Forums > General Industry > The White List..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I spend a lot of time being argumentative and questioning the logic of things around here..  Advocating for the "little guy", and blah, blah..

I don't like seeing people get their feelings stepped on, BUT!

For those of you who are serious about getting into the business.. There's plenty of HARD lessons to be learned and there are some folks here who actually are in the industry that can help you..

The snag.. There's also a huge rash of middle tier and less folks who just like to dump on people and give BS info because it makes them sound important (at least to themselves)..

A lot of the pros get disgruntled with the place because their wisdom gets caught up in the crosswinds of bullshit and get treated as such..

I was wondering if there was any way to create a who's who list, so people might have some idea who they're talking to when they are giving or receiving advice.

It doesn't mean I'm not going to keep arguing that everyone should be nice from my Utopian la-la land where puppies and lollypops fall from the sky, but.. If you serious about making it to a runway or a magazine cover, or the inside of a JC Penny's catalog.. You should know who's real and who's blowing smoke up your ass..

Any thoughts on this?

Nov 05 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

that doesn't hold water too well either unfortunately...i hear ya, but would you take advice on government from inside the White House?

i think that you can look at someone's portfolio and find out all you need to know..pretty much

;lol

Nov 05 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Seattle Photo wrote:
that doesn't hold water too well either unfortunately...i hear ya, but would you take advice on government from inside the White House?

i think that you can look at someone's portfolio and find out all you need to know..pretty much

;lol

People look at my port and repeatedly confuse me for someone who knows what I'm talking about.. This is the internet.. Pics can be faked.. Bios can be lied about..  Not that either of those are really the issue..

But there's a difference in quality of advice from someone who does TFP, to someone who's run a successful portrait studio, to someone who's shot fashion photography for umpteen years and has been on the runways and in the magazines - as that advice applies to a would be model..

And for the most part people expect the clueless to be able to decipher what's what, and then get mad at them when they make mistakes..

I'm just hoping the collective works of wiser minds might think up a way around that.

Nov 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

blowing smoke up asses is a hobby of mine.... why desperage that??

Here are some pros I know...

Escalante
Israel Colon
Incident Photo
Marko Cecic-Karuzic

Nov 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

well, who wants to take thee time to compile a list like that and that could be faked too.

i mean if people are using fake pictures in their portfolio or lying about themselves, that can't hold water for long.  that is one fo the reasons that you join a photo org like APA, ASMP, EP, PPA, Etc

Jim

Nov 05 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Escalante
Israel Colon
Incident Photo
Marko Cecic-Karuzic

Not desparaging.. It's what I do, too..  Trying to find a happy medium between the pros and the plebes as it always seems to be something under contention..

I used to argue all the time with area291.. Because he had a horrible attitude..  I didn't generally argue with his points, but.. He eventually got frustrated and left (not over me, I think..)  And I hear about others leaving as well, and that's a shame..

I don't think we should be setting out special "pros only" cushions.. But I don't want to drive anyone off, either..

Nov 05 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Seattle Photo wrote:
well, who wants to take thee time to compile a list like that and that could be faked too.

i mean if people are using fake pictures in their portfolio or lying about themselves, that can't hold water for long.  that is one fo the reasons that you join a photo org like APA, ASMP, EP, PPA, Etc

Jim

The title was tongue in cheek.. I'm just asking for ideas...

Nov 05 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Escalante
Israel Colon
Incident Photo
Marko Cecic-Karuzic

Well, three out of four ain't bad.

I also have to disagree that you can tell who is able to give competent advice from a portfolio.  The ability to take good pictures simply means you have the ability to take good pictures.  It might also lead to access to working models and some understanding of the agency system, but often it does not.  It might lead to a substantial commercial career, in which you interact with ad agencies, clients, model agencies and such . . . or it might not.  A photographer might learn something real and valuable from such contacts, or he might not.  He might tell the truth, or he might say something entirely false because it serves his purposes.

On the other hand, someone who has worked as an art director or ad account exec, in a model agency, or with a magazine that routinely hires models may be able to give excellent advice, even if they can't shoot their way out of a paper bag.

Pretty pictures seems to me no warrant that anything that comes out of his typewriter will be worth listening to and following.

