Forums > General Industry > Important question regarding "Cheeeeeeze"

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

Cheese

So what word(s) is used in other languages when they want someone to smile?

Just wondering?

word/language/definition/pronunciation

thanks

P

Nov 12 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

nope, this aint about me.

In french, the word 'fromage' means cheese.
I don't think they'd use that word for taking pictures... unless it's the type of pictures used on those adult pay sites.

Nov 12 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

parkus photography wrote:
word/language/definition/pronunciation

Smile (I find it to be just as effective)
/
English
/
Smile -
–verb (used without object) 1. to assume a facial expression indicating pleasure, favor, or amusement, but sometimes derision or scorn, characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth.
2. to regard with favor: Luck smiled on us that night.
3. to have a pleasant or agreeable appearance or aspect, as natural scenes, objects, etc.: The landscape smiled in the sunlight.
/

I don't think I can use the Cyrillic alphabet here so I'll leave out the Ukrainian, Polish, and Russian way of saying it for now.

Nov 12 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A tip from an old pro, forget "cheese".  It's archaic, it's a silly cliche and has never worked. It never did anything other than produce a half assed fake smile. Instead, ask them to say "shit". You'll get a puzzled look, which can also be good, then a laugh, which an sometimes be good, then a 'real' smile.  Next time, just tell them, "OK, you know what to say"! Afterwards say you need that smile and the result is automatic. The real smile will follow.If it's a kid then be ready and tell them to say pizza, the smile will follow!

Nov 12 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

sushi

by the way, france has more different kinds of cows, but denmark has more different types of cheese, anyone know why?

Nov 12 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

I find that using the 'cheese' line with kids is a natural - they have all learned to go crazy for that one, and you and often get the shy ones to loosen up if you make them your helper and have them lead the shout. Of course, you don't get a real smile out of it - but it leads to game playing, and then you can slip in other words that will bring a smile - monkey is a favorite of mine. If you are doing a mixed group of kids and adults, like a wedding family group - the adults are often amused by the kids' efforts, and you get a smile form them too.

I also use pizza, usually for adults in studio. I suggest they say "Pizza!" - then I bust in with something like "but think about free pizza - that always makes me smile!" Usually works.

Nov 12 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

"Ok, now try not to laugh" always work for me...

Models are rebels.

Nov 12 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
"Ok, now try not to laugh" always work for me...

Models are rebels.

I heard that at a local elementary school, they told the hispanic kids to say "Queso" ya know, cheese like in a Mexican Restaurant... Obviously it didn't serve it's purpose. lol

Nov 14 06 12:14 am Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

The French phrase that is used in pace of "cheese" sounds remarkably like "with titties."  I lived there for several months and never got anyone to tell me what they were actually saying, so "with titties" will be forever engraved on my memory.

Nov 14 06 12:17 am Link