Forums > General Industry > do you have a diteria for frinds/tage/comments?

Photographer

Faith Bowman

New York, New York, US

ok- i am wondering- does anyone have a criteria for who they will add or accept comments and tags from, or do you just take whatever attention that you can get? have you ever deleted a 'friend'?

*yeah- i can see that i spelled it wrong in the header...duh.

Nov 08 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Almost all of the people on my friends list are people I actually know, have met or worked with, or that have hired me.  There are a couple of exceptions, but that's all.

Nov 08 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I just deleted my entire friends list, and I think I'm going to keep it that way.  I don't find it a particularly useful feature, personally.

Nov 08 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Everyone on my f-list I have worked with, plan on working with, wish to work with or just plain respect.

I don't think the f-list should be a definite "I'm going to be working with this person" collection.  Oft times I find myself going through my friends, opening their portfolio just to see what they've been up to lately.

Nov 08 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Comments or tags, no, they stay.  They are simply about making contact.  It is what this site is about.  Friends are someone I would at least like to share a mutual interest.

Nov 08 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Faith Bowman

New York, New York, US

sorry- had to run an errand...

i started out looking at people that i knew real life, and also peeps i wanted to work with, and then widened to people that inspire, good contacts (i cherish my betcee may tag...fer real), good photo ideas i might want to explore. people i might want to visit, people i want others to look at etc.

but i was feeling guilty over deleting some people who had booty shot avatars or that i knew in my heart i wasn't really into contacting etc. so i was curious if anyone else did the same...

ok- off to studio class. thank you for the responses!

faith

Nov 08 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The friends list doesn't seem useful to me and I add anyone who asks.

I use the Favorites feature if I need to keep certain profiles highlighted.

I've never deleted a tag or comment yet, but I'm sure unwanted, unwelcomed un-constructive criticism wouldn't stay in my port either.

Nov 08 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

my imaginary friends went across the street to play with other kids for 'a second', but never came back..

Nov 08 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Faith Bowman wrote:
"do you have a diteria for frinds/tage/comments?"

Sorry Faith,

that headline makes me cringe everytime when I see it... and I am not even native to this language.

Nov 08 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Lora wrote:
The friends list doesn't seem useful to me and I add anyone who asks.

I use the Favorites feature if I need to keep certain profiles highlighted.

I've never deleted a tag or comment yet, but I'm sure unwanted, unwelcomed un-constructive criticism wouldn't stay in my port either.

That's exactly what I do.  I have deleted a couple of comments because they were neither compliments or critiques.  Just random comments, seemingly about nothing.

Nov 08 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

A contact is a contact. It cost me nothing to ad or maintain.

From time to time, people will travel and some have contacted me to collaborate on a shoot because they knew someone in the area where I live.
Remember, what works for me, might not work for others.

Nov 08 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

UdoR wrote:
that headline makes me cringe everytime I see it... and I am not even native to this language.

or

UdoR wrote:
that headline makes me cringe when I see it... and I am not even native to this language.

but not both..

all kidding aside, your english is probably better than 95% of americans, not that that means much..

Nov 08 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

mia vaughn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Faith Bowman wrote:
ok- i am wondering- does anyone have a criteria for who they will add or accept comments and tags from, or do you just take whatever attention that you can get? have you ever deleted a 'friend'?

*yeah- i can see that i spelled it wrong in the header...duh.

i keep all opportunities..... I recently was seen as a friend on an mua's por, was then viewed and then contacted, then offered an awesome opportunity... You never know!!

Nov 08 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Add:
- People I have worked with
- People I'd like to work with (local or somewhere I am planning to visit)
- Local photographers

Delete:
- Models who don't show up for a shoot
- Models who read but do not respond to emails in a timely fashion
- Models I have worked with who I would not recommend (very few, fortunately)

Nov 08 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Dogs I accept. Cats no,  Rabbits give the best comments.

Nov 08 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

UdoR wrote:

Sorry Faith,

that headline makes me cringe everytime when I see it... and I am not even native to this language.

you mean you don't have diteria for frinds and tages? I thought everyone did...

Nov 08 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I've declined friend requests if they are from people I don't wish to be in touch with. I only delete comments if they're rude.

Nov 08 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

I contracted Diteria once, thank GOD for penicillin!

Nov 08 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I've only declined one friend request; it was from someone who I had been having a fight with in the forums. I have no idea why this person sent me a friend request -- I thought it a bit odd. But they are no longer a member and so it doesn't matter at this point. So, normally I accept anyone as a friend as I'm interested in networking and it doesn't "cost" me anything to have a lengthy friends list.

And, I only have one person on my blocked list. I'm pretty easy to get along with I guess...

