Forums > General Industry > Fingernails

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

So I have long naturally grown fingernails that I keep up and make look nice and I was wondering how long is too long? Unfortunately none of my pics show them very well. I guess what I want to know is if there is a general preference?

Nov 09 06 05:09 am Link

Model

Jessica Apple

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

the length of your fingernails all depends on what looks good on you...if you have long slender fingers you don't need to have them very long for your hand to look graceful...short stubby fingers need them a bit longer. 
Personally, I always just go by the trend...right now the fashion trend for fingernails is really short--just barely passing the tip of your finger.

Nov 09 06 11:29 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It also depends on what genre you want to do. If you look in a lot of magazine ads, the models' nails will be not super long (but obviously manicured to perfection), and nude.

Glamour will go more the route of the obvious french manicure.

Nov 09 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

If they start to curve or look misshapen...they are too long.

Nov 09 06 11:31 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

KelseyAnn wrote:
So I have long naturally grown fingernails that I keep up and make look nice and I was wondering how long is too long? Unfortunately none of my pics show them very well. I guess what I want to know is if there is a general preference?

Kelsey Ann, I prefer to wear mine quite long outside of work; once in awhile long is what's specified for the shoot.  Enjoy this news from the Midwest:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/cour … S1.article

Truly, Kathy Jean
Central Illinois

Nov 09 06 11:47 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I like nails of all lengths... 'cept when they start getting long enough to start curling over.  Women with super long acrylics always make me think of those witch fingers they sell around Halloween... (scary).

Nov 10 06 12:19 am Link

Model

AddieJuniper

Atlanta, Georgia, US

mine look like poop

Nov 10 06 02:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

depending on the look you're going for in your portfolio... i suggest natural, no tips, no french manicures...those are not on trend... pick up a Vogue and Elle and see what all the models hands/nails look like... natural is best, or short with dark nail polish...the white tips are quite passe...very stripper.  not that there's anything wrong with that....

Nov 10 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

KelseyAnn wrote:

I like nails

Nov 10 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I like short natural unpainted nails. But then I make art not commercial work.
Mike

Nov 10 06 03:53 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

jonathan ledeux wrote:

I like nails

good cuz I got em , and although i will polish or unpolish for any shoot , I wont cut em on trade , infact there should be a bit of $$ involved if i am to cut my hair nails etc....(or some super duper publicity and exposure...)

That's just my snotty opinion smile ... LOL

Nov 10 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

Not tooo long or you get into a creepy claw thang...and no corners please.  I really hate the corners.  Round 'em off and paint them. Red.  Black is ok if you're punky/goth/metal.  No other colors are ever acceptable no matter how well the shade might match your outfit.  Don't forget the toes.

I happily pick up the tab to get a model's nails up to spec.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Nov 10 06 05:24 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

Mine grow pretty long and are naturally white and they look good long. So I was just wondering what everyone thought.
I don't do nail polish, I just don't like it. Of course I hate my toe nails so they're always painted.
I really need a good shot of my hands for this, I think.

Nov 10 06 06:49 am Link