Nov 05 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

^ What he said.

Nov 05 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

true to a degree. i know many photographers who are making 10K+ a day who do not know anything technical, but they do know that they need to hire people who do.

a pretty picture is a pretty picture, but you can tell a picture that has been produced and had hours of prep over ones that have not.  just like when a photographer is hired for a campaign. they look at his portfolio to select him to bid on the job, but then his bid will show that he knows what he is doing too.

i hear what you are saying and it is a valid point though.

Nov 05 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

this would work if there was a resume section beyond the "about me."  those that wish could fill out a form that would convert to a consistent method of detail, separated by state, etc.....oh wait a second.  let's have the site work to build a stronger search engine.  first things first.

--face reality

Nov 05 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I spend a lot of time being argumentative and questioning the logic of things around here..  Advocating for the "little guy", and blah, blah..

It doesn't mean I'm not going to keep arguing that everyone should be nice from my Utopian la-la land where puppies and lollypops fall from the sky, but.. If you serious about making it to a runway or a magazine cover, or the inside of a JC Penny's catalog.. You should know who's real and who's blowing smoke up your ass..

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah.  Unfortunately they go over two sentences, a danger in MM land.

While I would think it's beneficial for folks to know who's who, on the other hand, I don't know that I wish the influx of any extra MM drama upon any of the white list guys and gals.  Lightning rods if you were.

Here's where I see the problem.  Respect.  Plain and simple.

I know, I've had some pointed discussions with some "white listers," but it wasn't out of spite or drama, it's because I felt strongly about my points and they about theirs.  But disagreeing about a point is wholly different than lack of respect.  Someone who has dedicated a number of years to their craft and who comes from a place of integrity deserves respect.  You may disagree, but you need to come to a place where no one's dignity is lost.

The other issue is brown nosing.  I'm one of those people that isn't impressed with status or labels but rather quality.  That's why I very much am inspired and enjoy the thoughts and input of a number of "non-pros" on this site.   And pros whose work I respect, or whose outlook on life I enjoy, I gravitate towards.  Isn't that the way it should be?   As a human, do you really need a gold star by someone's name for you to determine how you feel or wish to relate to them?

Nov 05 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Oh, and a way around the disgruntled pros who want to help but get bitched out by the BS artists is that moderated (verified qualified) Q&A board/forum I suggested.  Where someone like, TXPH for instance, doesn't have to keep ramming his head against the wall and keyboard (as I imagine he might do sometimes) having to hear his free advice being lost amongst those whose bio is that they are fresh from viewing the lastest installment of ANTM.

There is an interesting cross section on MM, of a good number of aspirings, those who harbour realistic or not-so-realistic visions of making it in "the industry."  Having people who have actually had some success in the photographic world, willing and able  to be in a forum where worthwhile discussions free of BSartists would be a worthy endeavour, I think.

Nov 05 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
...free of BSartists would be a worthy endeavour, I think.

but... but... then where would *I* go?

Nov 05 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I thought was going to have something to do with outing people who can't admit to being caucasian or something...

The only problem with trying to compile a list of "Here are the real industry people to whom you should listen" is that a bunch of people who wouldn't know will pipe up and throw out names of people popular on the internet whom they like.  And just like the advice of those in the industry getting muddled with the bs, the list will become full of shit, too.

I suggest diligent research and more than a little quiet observation.  It's helped me stumble upon an industry person or two who has offered me advice here and there...

Nov 05 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
I suggest diligent research and more than a little quiet observation.  It's helped me stumble upon an industry person or two whose offered me advice here and there...

Agreed. Though I'd say a LOT of quiet observation and I'd add several non-industry types that are just very competent.

Nov 05 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Caveat Emptor.

Nov 05 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I guess listing the helpful people would be easier than listing all the hordes of burned-out cynical ones. big_smile

Nov 05 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

This seems like an excellent suggestion but I am not sure where the demand is.  I am always amazed that people ask for critiques on the critique board.  Why should I want these random opinions from random people?  But the critique board is very popular.  (I understand that much of it is just attention gathering but some people seem to appear to really want critiques and seem to value comments from random people.)  There seems to be a real post-modernist Wikipedia mentality among those raised on the net:  there are no editors, every view is equally valid, the audience votes on quality.  American Idol is real life.

