Forums > General Industry > Short rant on short rants

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the photoshop started kicking in. I remember saying something like "I feel like I'm overdoing cleaning up her zits, maybe you should take over.." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like photographers, all swooping and screeching and criticizing the image. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! Who are these goddamn animals?" My retoucher had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest to facilitate the inebriation process. "What the hell are you yelling about?" he muttered, staring at the monitor with his wraparound Spanish sunglasses. "Never mind", I said, "their opinions mean nothing to me!" I left him to his retouching. No point mentioning the photographers, I thought, the poor bastard will hear them soon enough.

after HST

Nov 11 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Perhaps I should have tried the Photography Talk forum.

Nov 11 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Friends don't let friends photoshop drunk.

Nov 11 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Friends don't let friends photoshop drunk.

I have no friends so it's not a problem.

Nov 11 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

I'm trying to remember the last time I read a forum posting, and was simply smiling by the end of it, enjoying the words and story conveyed. Maybe yours is the first one...wonderful distraction from the other ranting posts scattered all over the forums!

I'll think of this the next time I'm wandering the Mojave Desert, coming upon the oasis of Barstow stretching like a off-color mirage across the shimmering landscape.

Nov 11 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

I was about to ask how a guy from Louisville, Kentucky might write about an experience in Barstow, California. Then I read your bio. After reading of the tales in your resume, please accept my forgiveness instead.

wink RB, N Calif

Nov 11 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Richard Beebe wrote:
I was about to ask how a guy from Louisville, Kentucky might write about an experience in Barstow, California. Then I read your bio. After reading of the tales in your resume, please accept my forgiveness instead.

wink RB, N Calif

Also, Hunter S. Thompson (HST), is from Louisville.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Nov 11 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Batcountry?

Nov 11 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

The desert affects everyone a bit differently. Ever spend an afternoon at a truck stop in Barstow? You'd swear that the people getting out of their vehicles were zombies just released from being abducted.

Nov 11 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
Batcountry?

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. But the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we would be getting into that rotten stuff sooner or later..."

HST

Nov 11 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

best read i've had in days

Nov 11 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

oldguysrule wrote:
best read i've had in days

Thank you Sir.

Nov 11 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

MMDesign wrote:

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. But the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we would be getting into that rotten stuff sooner or later..."

HST

haven't had an afternoon like that since the spring of 72..

Nov 11 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

MMDesign wrote:

HST

President Harry S. Truman took mind-expanding drugs?  Like, wow!  "The joint stops here."

Nov 11 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

lotusphoto wrote:

haven't had an afternoon like that since the spring of 72..

Sounds like you need to get out more often. smile

Nov 11 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:

President Harry S. Truman took mind-expanding drugs?  Like, wow!  "The joint stops here."

They were called "bucks" back in those days.

Nov 11 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

That made my day. Thank you. That is all.

Nov 11 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

StarlaMeris wrote:
That made my day. Thank you. That is all.

You're quite welcome.

Nov 11 06 03:30 pm Link