Forums > General Industry > How the heck do i get this effect in PS?

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

https://www.doralba.com/images/f01.jpg
photo by: http://www.doralba.com .

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions how to achieve a look similiar to this piece's matte cross processed feel with photoshop (or even better,if u could suggest how to work it with a digi cam )

Nov 09 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

www.pslover.com (cross processing, I believe is how that shot might have been done.)

Nov 09 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

do your text tool thing with what ever you want it to say, then go to the layers pallette, and tick on the opacity bar and make it as light or dark as you want.

sorry i thought you were talking aobut something else!!!!!
....never mind.......

Photographer

Tom Holoubek

Rockford, Illinois, US

...you can mess with the "curves" or "hue/saturation" for good cross prossessed looks.

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

If you are proficient in PS then you can design your own curves. Since you posted, I assume you are looking for another solution

Here's one

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/expos … mples.html

Nov 09 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Tom Holoubek wrote:
...you can mess with the "curves" or "hue/saturation" for good cross prossessed looks.

Well when i do a cross processed look on my cam ( see my topless with a blue background in my port, its 18+ due to 1 boob so i cant post it here for you) i dont get the flatness of color in this manner. Specificly, im interested in the flattness of colors.

If you see how i did my topless, thats straight from my cam no PS tweeking what so ever, but thats the closest iv been able to come to duplicating the effects of a cross processed chemicly look.Also, i think there are differant kinds of cross processing, (id imagine ithas to do with how long n how much of what its developed in) so im kinda EHH fustrated!

Nov 09 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

Can't tell you how to get that look exactly, but here are some things you may want to play with...

Take the make a copy layer, and change it to overlay.  play with the opacity of it, as well as the curve levels in the bottom image (or just a selection of the bottom image).

Or, do the same as above, but on the bottom image, desaturate the color so it goes b&w.

Nov 09 06 11:06 am Link

Nov 09 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Cam Chapman

Boca Raton, Florida, US

If you shoot RAW, you can cross process with Capture One software

Nov 09 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

flatness of color comes from relative flatness of curves in the correct places.

Nov 09 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

This question, thread and spattering of answers is driving me nuts.

What do you mean by "cross-processing" as it relates to Photoshop?

In film photography, cross processing means using the wrong chemicals, like putting reversal film in a negative developer. Specifically, it used to be putting negative color film in E6 chemicals (for positive color slides). or color slide film in C41 (negative color film)

Maybe I'm just dumb an uninformed. I've only been using Photoshop since V3.0.

Digital is a totally different beast, and when people talk about photoshop technique as if it's film processing, it give me vertigo.

There's nothing in the Photoshop help index called Cross Processing. Please educate me.

Nov 09 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Cam Chapman wrote:
If you shoot RAW, you can cross process with Capture One software

i havent hactualy heard of COS ill have to look it up if its an option on how to get asimiliar effect with shooting digi,thank ufor the suggestion!

Nov 09 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
This question, thread and spattering of answers is driving me nuts.

What do you mean by "cross-processing" as it relates to Photoshop?

In film photography, cross processing means using the wrong chemicals, like putting reversal film in a negative developer. Specifically, it used to be putting negative color film in E6 chemicals (for positive color slides). or color slide film in C41 (negative color film)

Maybe I'm just dumb an uninformed. I've only been using Photoshop since V3.0.

Digital is a totally different beast, and when people talk about photoshop technique as if it's film processing, it give me vertigo.

Please educate me.

LoL! I apologise for the headache mon ami.. However im fuly aware of what cross processing is , that wans ta question. My question was how could i get the visual apearance of the effect cross processing has on film. Similiar to the image i showed as an example. ^_^ Iv gotten cross processed looking images in the past using digitical by adjusting my settings like a psycho but it didnt have the same look at this ones attibutes( refuring to topless img on blue bg)

Nov 09 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

If playing around with curves and sliders isn't cutting it because it's not doing justice to the rest of the image, try this. It's just a guess as to how I might try it.

Use the eyedropper tool to choose the color you think you want.

Use your magic wand to select the color your trying to get this effect with. You may have to adust the tolerance until you get what you want.

Create a new layer (and make sure that layer is the active layer) while you have the color range selected (the dancing ant line). I'm not sure which version of PS you're using, or if it has the "feather" option, so try pressing ctrl+alt+D. This should bring up a window with a feather radius option. Choose a small radius of maybe 2 pixels (I'm not sure the size of your images). Use the fill option with the color you selected.

If the color isn't just right use the color overlay to adust to taste.

I know I think more artistically and painterly in this program, but it seems to do some good sometimes. Let me know if this does you any good.

Nov 09 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

A girl who models for me screws up all my polished edits for her MySpace by running them through Ifanview and slamming the color enhancer to the right.

It has a similar blown out contrasty flat look

Nov 09 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

removed member

desaturate, and add contrast.

Nov 09 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
A girl who models for me screws up all my polished edits for her MySpace by running them through Ifanview and slamming the color enhancer to the right.

It has a similar blown out contrasty flat look

Issue a "rights" release with your images that states no manipulations without your final approval.

Nov 09 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Creativity Farm wrote:

Issue a "rights" release with your images that states no manipulations without your final approval.

That just brings the lawyers into play.

Nov 09 06 03:05 pm Link