Forums > General Industry > Self Promotion???

Photographer

CymmiJ

Bowie, Maryland, US

What do people do to promote themselves, other than make “Announcements” or post to the forum on MM?  Not even specific to MM, I genuinely curious what other avenues people take?

Nov 08 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

CymmiJ

Bowie, Maryland, US

Can I bump this for more Self Promotion smile

Maybe the day time crowd will have some input???

Nov 09 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Zymmij wrote:
What do people do to promote themselves, other than make “Announcements” or post to the forum on MM?  Not even specific to MM, I genuinely curious what other avenues people take?

Ok...daytime.....now I can post...LOL

Your question is very open ended and giving a specific answer is difficult. I prefer to use the term marketing but essentially it's the same thing.

Making "announcements" on MM while it might be good for your ego probably won't bring in too many offers for paid work judging by all the "no show" threads.

I market my services locally and narrow my marketing to businesses/individuals who I feel can make use of them. It's not always the easiest way to go but so far has produced enough results to keep my busy on a daily basis.

I always carry both hard copies and CDs of my work samples. I give out business cards by the ton. Talk photography to as many people as I can each day no matter where I am because I've had assignments come from the most unlikely places.

I'm always sending out emails to those I feel make good prospects. It's just a matter of making your marketing strategy and sticking to it each and every day.

Like I tell those who think being a photographer is just about taking photos....it isn't. There are a lot of photographer around but I get work because I look for it and not wait until it comes to me. 75% of my time is spent looking for work...the rest is shooting time.

Nov 09 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

CymmiJ

Bowie, Maryland, US

Great input thanks!!!  How about galleries, websites, do you promote to those?

Nov 09 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

https://www.pehoushek.com/SHOWCASE/PRAGUESTREETSCENES1/thumbnails/AdvertisingSandwichBoard.jpg

Nov 09 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I think "what works" for promotion and marketing differs, depending on your location.

Here in NY, I find marketing is heavily dependent on referrals and word-of-mouth, to a much greater extent than in other places I have lived and work, such as California.

Overall, I'd say there's no substitute for face time. Identify potential clients. Call them. Visit them.

Regards,
Paul

Zymmij wrote:

Nov 09 06 09:19 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I rent a helicopter and drop flyers out of it with my website information on it.

Nov 09 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

removed member

yeah.  your question is pretty open ended.  and without specifics, its hard to give any advice.

but... word of mouth is priceless.  spread the word.  theres a saying i think about from time to time.  "your network...is your net worth"

so...be kind.  it will come back to you.

also, before you promote.  you need to 100% identify what it is you are offering.  then identify your target. (ie..people/companies who will pay for those offered services)

then just think of creative ways to get your OFFER infront of your target.

i say offer, becuase thats what you need to promote.  dont make the mistake of just showing an image, with your name on it.  once you have an established name.  then you can just send out name recognition reminders.

but for now....make people aware of what it is you are offering.  follow me?  your not selling pictures.  your selling a model shoot.  or a wedding shoot.....whatever.

and once you get on the horse......dont fall off. 

the turtle won the race.

good luck!

Nov 09 06 09:49 am Link