Forums > General Industry > When All Of a Model's Photos Are Touched-up

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I believe a model should ALWAYS represent him or herself any way they feel fit. This way, win, lose, or draw, they did it their way.

Nov 16 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

So when the model came to me with a face full of acne and decided not to do nudes even though I was paying her a nude rate, that was wrong?

Nov 16 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

Photoshop isn't the only way to change a models features. I've worked with a couple models now that the angles and lighting of the images make the model look different, then she actually is, or it's just impossible to figure out what the real features are from the images.

Nov 16 06 11:33 am Link

Model

LanaV

Los Angeles, California, US

I always include a few untouched photos in my ports.

Nov 16 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
When people sell a product, they go to great pains to make sure that they advertise only the best images of it. No product I've ever seen advertised on TV actually looked the same in person. I'm not saying models should post all photos of them photoshopped to within an inch of their lives, but if your best photos are ones that have been edited, then those are the ones that should be posted. If a photographer wants a snapshot they can ask for one.

I agree with this to a certain extent (I just don't agree with things not being the same in person).  If a model went into a professional agency with a professional book, shouldn't she have professional pictures?  I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with sending a photographer a raw image if they asked for one, granted the photographer who took the image was okay with it as well (as some photog's dont want you posting raw images).  I think it also depends on what is photoshopped.  Is it to make her look smaller?  Flatten her stomach, etc.?  I have an even complextion and don't suffer from acne, so it's fair to say that if you saw me in person you wouldn't see acne, either.  On the other hand a GWC-style photoshopped image is always embarrassing for both parties, the creator and the viewer, to look at.

Nov 16 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Concept Photo

New York, New York, US

model7299 wrote:

I agree with this to a certain extent (I just don't agree with things not being the same in person).  If a model went into a professional agency with a professional book, shouldn't she have professional pictures?  I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with sending a photographer a raw image if they asked for one, granted the photographer who took the image was okay with it as well (as some photog's dont want you posting raw images).  I think it also depends on what is photoshopped.  Is it to make her look smaller?  Flatten her stomach, etc.?  I have an even complextion and don't suffer from acne, so it's fair to say that if you saw me in person you wouldn't see acne, either.  On the other hand a GWC-style photoshopped image is always embarrassing for both parties, the creator and the viewer, to look at.

A professional photo is a photo taken and produced for professional purposes.  The history of photography describes photographers who use tons of state of the art equipment and photographers who use the simplest equipment; in both cases, they get the job done.

A photo that reveals what a model might look like does not have to be raw or unsophisticated. 

Again, the photos that prompted me to launch this thread could have been in "The Lord Of the Rings" or a science fiction movie.

Nov 16 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I agree with you 100%, but there are allot on here that do not, I think most of those are the guys who only do TFP shoots and like to tell models they need pro shots in their port.

Concept Photo wrote:
How is a photographer supposed to evaluate such a model's credentials if the posted photos do not indicate what a model really looks like?

Nov 16 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Concept Photo

New York, New York, US

Hope Parr wrote:
I agree with you 100%, but there are allot on here that do not, I think most of those are the guys who only do TFP shoots and like to tell models they need pro shots in their port.

This is an interesting observation.  Thank you for posting it.

I suppose that a photographer could do well for him/herself by contacting models whose photos (according to the viewpoint of such a photographer) may not address the current standards for booking assignments.

For some models, this presents a desirable opportunity.  A model who has only over-produced works might want something that is uncomplicated and done outdoors in natural daylight.  And vice versa.

It is not unusual to see photos of emerging models that may have been done by professional studio photographers who are situated in shopping malls.  After a while, they might want to give up the artificial brick wall background and have photographs done outdoors, in appealing outdoor and/or natural settings.

The shopping mall studio photographers are unlikely to accept commissions for doing such outdoor photos, but freelance photographers on and off MM are likely to be informing models of their services (i.e., photographing models at the beach, in the mountains, etc.)

It's not just a question of photographers hustling for assignments.  It's an opportunity for an emerging model to have photos produced that are consistent with the look they are seeking outside of the only model-photographer interface that she/he may be familiar with.

Nov 17 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

For a few years before I retired many of my clients would not consider models unless they supplied non-retouched images for consideration.

Nov 17 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Concept Photo wrote:
How is a photographer supposed to evaluate such a model's credentials if the posted photos do not indicate what a model really looks like?

Just my personal opinion, of course, but I think the biggest problem by far between models and photographers is lack of communication before the actual shoot even happens.  Having a portfolio full of doctored pictures does nothing but exacerbate the problem because it stands in the way of getting accurate useful information.

Nov 20 06 11:43 am Link