Years ago,  I was active on some of the photo bulletin boards where technical questions would be asked.  This was back in the age of film and in a former life I was a chemist and then a physicist so I understood some of the technical issues about film and I would dutifully answer questions until I realized that there is a technology even older than film that these people were not exploiting, called "books."  People were just too stupid and lazy to look something up, read a chapter in a book, so they send a question into the ether knowing someone who has learned it already will write them a response.  Go buy a book.

My point is that experts in the field might see the value of expertise, but most people not only fail to recognize expertise, they don't really want it, they don't even think it exists, all information is equally valid and failure is due to bad luck.

Nov 05 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
I guess listing the helpful people would be easier than listing all the hordes of burned-out cynical ones. big_smile

Oops... that eliminates me right there... wink

Nov 05 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Ivan123 wrote:
...and I would dutifully answer questions until I realized that there is a technology even older than film that these people were not exploiting, called "books."  People were just too stupid and lazy to look something up, read a chapter in a book, so they send a question into the ether knowing someone who has learned it already will write them a response.  Go buy a book.

My point is that experts in the field might see the value of expertise, but most people not only fail to recognize expertise, they don't really want it, they don't even think it exists, all information is equally valid and failure is due to bad luck.

Ka-boom...

Okay, here is my gripe and it's nothing against you.  Also, I've nothing against reading either; since my actual decision to become a photographer preceeded the purchase of my first camera by 6 or 7 months, I spent that time reading every book on the shelf at Barnes & Noble and when I was done there I did the same thing at the Borders down the street.

Anyway, my issue is this, at what point do the new-learners cross from being knowledge seekers in search of wisdom to being "too-lazy-to-pick-up-a-book"?   

This is not an attack at you in any shape, form, or fashion.  I'm genuinely curious because I consider myself as one of those seeking the knowledge.  And I'm certainly not suggesting that all pros should open up and share and answer all questions of anyone asking. 

Just not clear on how people make the determination.  It is, admittedly different for everyone, but I see many who make the blanket statement of "I'm tired of helping people who aren't trying to help themselves first" and in the process they effectively close themselves off from the people who are trying to help themselves.

(not saying that you're one of these people, your statement just made me think of it)

Nov 05 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

im a complete fake

i have never worked with anyone of value or reputation
or talked to them about the art

i am 21 live in a trailer and have 6 kids
i have never been published, or invited to art events around the world
have never travelled

have never been asked back actually never even modelled for real
the pics arent of me
or if they are i took them myself

i have no education no relevant experience no ideas no character
nothing to offer i have never given good advice
& never been paid either

i am dumb, flabby, i have a big butt...wait,
that parts NOT funny!!

Nov 05 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Well.. I don't think anything here should confuse this place than anything more than a bar at happy hour.. The dumbasses are all here, and the smartasses are trying to fit in so they're acting like dumbasses, too..

But if you can filter over the noise and tune on.. There's a lot of useful wisdom out there.. And so far I've found that it doesn't require the blowing of too much smoke up anyone's posterior.

Hi.. I like your work.. How'd you do that.. Usually leads to interesting conversations..

The atmosphere obviously isn't for everyone..  And the cross-talk is rampant..

One little niggle that kind of bugs me.. Is there's a number under everyone's names that some people seem to equate with actually having something to say..

I'd gleefully swap that out with a voluntary "amateur" or "hobbyist" or whatever else would briefly let people know where I stand..

A couple tags like: fashion, or art, or glamour.. Might go a long way too..  In a bar.. You're a bobbing head.  In a meeting.  You're a name tag, and if you're lucky.. A reputation..

Here we have a revolving door and everyone has to get reintroduced on a daily basis.. 

I'm not look for a "to kill" list.. Hell, I'm not looking for anything specifically.. 

But if I posted a critique or started a thread and got a response from UdoR and a response from Raven's Laughter and I didn't know my way around.. It would be quite easy to not have a clue what context each response was coming from.. We're just a bunch of text and an avatar..

