Forums > General Industry > trash to treasure?

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

What would/do you do in the following situation?

You ask a model for a tfp, and she rejects you. But not only does she reject you, she says she only takes paid jobs and that her portfolio is almost complete and about to be put up on the site you contacted her through. Also she pans your work, talks about how you are too much of an amateur and could never be an artist.

Fast forward 2 years, you are feeling a bit more comfortable in dealing with models and the one who panned you 2 years ago sends you an email about how she loves your work, likes the style, etc. and even puts in that she considers you an artist. She is asking for a tfp/cd if you would be available for one. what would you do?

ignore? retry? (to set up a shoot) abort?(remind her of what she said 2 years prior)

Nov 09 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

ignore if you can. if you just HAVE to shoot, then just do so without any reminders or attitude.

Nov 09 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Things change, people change, time changes, work changes, be open to the possibilities and give it a shot I say....

Nov 09 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

maybe you improved over the last two years...that would make sense wouldn't it?

Nov 09 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Collin J. Rae wrote:
Things change, people change, time changes, work changes, be open to the possibilities and give it a shot I say....

Yup, I say shoot her. Everyone changes, She may have been a b*tch then and maybe she grew up some since then. You have gotton better right?

Nov 09 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Give attitude.

Nov 09 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Studio Spike wrote:
maybe you improved over the last two years...that would make sense wouldn't it?

well i hope i did. i think even the best shooters are still only students of photography. so i try to improve as much as i can. plus i hope the money i got my family to drop for photo school is paying off.

Nov 09 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:

You ask a model for a tfp, and she rejects you. But not only does she reject you, she says she only takes paid jobs and that her portfolio is almost complete and about to be put up on the site you contacted her through. Also she pans your work, talks about how you are too much of an amateur and could never be an artist.

Fast forward 2 years, you are feeling a bit more comfortable in dealing with models and the one who panned you 2 years ago sends you an email about how she loves your work, likes the style, etc. and even puts in that she considers you an artist. She is asking for a tfp/cd if you would be available for one. what would you do?

ignore? retry? (to set up a shoot) abort?(remind her of what she said 2 years prior)

I have had this happen to me only not to the extreme of someone saying I'd never be an artist. When this model did approach me again, I did shoot with her with not even mentioning the past.
We are all students and teachers. Perhaps in my letting any bad feeling go I helped her with her people skills.
I will also add that I was amazed that she was still around. In this internet age, models and photographers come and go so quickly. It's nice to see some familiar faces still in the game after so many years...

Rich

Nov 09 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Drop your rates on her.

Nov 09 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

It happens. If you want to work with her, work with her. If not, tell her politely, "no thanks."

Avoid the temptation to dig up the past and roll around in the drama.

Paul

Alexei Fomin wrote:

Nov 09 06 08:40 am Link