Forums > General Industry > I think this is a Good Question.

Model

Able

Durham, North Carolina, US

I hear a lot about putting different looks in your port...try to diversify, but there seems to be an industry standard pose or look. It is the same look you see in the ports of of models signed to major agencies, the campaigns of major products, comp cards and runways. **Just to clarify it's the smoldering, no smile look.

So my question is: What is the better approach? Diversify your look and putting only a few smolder-ers in.

Or trying to nail the smolder-er in every shoot, and keep only those in your port...cause thats what agencies wanna see?

I think that's what I meant....what do you think???

Nov 10 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Able wrote:
I hear a lot about putting different looks in your port...try to diversify, but there seems to be an industry standard pose or look. It is the same look you see in the ports of of models signed to major agencies, the campaigns of major products, comp cards and runways. **Just to clarify it's the smoldering, no smile look.

So my question is: What is the better approach? Diversify your look and putting only a few smolder-ers in.

Or trying to nail the smolder-er in every shoot, and keep only those in your port...cause thats what agencies wanna see?

I think that's what I meant....what do you think???

Diversifying looks isn't just about the look on your face, it's about style of photography, styling in general, etc....

But in general, most modeling is selling an item\selling happiness. Look at the cover of magazines & most advertisements involve a smile. Smiles are good for portfolios.

Oh... and the smoldering look, is generally just the way their face looks. You shouldn't have to 'nail it' it should just be there. It's the photographers job to get the face in the right angle etc....

Work on showing emotion... far more important than nailing the stare.

Nov 10 06 03:43 pm Link

Model

Able

Durham, North Carolina, US

Iris Swope wrote:
Oh... and the smoldering look, is generally just the way their face looks. You shouldn't have to 'nail it' it should just be there. It's the photographers job to get the face in the right angle etc....

You gotta be a pretty intense person to have a general walk around look like that.

Nov 10 06 03:54 pm Link