If UdoR had Photographer, Fashion under his name.  And Raven had Photographer, Art (or even "Other").. I might have some perspective to add to the story..  Once I had that I might be inclined to click an avatar and see more..

These are just idle thoughts..  Everyone bashes what's wrong with MM..  One of the things that ISN'T wrong is the Bullshit..  It's what we're here for.. But that OTHER thing we're here for (networking and meeting folks).. Needs an enhancement or 3 to help filter around the bullshit..

Nov 05 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I like the bullshit. It's funny and a good distraction.

RB

Nov 05 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
If UdoR had Photographer, Fashion under his name.  And Raven had Photographer, Art (or even "Other").. I might have some perspective to add to the story..  Once I had that I might be inclined to click an avatar and see more..

But Bill, who decides what the words under the name ought to be?  When Udo says he's a fashion photographer, it means something.  When some newbie in South Dakota who thinks he's shooting fashion because he hasn't talked any girls out of their clothes yet says it, it means something else entirely.  Do we have a committee vote on whether or not the claims are justified?

Of the last six tearsheets I've gotten, five were haute couture fashion.  But what I like to shoot for myself, and what I offer models, really isn't, at least most of the time.  Nothing on my MM profile is truly "fashion".  Am I a fashion photographer?  Can you suggest a test for what kind of photographer people are, that they can apply to themselves?

Nov 05 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

WG...I can totally agree with your way of thinking on this topic. However, one thing keeps coming to mind. If you "out" all the professionals "in" the industry....it is going to cause problems for those individuals. I can totally see "models" left and right contacting these specific individuals in hopes that they will help the seeker "break" into the industry without working towards this themselves. There have been several posts where "models" have asked about agencies in certain locations. It seems to me (and I hate to say these kinds of things) that many "models" on this site are ....well.....lazy.

I know of all the major agencies that could get me work. I know the phone numbers and the physical addresses of each one of these agencies. It is MY duty as a model (if this is something I wish to pursue professionally) to contact these individuals myself. It is also MY duty to research which market I would/could work in. I also realize this is a dog eat dog business and that in some cases it IS who you know.

I know what I just said could (will) anger some individuals. That is something I dont like doing.

I guess what I am saying is.... it should be up to those with this status to decide who knows that they work in the business. (JMHO)

Meela

Nov 05 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

TXPhotog wrote:
Can you suggest a test for what kind of photographer people are, that they can apply to themselves?

I'm presently searching for just such a test for myself.  No leads at present...

Nov 05 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Meela, I don't think it's hard to figure out who actually works in the business.  (I don't, for instance.  My profile says so.)  A combination of reading what they say about themselves and comparing it to their portfolio tells that story with pretty good accuracy.  Even so, I don't perceive a huge rush of wannabes to the doorsteps of these supposed gatekeepers.  Even the "gatekeepers" who advertise that is what they are, and solicit such folks to sell them something, have trouble getting enough interest.

The much harder point is in figuring out who, in addition to working in the business in some way, has paid attention to how the business works.  Simply being "in it" isn't enough, as we have seen repeatedly here.

And I'm constantly surprised at who really does know stuff.  Some I expect:  Richard (oldguysrule) is obvious.  Udo is obvious.  So are quite a few others.  Some aren't.  Lately a 25 year old model in Detroit has made some remarkably sound, even-handed, knowledgeable posts about the industry.  It's likely at that age, and with her limited exposure to it, that she's not a well-rounded expert, but she has chosen to speak on things she knows about, and has done it very well and authoritatively.

Another one is a frequent (T-shirt level) contributer, a photographer who lives in Oklahoma.  I'm the first to be careful about making judgments just on the basis of geography - but nothing in her profile suggests a vast amount of industry knowledge.  Still, just about everything I've seen her say, on a wide variety of industry subject, has been dead on.  She is, in my mind, a White-lister, despite the lack of an obvious, objective reason to say so.

And there are many more.  This notion of Bills is a good one, but damned hard to implement.  And whoever you choose "in", there will be twenty more who demand to know why they aren't in, despite, in many of those cases, obvious reasons for disqualifying them.

