Forums > General Industry > Fetish/Pin-up...where to start.

Model

Miss Poppy

Vancouver, Washington, US

Hello!

This is my first post...ever. I have never even commented on anything in the forums though I have been reading them.
I notice a lot of girls want to get into high fashion, well, I don't think this is the place to look, honestly, agencies are! I wish I had stuck with it back when I was in my teens because it would have been fun, however I wanted too much to look weird and not listen to anyone.

I may be older for a model but I look quite a lot younger, and want to get into fetish and pin-up style modeling - which I know I can do being on here and working with random photographers...however, I want to know how to get into magazines that do this style. I'm not quite sure how, and I would really like to work with an agency though I am not quite sure...who would deal with models such as me. I am very very much a chameleon, and would like to do different things, though am not sure where to begin to try and take things further than just doing it for fun.

Advice would be wonderful. I live in the Vancouver area. Thanks.

Nov 13 06 02:08 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Look at who those photographers are who are getting published in those magazines and work with them.  I mean, if your goal is to get into certain fetish publications then marketing yourself to the photographers who are getting published in them is a great way to start.  Be prepared to invest money in travelling, high quality wardrobe, makeup artists, and even a paid shoot or two to get higher quality images (a good portfolio will attract better photographers).  Ultimately it takes alot of work to get to where you want to be, but it'll be worth it..you are cute and you do have potential.  Best of luck to you!

Nov 13 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

prophet sound

Lawrence, Indiana, US

scan profile images until you find people with alternative looking models.. then check out their friends lists.. comments.. etc..

that might be your best bet.

m.

Nov 13 06 09:45 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

however, I want to know how to get into magazines that do this style.

Just a warning-- magazines like Gothic Beauty, Marquis, etc almost NEVER pay for photos.  AFAIK, they think the exposure is payment enough.  I've heard of a few photographers getting paid for submissions from time to time, but that is very rare in this circle.

Even if your photographers let you send photos in yourself, it can sometimes take months (or even YEARS) for the magazine to use them, or even respond to the submission.

Your best bet is to shoot with one of the top alt. photographers who get regularly published and hope he/they use your photos.

That said, I know GOTH Magazine is looking for [free] content.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Nov 16 06 07:36 pm Link