Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Okay... So, I know my way around Photoshop pretty well. But I don't know everything. There's a few things I haven't been able to figure out. I want to know that program inside and out. Everything. Or at least most of it. Lol...

So, I was thinking about buying the book "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book" by Adobe Creative Team. Or,  "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby.

Anyone here have one of these books, or both? Is it worth buying? Or is just basic shit you can find tutorials for online?

Nov 06 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

no matter how much you read... you will never know even half of what PS can do!!
but that is a good start!!

Nov 06 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

i got the one by scott kelby as a gift from another photographer, i only found a few new tips and tricks I did not know how to do

Nov 06 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

The Classroom In a Book series are quite good and I recommend them. However, if you want to really get into Photoshop's capabilities for photography, I recommend a photography-oriented book. I especially like "Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women" by Kevin Ames.

M

Nov 06 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Scott Kelby helped write PS, so you can't go wrong.

Also, purchase this book: "SKIN" - it's a great new PS book you might enjoy.

smile

Nov 06 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

StMarc wrote:
The Classroom In a Book series are quite good and I recommend them. However, if you want to really get into Photoshop's capabilities for photography, I recommend a photography-oriented book. I especially like "Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women" by Kevin Ames.

M

Excellent book btw...

Nov 06 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

ward wrote:

Also, purchase this book: "SKIN" - it's a great new PS book you might enjoy.

smile

I was at the book store and debated on that book or a book on camera RAW. I decided the skin book could wait til next paycheck, lol!
It will be in my collection soon though...

Nov 06 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Rob Gillespie

Bedford, England, United Kingdom

I've got the classroom in a book for CS (I don't have CS2) and it's as dry as dust but if you work all the way through it you will get a good understanding of the majority of photoshop tools.
After that I just did a load of research on the net and practised until I could make it do what I wanted.
It's like anything else - nail the basics and then let your imagination go wild.

Nov 06 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening - if you haven't made up your mind on one of the others.

Nov 06 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I just go to the Borders or Barnes and Nobles a couple times a week and read ALL the photoshop books.

Nov 06 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Thanks for all the suggestions. Knowing me, I'll get to Borders Books, won't be able to make up my mind and buy them all. Lol...

Nov 06 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

PK Brazil wrote:
I just go to the Borders or Barnes and Nobles a couple times a week and read ALL the photoshop books.

Yeah... I love that you can sit for hours at Borders and read then leave. Lol..

Nov 06 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MMDesign wrote:
Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening - if you haven't made up your mind on one of the others.

This is an excellent book.  I refer to it all the time.

Nov 06 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

ward wrote:

While some of his books are decent, he was not involved in the development of the product.

Nov 06 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Check out

www.good-tutorials.com

Nothing but user submitted step-by-step PhotoShop tips and tricks.

Nov 08 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Three books directly in front of me all the time while working in Photoshop CS2 are:
the Photoshop CS2 book by Scott Kelby, (I use this as a text to teach Photoshop CS2 to 185 students in college )
Martin Evenings Adobe Photoshop for Photographers, and
Kevin Ames's book The Art of Photographing Women

One thing about Kelby is that he is the Editor in Chief  and co-founder of Photoshop User Magazine, Editor in Chief of Nikon's Capture User Magazine, Editor in Chief of Layers magazine.  He is also the President of NAPP..the National Association of Photoshop Professionals.  I figure if he doesn't know it and have it in one of his books, then it probably isn't worth knowing. smile

Nov 08 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I like the Kelby book mentioned, as well as Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Restora … F8&s=books

Nov 08 06 10:12 pm Link