Nov 05 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Meela, I don't think it's hard to figure out who actually works in the business.  (I don't, for instance.  My profile says so.)  A combination of reading what they say about themselves and comparing it to their portfolio tells that story with pretty good accuracy.  Even so, I don't perceive a huge rush of wannabes to the doorsteps of these supposed gatekeepers.  Even the "gatekeepers" who advertise that is what they are, and solicit such folks to sell them something, have trouble getting enough interest.

The much harder point is in figuring out who, in addition to working in the business in some way, has paid attention to how the business works.  Simply being "in it" isn't enough, as we have seen repeatedly here.

And I'm constantly surprised at who really does know stuff.  Some I expect:  Richard (oldguysrule) is obvious.  Udo is obvious.  So are quite a few others.  Some aren't.  Lately a 25 year old model in Detroit has made some remarkably sound, even-handed, knowledgeable posts about the industry.  It's likely at that age, and with her limited exposure to it, that she's not a well-rounded expert, but she has chosen to speak on things she knows about, and has done it very well and authoritatively.

Another one is a frequent (T-shirt level) contributer, a photographer who lives in Oklahoma.  I'm the first to be careful about making judgments just on the basis of geography - but nothing in her profile suggests a vast amount of industry knowledge.  Still, just about everything I've seen her say, on a wide variety of industry subject, has been dead on.  She is, in my mind, a White-lister, despite the lack of an obvious, objective reason to say so.

And there are many more.  This notion of Bills is a good one, but damned hard to implement.  And whoever you choose "in", there will be twenty more who demand to know why they aren't in, despite, in many of those cases, obvious reasons for disqualifying them.

I agree that many of the "white-listers" are easy to spot. As stated at the very end of my.... rantings (lol).....I just feel they should be the ones to say whether their names be placed out there for everyone to know.

Meela smile

Nov 05 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Meela wrote:
I just feel they should be the ones to say whether their names be placed out there for everyone to know.

That's probably a good idea, but in my experience it doesn't matter much.

Nov 05 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Anyway, my issue is this, at what point do the new-learners cross from being knowledge seekers in search of wisdom to being "too-lazy-to-pick-up-a-book"?   

This is not an attack at you in any shape, form, or fashion.  I'm genuinely curious because I consider myself as one of those seeking the knowledge.  And I'm certainly not suggesting that all pros should open up and share and answer all questions of anyone asking. 

Just not clear on how people make the determination.  It is, admittedly different for everyone, but I see many who make the blanket statement of "I'm tired of helping people who aren't trying to help themselves first" and in the process they effectively close themselves off from the people who are trying to help themselves.

I certainly did not mean to slam everyone who was less than expert; I might have more than average knowledge of some things but I certainly do not consider myself "expert" at photography.  I admit, I am a person who tends to turn to books for information.  I have never taken a photography class and I am always amused when people say I am "self-taught."  Huh?  I am NOT self-taught, I learned how to develop film and print paper from the 1973 edition of The Amateur Photographer's Handbook.  I learned kalitypes from The Keepers of Light.  I didn't make this stuff up out of my own head.  Some people learn better from one-on-one instruction or in a class.  My point was not to slam people who want to learn.  And people who are expert always want to learn. But I think that a lot of people, I would guess the majority, want whatever they do to be first and foremost easy. 

I STILL use film and paper so the knowledge I have no one wants anymore but when they did I was always excited when someone asked me a question.  And I NEVER said "Trade secret!"  I always tried to help.  I guess I was just musing on the hopelessness of the forum format.  If you want help, identify someone whose work you admire, ask a SPECIFIC question and I bet three out of four times they will help you.  Also note that what is being discussed here is (I think) a combination of identification of (1) people with technical knowledge and (2) people who know "the industry" however you define that.

Nov 05 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Ivan123 wrote:
I STILL use film and paper so the knowledge I have no one wants anymore but when they did I was always excited when someone asked me a question.  And I NEVER said "Trade secret!"  I always tried to help.  I guess I was just musing on the hopelessness of the forum format.  If you want help, identify someone whose work you admire, ask a SPECIFIC question and I bet three out of four times they will help you.

There may not be many who still shoot the film but there are people out there (such as my hubby) who shoot film and often ask questions to those who they know shoot film. Its not always easy to find these individuals though.