Nov 08 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

They have to make some sort of contact, a message, a tag, a convo in the forums, whatever. That's my only "friends list" requirement. It's one small area that I thankfully can afford not to be snobby about.

As far as I'm concerned, the good thing about this place IS the Myspace aspect, only it's a Myspace focused on photography and modelling. We can come here and post and chat. I'm not here to find work or promote myself. The internet just isn't relevent for that.

Nov 08 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Faith Bowman wrote:
but i was feeling guilty over deleting some people who had booty shot avatars...so i was curious if anyone else did the same...

faith

Yep, I'm the same.  I don't normally add people with booty shots.  That's basically my criteria.  That, and it can't be a GWC (i.e. disposable camera).

Nov 08 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Model D Nic

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ive deleted pervert guys lol the ones without the cameras that have found their way on here asking me about my feet and if i've got cute friends.

otherwise, it's all networking, your friends list can be a place to go when you are looking for those who have a similar interest in working together.

Nov 08 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

"do you have a diteria for frinds/tage/comments?"
they must have the ability to type correctly?

smile

Nov 08 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

The people who's "friendships" I request are the people who inspire me.

I accept pretty much everyone with an excemption to obvious GWCs

Nov 08 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Unlike Real Life, what a "Friend" is isn't clear. (Note capitalization. In that context [only], "Friend" is someone on a list of people which is labeled a "Friends List"; it doesn't mean a real friend.

In fact, it can mean just about anything or nothing. People you see frequently in Real Life™; people you exchange email/pm/im with frequently; people you may want to work with; people you have worked with; people who sent you a request for any reason; etc.

Friendster's fuzzy default is different than MySpace's fuzzy default which is different from LiveJournal fuzzy defaults which are different from MM defaults.

Your list means only what you think it means.

Times of transition are times of ambiguity and opportunity.

Nov 08 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

I tag a model I want to work with.

I PM a model I Really want to work with.

I friend a model I'm going to try to work with soon, easier to find to tag again or message again when she doesn't answer...lol.

I fave a model I might want to follow up with later.

Seems efficient to me.

Nov 08 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Rae01

Austin, Texas, US

i delete the booty shot people, as well.  it seems like they're always the ones who make friend requests without leaving comments or tags, anyway.

Nov 08 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

I'm unsure what relavance the friends list as for me.  I've not refuse any requests, nor have I deleted any comments.

As for making them myself, I'll tag or comment someone I notice who is local to me and I might work with.  I'll also tag anyone I see who is begging for a little luv.  I generally only friend someone if they talk to me about doing work together.

Nov 08 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

I am very picky for this reason: a tag, a comment or a friend is also an advertisement of that person. If I must advertise others, I want them to be what I consider talented.

Nov 08 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I rceently cleaned pu my "Friends" list and limited it to people I've actually done shoots with, talked to about shoots, or feel some association with in my area. I even state this in my profile, but I'll still get that random request from someone in NJ or soemthing that I don't even know....and I'm wondering why they pick me (probably mass request whores).

Tags and comments....I'll leave comments. Occasionally I might delete a tag if it seems nonsensical.

Nov 08 06 02:32 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

So far, I have accepted all friends requests. I send friend requests to anyone whose work I like or I might like to work with. If I really like someone, I'll leave a comment or tag.

Nov 08 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Faith Bowman

New York, New York, US

yes! i typed too fast and then when i wanted to edit my dyslexic tag i couldn't? and then i thought...bet the FIRST reply will be "people who can spell"

mr. udo- i heartily apologize for the butchering of my native language...i am also capable of butchering french, german, some spanish, and now? i can butcher japanese in hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

sigh*

Nov 08 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Faith Bowman

New York, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the good thing about this place IS the Myspace aspect, only it's a Myspace focused on photography and modelling. We can come here and post and chat. I'm not here to find work or promote myself. The internet just isn't relevent for that.

that's the part that i like as well- being able to look and see oh, they are connected to or have worked with this or that local person- so no surprises. and also, if i HAD to get a reference ( which i usually wouldn't bother with- your port serves as that) then the people are out in the open. it seems like a much safer option than a site where someone emails you and then you can't really get a feel for their background from their photos...i don't look at it from a job angle either- just a resource for shoots/ideas.

what a lot of great answers! lol! and correctly spelled, too...;-D

Nov 08 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

nope i pretty much will add anyone who sends me a request. i assume they have a reason for doing so, and I have no reason to deny. meaningless list then, i know, but whatever. tags are tags. i don't tag unless i feel the need or am just letting someone know i checked their work out. comments are special. i comment rarely and only positively.

Nov 08 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

ah, no child left behind !

Nov 08 06 06:38 pm Link