Forums > General Industry > Can you teach "sexy?"

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

C'mon, don't be hard on others smile Haven't you thought it might be just certain photography style wink ?

well I don't tell them that.I just say "hey work on your facial expressions"

Nov 14 06 11:10 am Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

Maya Lei wrote:

Very un-politically correct, but hilarious... I think I know what you're talking about, but haven't run across many examples!! lol... guess it doesn't help that I'm not perusing through model profiles smile

well I tried to be as politically correct as possible,but it's hard to describe the look without just telling it like it is.

Nov 14 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Yes I can. Any model want to try?

Nov 14 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

How do you teach something that is already there?
Everybody is sexy.
Its just a matter of eliminating the inhibitions.

https://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/entertainment/video/photographer.gif

Nov 14 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

Again, you missed my point. Read what I wrote above.

Trust me, I didn't miss it. I just couldn't resist. Sorry. :-)

Nov 14 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Nora_Neko wrote:

what I really meant is someone who is pretty already..because if someone is not physically attractive then they wouldn't ever be sexy in my opinion

Oh, being beautiful helps, but frankly there are people who are INCREDIBLY sexy who are not that beautiful, and there are many who are beautiful who are not terribly sexy. It's a state of mind, a state of being, and I think the only "teacher" is life itself.

There are photographers who can coax models into "looking" sexy semi-convincingly, but in the end, there's something about it that feels like an act.

It's exceedingly rare for a young fashion-age model to have "it." Generally the way nature works, youthful beauty and exhuberance and perfection comes first, and this is gradually lost and replaced with sexiness and maturity.

Nov 14 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Oh, being beautiful helps, but frankly there are people who are INCREDIBLY sexy who are not that beautiful, and there are many who are beautiful who are not terribly sexy. It's a state of mind, a state of being, and I think the only "teacher" is life itself.

There are photographers who can coax models into "looking" sexy semi-convincingly, but in the end, there's something about it that feels like an act.

It's exceedingly rare for a young fashion-age model to have "it." Generally the way nature works, youthful beauty and exhuberance and perfection comes first, and this is gradually lost and replaced with sexiness and maturity.

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!! great answer

Nov 14 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Brown

Portland, Oregon, US

There are many professional (in a business sense) development models and theories out there. Most of them give nod to the idea that some skills are more teachable than others. One of the most important skills/traits for leadership is, believe it or not, energy. This is widely considered one of the areas that can be least influenced in a person. But even this can be changed with better eating and exercise habits. Things like 'dependable' and 'organized' can be taught, and are easier that changing energy levels.

I don't believe sexy is either on or off. Nor do I believe that it can be taught or it can't. It's not that simple. I also don't believe in one definition of sexy because of the wide variety of uses of the word sexy. Sexy can mean so many things depending on the context. It can be physical, emotional, instinctual, and/or sometimes intellectual in nature.

Having come from another profession, one thing that I learned is that having 'it' is something that those that have been around for a while can see but can't necessarily define. It isn't usually definable. And no offence to the newbies (of which I am one) I am still just basically a tourist and probably haven't been around long enough to identify 'it' in the modeling and photography professions. Ask me about information security and I can tell you though.

They say most experts in any field take about 10 years to become experts. Please note: this doesn't mean that everyone, or even most, will be experts after 10 years. It just means that those that are took 10 years to get there. This could be why those in the 25-30 age range are "better at being sexy." The age of 15 is when sexy probably starts to become a consideration for girls. Those that didn't start to try to be sexy until 25 still have 10 more years to make an attempt at being 'sexy' experts.

Nov 14 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sexy isn't learned... it's a lifestyle!

Nov 14 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

Yes you can.  But its easier to teach sensuality in expression and sexy in poses.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Nov 14 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Couldn't be said better!

Nov 15 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

I can make anyone look sexy to someone.

Nov 15 06 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

yep- I tell them to give me a "man-eater" look. Usually they laugh and then get a little more serious in the eyes- most of the time it helps a lot... though there really are some women who just can't give a sexy look

Nov 15 06 04:13 am Link

Model

Madaline

Santa Monica, California, US

If you're sexy and you know it clap your hands!!

*clap clap*

Sexy is innate.. sexy is not acting. You have to feel it, and want to get into the camera and make love to it!

I think I can show my sexy side well, check out the pic on my profile page and let me know what you think!

xox Mmadaline

Nov 15 06 04:15 am Link

Model

Madaline

Santa Monica, California, US

lol silly typos.

"xoxoxo Madaline"

that's better.

;o)

Nov 15 06 04:15 am Link

Model

mia vaughn

Chicago, Illinois, US

FemmeArt wrote:
There seems to be an "it" factor that some models just have.  Others--and I'm sure we've all run into them--could not pull off "sexy" if their lives depended upon it. 

Has anyone else run into this?

i seem to get a lot of comments that i am sexy.....i also notice that their are models who do not pull it off when it seems as though their trying.  i think it is intrinsic.. but can probably be learned as well.   my 2 cents!

Nov 15 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Josie Tan Photography

Clackamas, Oregon, US

so how many yeses and no many nos? anyone tally up?

Nov 15 06 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Robert Rhea Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

FemmeArt wrote:
There seems to be an "it" factor that some models just have.  Others--and I'm sure we've all run into them--could not pull off "sexy" if their lives depended upon it. 

Has anyone else run into this?

Absolutely!  I have some models, like Rion (MM # 94691) who can effortlessly pull of any look I need from them from Sexy to Hysterically funny.  I have had other models though, who I have to work with endlessly on any expression.  It is not, unfortunately, just stand there and look pretty.

Nov 15 06 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Rena wrote:
Sexy can mean different things and can be interepreted in many ways. What one thinks is sexy may not be sexy to another.

One quiet voice stating the perfectly obvious. Shame so many miss this.

https://www.blackflute.com/images/th03050055crs.jpg

Nov 15 06 07:46 am Link