Forums > General Industry > Is your time being wasted?

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

You will impress me soooo much if you just:
"FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS"

So the word is out that I am the Director of Photography for One Up Innovations, which is the parent company that manufactures sex furniture under the name The Liberator.

Each month, our ads can be seen in over 22 magazines worldwide including Playboy, Penthouse, Maxim, Stuff, FHM, Maxim UK, Mens Health, Muscle & Fitness, Men's Health UK, Cosmo, Rolling Stone, etc. Collectively over 22.5 million potential viewers to my photography.
Quite an impressive tear sheet if you are a model looking for more exposure. (plus, I pay all my models very, very well)

However, I am sick and tired of wannabe models contacting me on Model Mayhem, OMP, and MySpace telling me that they like my work and want to model for the Liberator and then flaking out on our first meeting.

Excuses like "My phone was dead," "I got evicted," "My boyfriend stole my car." (that was a good one) I have heard them all. But what pisses me off is that the excuses come several weeks after their "no show, no call"

Like I am really going to hire you for a modeling job when you can't even make it to the initial casting meeting? Or don't even make the effort to call on the day of the meeting to reschedule. And then get upset later when I tell them that I am not interested in working with them anymore.

haha... wake up and take responsibility and act like a professional if you expect to be treated like one.

The Liberator creative ad team (there is 9 of us from writers, media buyers, Photoshop artists, designers, photog dept, web administrators, etc.) works with a budget of $185,000 each month that is used in our media advertising.

Do you really think I can risk hiring a model that could possibly flake out on the day of the photoshoot?

Here is an idea... Go ahead and keep playing in your wannabe modeling world and have bullshit weekend photoshoots that you can post in your "MySpace Pics" and possibly appear on a rave flyer or some stupid DJ apperarence.
woohoo.
Leave the professional paying modeling gigs to the professional models (and those that want to be) that know how to follow instructions...Like showing up.

I am creating this in my blog and from now on, I will forward it to all of the internet so called "models" that contact me for photoshoots. That way, we know exactly what to expect from eachother....

I am not having trouble finding dependable, hard working models...(and interviewing some that I will be working with soon) But to all the others that I mentioned above... This is not a hobby for me, so please stop wasting my time.

I know that this is a venting thread and the topic has been beaten into the ground, however, with the accessability of the internet where everyone with a digital camera is a photographer and every person with a MySpace page is a model...it's gotten way out of hand.

Model and photographer alike... just do what you say you are going to do.  Is that too much to ask?

Nov 10 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Scott Story Photography

Temple, Texas, US

I agree... Tell them Tim...

Nov 10 06 08:39 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tim, why don't you hire me as your muscle...I can go stalk the girls and intimidate them when they flake.  I've got whips and paddles and stuff...I could scare them into submission...:-)

Nov 10 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

Who the hell would be stupid enough to flake for a shoot with you...   HELLO!!

Nov 10 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

I got a kodak easy share on ebay.  I am a photographer now.  Can I work for you, I only work wednesdays and not before noon.

Nov 10 06 09:08 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Trevor Borchelt wrote:
I got a kodak easy share on ebay.  I am a photographer now.  Can I work for you, I only work wednesdays and not before noon.

Our schedules match, and you sure do sound professional.  Let's get together and, what's the word?  Oh, right...collaborate.

Nov 10 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Susi wrote:
Tim, why don't you hire me as your muscle...I can go stalk the girls and intimidate them when they flake.  I've got whips and paddles and stuff...I could scare them into submission...:-)

GEEEeeezzzz  I'm gonna have to rearrange my schedule and drop everything and come on over there. 
I'm prepared  to be scared......  among other things

Nov 10 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Viva Van Story wrote:
Who the hell would be stupid enough to flake for a shoot with you...   HELLO!!

You're such a sweety...  Viva, email me your phone # and a good time to call.  I need to ask you questions about the neon graveyard.

Nov 10 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Tee Batinich

Riverside, California, US

Yup, I have even had models flake out on paid shoots. Very embarrasing with the client standing there. I don't handle the hiring of models very much anymore, I let the clients do that.

Nov 10 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

since no-one on mm wastes their own time..

Nov 10 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Understand that Photogs flake also.

Nov 10 06 12:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

lotusphoto wrote:

Yeah but it's a great outlet for venting when no one else will listen!

Nov 10 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

SculptedLife wrote:

Yeah but it's a great outlet for venting when no one else will listen!

dammit, i wasted 10 seconds coming here and reading that, plus the time it took to reply..

Nov 10 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

lotusphoto wrote:

big_smile

Nov 10 06 12:50 pm Link