Forums > General Industry > On Photographic styles and connecting..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I don't have enough background in photography to know if my observations are valid or not, so I figured I'd just throw the question out there..

How important is having the subject connect with the viewer to various styles of photography?

I'm not just talking about eye contact, although that plays a role, I suppose..

But whether candid or posed, some photographs are abstract in that you're looking at a person, object, or scene as an outsider and are not made privy to the thoughts and emotions going on in the scene (except what you can infer on your own)..  And other shots the emotional context of the image is central and merely viewing it draws you into the scene..

If I'm making any sense (and I may well not be - long night), does this distinction exist, and does it play into one style of photography more than another?

Nov 10 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

Subject matter is the main focus, but it is what surrounds it and the expression it gives that draws me to continue looking at it.

Let's take a nude figure as an example.  Because of human sexuality this is an immediate attraction.  But there is so many that after awhile only the most handsome/pretty will get a second or two glimse. Now let's put a pouty look on her (you can see I am biased here) face and you may keep the viewer a moment longer. Instead of a boring monotone background let's make the background the inside of an old pickup truck with the window behind her halfway down and the bra hanging over it. Just for kicks let place a pint of Jack Daniels on the dash.  Now the picture says something, and it's a keeper for my desktop.

I got the pickup.  I got the Jack Daniels.  Any ladies up to the shoot?

Nov 10 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I see it as similar to literature. You can have fiction, you can non-fiction, science fiction, first person narrative, third person narrative, first person shooter, plots, no plots, denouement, documentary, mockumentary ..blah de blah de blah

Nov 10 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I don't have enough background in photography to know if my observations are valid or not, so I figured I'd just throw the question out there..

How important is having the subject connect with the viewer to various styles of photography?

But whether candid or posed, some photographs are abstract in that you're looking at a person, object, or scene as an outsider and are not made privy to the thoughts and emotions going on in the scene (except what you can infer on your own)..  And other shots the emotional context of the image is central and merely viewing it draws you into the scene..

If I'm making any sense (and I may well not be - long night), does this distinction exist, and does it play into one style of photography more than another?

It's important to me, I guess, when it's important.  Tautology I know.

I've been thinking about this question a good deal very recently as I'm doing sketchs for various projects. 

Emotion can more easily be conveyed with facial expressions. That's our code to guaging what's going on with other people.  That's probably why the internet discussions can be so weird and sometimes strained is because we lack the 3-d cues that tell us what's really going on with what a person is thinking or meaning.

But I don't think it always takes a direct facial contact to attempt to convey emotion.  The pose the body takes, the context of the scene, the colors, shadows, dimensionality, can build in the same way layers of oil create an impasto.

I don't know if I'm making sense either, lol, pain meds make me loopy.

But the kind of photography I do, is very much about emotion, or trying to convey to the viewer a sense of emotion or sensation.  And as you can see from the small sampling in my portfolio, that the face is often not primary to composition.

Nov 10 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Storm Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I don't know about anybody else, but in very few of my images does the model directly connect to the viewer through eye contact, and if they do it is to form a relationship of trust. I prefer other means of communication such as body language to get my message across, sometimes enviornment is important for the context, but not always. I think it is the entire image that communicates the story. Sometimes I am a little too subtle with that, but I prefer my views to have to work for the understanding, that is why in every one of my pieces there is a contradiction or subtle influence that is often missed.

Did that help?

Nov 10 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I guess to be clear on this I'd have to define what a connection is.. But since I'm not sure, it's hard to define.. Moreso, because I'm not sure it's even a valid concept since different people connect with different things..

I guess, to me.. A picture I connect with is one I can look at and think, "This says something to me."  Usually when I think that it's on an emotional level, but that may well just be me.  When it doesn't, but it's still a good pic, I usually think, "This is pretty."

I'm not trying to convince anyone they should do one or the other.. I'm just curious with various styles of photography (art - or at least figure studies - fashion, glamour, commercial, etc..) how much does this play into that particular style..

Not looking for hard numbers.. Just some anecdotes..

Nov 10 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I guess to be clear on this I'd have to define what a connection is.. But since I'm not sure, it's hard to define.. Moreso, because I'm not sure it's even a valid concept since different people connect with different things..

I guess, to me.. A picture I connect with is one I can look at and think, "This says something to me."  Usually when I think that it's on an emotional level, but that may well just be me.  When it doesn't, but it's still a good pic, I usually think, "This is pretty."

I'm not trying to convince anyone they should do one or the other.. I'm just curious with various styles of photography (art - or at least figure studies - fashion, glamour, commercial, etc..) how much does this play into that particular style..

It seems to me that every style of photography should be able to connect to the viewer, why else do it?  The difference  is language.   Typically to connect in glamour you're using a different set of visual cues than you are in "fine art" photography versus commercial.  There are overlaps, work that doesn't always fit into a specific genre context, but the risk is always that the viewer might not be able to understand the cues because the context is now a landscape they're not familiar with.  And this is particularly true if with an audience that has literally no foundation in complex cultural/visual references. 

And then there is the issue of what people connect with.  There are certain universalities, emotions so strong that to not feel might put one into the category of sociopath, but on the other end, employing such overtly strong visuals risks one of stooping to base sentimentality or sensationalism.

Nov 10 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I think it's all about style. Some shooters portray their subjects as aloof and unattainable. Others present them as question marks. Others present them as engaged and communicative -- conscious of the viewer.

It's all good. Personally, no matter what kind of work I do, at some level, I'm a portraitist, and as such, I try hard to reflect the personality and the mental state of my subjects, rather than imprint the work strongly with my own personality.

I think you see this range in pretty much all styles and genres of photography.

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Nov 10 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

If there's no "connection" between the viewer and the image, the viewer will just move on.  Would you hang a photo/painting/sketch/etc. on your wall if it didn't generate a response in you?

What that connection is, varies between viewers (ie; some people get bondage photos, others don't).  But for the image to be "successful", there needs to be some connection with at least one viewer.

Nov 10 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i hate royalty, pisses me off, so anyone i shoot has to look into -or at least seem to be aware of-  the camera and not mimic the scum sucking interbreeding bastards that make up the worlds 'royal' families..

really really dont like pouters..

on the other hand, the ones that try to ignore me are more fun to stalk

Nov 10 06 11:48 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

(looking in opposite direction)

Nov 10 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Anjel Britt wrote: