Forums > General Industry > How much would you charge?

Photographer

BUGS HALLER

Omaha, Arkansas, US

I have a job offer on the table to follow a racing team for an entire season and essentially be their team photogographer.

I have never been hired to do anything like this and I have no idea what a sports photographer charges.

Here's the deal. It's 13 races across the country and in Canada. I would fly in on a thurday, shoot the qualifying rounds on friday and saturday, and the race on sunday... and fly out on monday morning. Travel, room and food would be covered... but what should I be charging for the work?

1. what and how should I charge?
2. should I receive a per diem... if so much how much?
3. anything else I should be thinking about?

If anyone who has experience in thias arena could weigh in I would greatly appreciate it.

Nov 08 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I don't have experience but I would certainly make sure that I made at least my normal weekly income plus extra for "opportunity cost." Since this will take up pretty much all of your time for the 13 weeks (travel, shoots, editing), you will not be able to pursue other clients effectively and will probably have some "downtime" when you get back. I would also ask for a "per diem" of at least $50.00 per day to cover incidentals while traveling or on location.

Hope this helps.

PS: Just noticed that you did mention per diem. You might find the folowing link to be useful - it lists GSA per diem rates for Federal employees by area in which they travel.

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/conten … ntId=17943

Nov 08 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

well to me you need to bring home $500 a week after taxes.   they should pay all your exspenses food , travel  everything.  i have not done anything like that before , but i wouldnt try to live on less than $500 a week for sure.

Nov 08 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Restrained Photo

Richmond, Virginia, US

Ask these guys: http://www.euroimage.us/

They do all the photos for our racing club, NASA Mid-Atlantic.

Nov 08 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

you should have 200 a day from them, and they should pick up everything

Nov 08 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

BUGS HALLER

Omaha, Arkansas, US

Thanks J Merrill... it helps but I really have no idea wht my fee should be. I don't want to screw myself... i obviously want to make as much as possible... don't we all... but I don't want to over-bid and lose the gig... so I really need to know a ball park figure.

Nov 08 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Coleman

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I do this a lot for my real job in sports TV. I can't state what your time (day rate) is worth, but yes, do charge per deim. And a half day rate for each travel day is commonplace. We in TV base our days on a day rate (flat rate for 10 hours) which includes 1 hour for catered meal. Less than an hour and it's a missed meal penalty (1 hour of OT). Standard time and one half for anything over 10 hours. The IRS has a site for determining per deims based on location. Rental car at the airport and your own room. In TV a day rate could be anywhere from $450 - $700 just to walk in the door depending on what door you're walkin thru.

Nov 08 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

darkfotoart wrote:
well to me you need to bring home $500 a week after taxes.

This may be a bit low. You have to figure that sometimes the qualifying trials run rather long days some times. The crew is up early preping the car, and they may be tuning it late at night. It depends on the crew and their luck with the car.

What circuit are they racing? You might do 3-4 hours on the qualifying days or 14 hours. How do they want the photos - on CD or prints? Is it an all inclusive package? You may run $200 per day if you're not experienced up to $1200 per day plus travel time (1/2 day rate for travel for some). Generally if they provide room and food, you shouldn't ask for extra - kinda funky. Just pad your day rate.

Starting out, that gets you $800 per weekend ($100 travel days, $200 3 days). If you want to pad for expenses ask for $250 or $300 per day. More likely $300-$700 per day if you have any ability to get good shots.

Nov 08 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Tough question.

To make it successful, you have to assess the means of the people who want you to help them. Generally speaking, I always counsel working from the market or customer backwards to the product and the price. Most people try to do it the opposite direction and kill opportunities, or never connect with the objective.

Everyone has a different value for money. If they are flush with money, it's different than if they have none. Money isn't everything. Maybe you can take some money, and more benefit in other ways ... i.e. self promotion, free travel, a big gain in experience that will give you knowledge and answers for how you want to proceed in the future.

If you can pull it off, cover your expenses and opportunity cost, then you will be richer for the experience. Think of all the people you will meet, and what you can do with the doors that open to you.

Random thoughts,

Click Hamilton
Smuggler, Entrepreneur

https://k47.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/60932819.2006052713933w.jpg

Nov 08 06 10:24 pm Link