Forums > General Industry > Personal Websites for Models...

Photographer

Max Shafiq

Tampa, Florida, US

Wanted to see what you all thought of personal websites for models. I see models having profiles on this forum and others, as well as personal sites www.xxxxxx.com (xxxxxx being the models name). Is there any real value in these personal websites? Is this a 'must have' trend?

Comments much appreciated.

Nov 08 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

it's cheaper to run a website of your own where you can upload unlimited #'s of photos, then go to the modeling websites and instead of paying the fees on each website for the "upgraded" portfolio, get the basic package and link to your website.

I'm making one this December, I already bought the domain name

Nov 08 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

I think alot of times it's just silly

But everyone has the right to market themselves right?
I usually don't even look at their websites...their galleries and their "biographies"...oh please

Nov 08 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

With the personal websites you really can do anything you want, whether its for portfolios and exposure, or membership based for money theres no real limitiations in place, and as Jess said it is cheaper than trying to accomplish the same thing on mass modeling sites that make you pay for extended portfolios

Nov 08 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm with Jessalynn on this. I too am in the process of building my personal site.. it's been quite the process as my boyfriend is building the site for me (and he works over 80 hours a week at some points). I think from a financial standpoint, it's a better deal as I plan to downgrade my OMP site as soon as the site is finished. Also having a personal site will help market yourself a little better I think... just seems more professional than sending a potential client to a model site with thousands and thousands of other portfolios.

Nov 08 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:
I'm making one this December, I already bought the domain name

flyingmonkeys.com?

Nov 08 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

flyingmonkeys.com?

thefrigginstorm.com

(not really. lol)

Nov 08 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

Austyn229

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I agree...the personal website is definitely worth the cost.  It's far more professional, imo, to send someone to your own website, as someone else mentioned, than to send them to a site with thousands of other people they can look at.  I set up my website about a ten days ago, it took me about 4 hours to do, and I've gotten MANY compliments from photographers and clients on how professional it is. I have also already generated paying work from it.

Nov 08 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BTW - having your own site is a must, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'm a site designer on the side, but it's YOUR identity. YOUR creative expression of who you are. One of the few things in life you have complete control over. If it's a professional/business site - this applies even moreso (than a personal site to throw up pics of your dog Frufree and of your hangover from that killer party last weekend).

Web sites are business cards, bio sheets, portfolios, and resumes all rolled into one--and they aren't cost prohibitive anymore. You can host your own through sites like GoDaddy for $30-40 a year. That's the cheapest advertising you can buy.

I think the real question is why WOULDN'T you have your own site?

Nov 08 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:

thefrigginstorm.com

(not really. lol)

I hope it's not Jessalyn_54.com or we'll all collectively have to smack you.

Nov 08 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
BTW - having your own site is a must, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'm a site designer on the side, but it's YOUR identity. YOUR creative expression of who you are. One of the few thigns in life you have complete control over. If it's a professional/business ite - this applies even moreso (than a personal site to throw up pics of your dog Frufree and of your hangover from that killer party last weekend).

Web sites are business cards, bio sheets, portfolios, and resumes all rolled into one--and they aren't cost prohibitive anymore. You can host your own through sites like GoDaddy for $30-40 a year. That's the cheapest advertising you can buy.

I think the real question is why WOULDN'T you have your own site?

I agree big_smile

Nov 08 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Austyn229

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

GoDaddy is who I used, and I know nothing about HTML or any of that stuff, but like I said, I got my site up in about 3 hours by myself and others have commented that it looks professional, clean, very nice...so I'm not just tooting my own horn :-)

Nov 08 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

StudioSeventeen

Laguna Beach, California, US

I recomend SoloModels.com

if you want a easy awesome website for yourself with music

www.SoloModels.com

cant beat the price or quality

Nov 08 06 02:17 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

I hope it's not Jessalyn_54.com or we'll all collectively have to smack you.

lol. hells no. why would I do that?

Nov 08 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

And there are a ton of places online to download free templates where you just enter in the content/images. It may not be one of a kind or super fancy, but you don't need super fancy.

I finally convinced my brother to drop AOL (at $10/month) and let me build his business web site with his own POP email account. He's saving $60-70 a year now and has more advetising for his business. It's a no-brainer.

Nov 08 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:
lol. hells no. why would I do that?

Cuz people from Kansas are nutsy-cuckoo?  ::::runs out of thread::::::::::

Nov 08 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

as a model yes I have my own website, modleinh website, profile websites, fourums, chat rooms, yahoo groups, all come and go. My website allowes me to funnel all this hits and contacts and photograhers artists all into one easy to find place.

I have seen more thamn one photographer forget a MM number, opr OMP number and I just want people to find me in 30 seconds or less,,,,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Iona+Lynn

Nov 08 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Max Shafiq

Tampa, Florida, US

StudioSeventeen wrote:
I recomend SoloModels.com

if you want a easy awesome website for yourself with music

www.SoloModels.com

cant beat the price or quality

Interesting site but isn't this another Model Mayhem/OMP style site? You would still have to pay for a subscription no?

Nov 08 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

In my humble opinion it is a MUST!  An absolute MUST for any Photographer OR Model to have a website if they are going to get the most promotion value from being online.  Sure Model Mayhem and other free locations online are great, BUT they are not as under your control as having your own website.

Nov 09 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Adler Photographic

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Check out:

www.electricfolio.com

Personal websites for models, photogs, artists and alike. Easy, inexpensive, cutom and fast.

Nov 09 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I've had my own domain since 1998.  It has, at times, been a showcase of my modelling work, photography, web development portfolio, and video game development resume.  It's handy and easy for people to remember, rather than some # on a separate site.

Nov 10 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Austyn229 wrote:
GoDaddy is who I used, and I know nothing about HTML or any of that stuff, but like I said, I got my site up in about 3 hours by myself and others have commented that it looks professional, clean, very nice...so I'm not just tooting my own horn :-)

Gota love someone with an ad campaign like this. Who else would you use smile

15mb file. May take a min to download

www.jmdeanphoto.com/pics/godaddygolf.mp4

Nov 10 06 04:18 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

My website is currently a shodow of what it will be , I intend to post performance dates... shoots a calandar .. etc... it is very benificial for all the things i do as well as modelling...

I also attract fans and clients through other walks in my life so it is a plus in my life to have a website.

Nov 10 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

North Carolina Visual

Williamston, Michigan, US

I need to find a good hosting company I have finish my site design and have a domain I was on Brave host but I found out they are phishers, & hackers.

Nov 10 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

See my post above. They host real cheap too. I pay 6.99 a month.

Nov 10 06 04:42 am Link