...

...all done without needless schmoozing with any clients, models, stylists, Art Directors, or PR people who are on set as well.  And sometimes even without a break, despite the fact that everyone else is taking one.

Those are just a few of the things I did.  Some do less.  Some do far, far more than that.  Some do all that plus coffee/donuts/order pizza/sweep/mop kinda work as well.  Depends on the photographer. 

Generally, good assistants can be paid fairly well.  Interns can be paid in as little as a few shutdafukups.

Nov 14 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
Its called assisting.  You haul gear, and get treated like shit. 
If your lucky, you will learn something.

You are forced to learn just so you can get the hell out of there.

edit-not all assisting gigs are bad, there are some great photogs that actually want you to learn and will help you.  Some might even let you use there gear and space late at night (back in the day, use of the processor too).  Sometimes I miss assisting.  Not really.

Yep. And it's a system that has been in place for quite some time.

Nov 14 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

IrishOne

Dallas, Texas, US

well it looks like i get to tell my wife we are selling the house and moving to new york . lol  ie. divorce hehe

Nov 14 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I love assisting.

There are dozens (hundreds?) of freelance photo assistants here in south Florida, but I don't feel compelled to compete with them for bad gigs - even if I could use the money. I'd rather cultivate working relationships with a few nice, talented photographers than chase after every assisting "opportunity."

I've certainly learned a lot while working as an assistant, but the most important lessons have had little to do with technique or equipment.

Nov 14 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Saint John wrote:
I've certainly learned a lot while working as an assistant, but the most important lessons have had little to do with technique or equipment.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Nov 14 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

This is based wholly on my personal experience and shouldn't be taken as law.

There are those who would refer to this as an assistant.

It depends on what you know and who you know.  I started out as an assistant before I even had my own camera.  But I was referred to the (actually very, very good) husband and wife team and they took me under their wing because they liked my attitude and direction.  Lots of photographers expect you to have 3 years of assisting alone under your belt before they take you on (though, this depends.  They may look at your work and ask how long you've been shooting and make a judgement on that).

However...

It's not like they sit you down and simply tell you all the tricks and secrets (though they were very open to sit down with me and talk and answer questions when I asked and they had the time); you have to work.  Among other things you may have to scout location with or for them; go with them to get rental equipment; carry it all yourself mostly and make sure it doesn't get damaged; set up lighting, props and backgrounds; help run lighting tests; load camera backs; catalog each roll; make lighting adjustments (sometimes it's expected that you do this without prompting depending on how long you've been doing it or working with them); break down the entire set and lights; go to drop off rental equipment; go to drop off/pickup processed film and scans...

...all done without needless schmoozing with any clients, models, stylists, Art Directors, or PR people who are on set as well.  And sometimes even without a break, despite the fact that everyone else is taking one.

Those are just a few of the things I did.  Some do less.  Some do far, far more than that.  Some do all that plus coffee/donuts/order pizza/sweep/mop kinda work as well.  Depends on the photographer. 

Generally, good assistants can be paid fairly well.  Interns can be paid in as little as a few shutdafukups.

This is all so true. Well said!

Nov 14 06 09:35 pm Link