Forums > General Industry > Perhaps I'm Old Fashioned...

Photographer

artisanobject

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Maybe it's just me, but I would have to say that I find myself really uninspired to work with models who insist on putting a phone-cam picture of themselves flipping off the camera in their portfolio. I mean, I realize that not everybody has professional pictures yet so I suppose if the phone is the best you've got... I myself am just starting out as a photographer, so I don't have too many pictures either, but seriously why try to alienate people in your portfolio.

Nov 06 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Wronkle alert!!!!

Nov 06 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

artisanobject wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I would have to say that I find myself really uninspired to work with models who insist on putting a phone-cam picture of themselves flipping off the camera in their portfolio. I mean, I realize that not everybody has professional pictures yet so I suppose if the phone is the best you've got... I myself am just starting out as a photographer, so I don't have too many pictures either, but seriously why try to alienate people in your portfolio.

I've seen professional shots where people are flipping the bird... would you not work with them also?

Nov 06 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I'm not too fond of the phone cams either.  Flipping of the cam could be bad or just show their spunk.
What I see in the profile is more important.

Nov 06 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'd prefer a simple headshot if it's going to be a camera phone picture, than having them giving me the bird.

Nov 06 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

artisanobject

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Lamonica wrote:

I've seen professional shots where people are flipping the bird... would you not work with them also?

At that point it's a professional shot, there was a concept behind it and a reason for doing it. Also, it's backed up with the technical quality of the aforementioned professional shot. To me that makes it a valid addition to a portfolio showing a range of emotion and, yes, spunk. Without that it looks unprofessional and like they wouldn't be very pleasant to work with. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm just saying that I was always taught to lead in an engaging and professional manner.

Nov 06 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I find that approach off-putting as well, and it simply keeps me from contacting the "model" in question.
  First impressions are important.
  If you find it offensive, exercise your right to move on.

Nov 06 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

https://studiospike.com/post/2006/11/bird.jpg

Nov 06 06 10:17 pm Link