Meela smile

Nov 05 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

SunSplash Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

I don't like seeing people get their feelings stepped on, BUT!

For those of you who are serious about getting into the business.. There's plenty of HARD lessons to be learned and there are some folks here who actually are in the industry that can help you..

The snag.. There's also a huge rash of middle tier and less folks who just like to dump on people and give BS info because it makes them sound important (at least to themselves)..

A lot of the pros get disgruntled with the place because their wisdom gets caught up in the crosswinds of bullshit and get treated as such..

I was wondering if there was any way to create a who's who list, so people might have some idea who they're talking to when they are giving or receiving advice.

Any thoughts on this?

Sounds pretty elitist to me, even if there is a shred of truth to it.  Plenty of talented people have no brains.  Enough people have significant jobs without the slightest idea of how to do those jobs.  I was one for a year and a half about 20 years ago, so I know what I'm talking about.  Back in the 70s, I think it was called the Peter Principle.

Nov 05 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
...Utopian la-la land where puppies and lollypops fall from the sky, but...

Dude, that's fucked.  Who wants to clean up puppy guts after they splatter all over the ground.  Your idea of Utopia is seriously fucked up.  I hope you get hit by a car.

Nov 05 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

See, there is a little problem right there.

If there would be a label "Fashion" under my name, it would limit what I am doing to just that... but I am also a photojournalist AND an artist, who not only had art exhibitions, but of whom (me) are also three documentaries in the making as we speak, and those are exclusively about my art photography and one that includes several aspects of my scope of activities in the visual fields.

I am sure that there are many more colleagues on here who have several lives that run parallel.

Here on MM, I talk and advise mostly about the fashion industry, because I am involved in those aspects... but there is so much more and I am certain that other colleagues limit their info on here to relevant topics.

Nov 05 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Oh, this oughtta be good.  All the wannabes scrambling for the coveted labels.  Isn't it chaotic enough here?

-Don
"Other"

Nov 05 06 08:46 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

I think it's pretty common for forums for general public like this.
For example in medicine world they have separate professional forums and those where professionals interact with public. Same for biology, physics, IT.

Value of MM is in interaction of people with different exposure to photography and modeling, different level of experience.

Nov 05 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

*shrug*..

I'm trying here, folks.. I'm trying..  I've been one of the pro-bashers (more by accident than intent, but still..)  I'm now trying to see it from the other side..

We just had an exodus of stylists..  Do I miss them.. Personally, no.  But, just because their expertise doesn't directly benefit me, doesn't mean they weren't doing a lot of good for others..

I'm pro people doing good things for others.. (Puppies can go screw themselves, Chris.. It's every dog for himself in my world..)

I didn't expect that my suggestion was a good one.. But for all those old hats who complain and complain (or complain and leave).. I thought an open topic on possible ways to improve the situation might bring brighter (and more interested) minds to the table.. 

What are the biggest complaints on MM?  From all sides?  What can be done to help improve them?

That's all I'm wondering about.

- We have professional talent in a lot of fields here who might be willing to help..  All of these should be entirely optional.. But if they are willing, what can we do to get them heard by those who can actually benefit from their advice..?

- We have a lot of inexperienced hopefuls looking for a niche.  Is there a way to get across that not every model is going to end up in Maxim or Vogue or Playboy (depending on their dreams), but more realistic expectations might lead to a niche that fits them..

- Can there be peace between the hobbyists ruining the industry and the pros ruining the hobby?  (Sarcasm)

- Can a Nikon ever truly be better than a Canon (Drunken Sarcasm..)

- Can I have pie.. (Going to bed now.)

Nov 05 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
*shrug*..

I'm trying here, folks.. I'm trying..  I've been one of the pro-bashers (more by accident than intent, but still..)  I'm now trying to see it from the other side..

We just had an exodus of stylists..  Do I miss them.. Personally, no.  But, just because their expertise doesn't directly benefit me, doesn't mean they weren't doing a lot of good for others..

I'm pro people doing good things for others.. (Puppies can go screw themselves, Chris.. It's every dog for himself in my world..)

I didn't expect that my suggestion was a good one.. But for all those old hats who complain and complain (or complain and leave).. I thought an open topic on possible ways to improve the situation might bring brighter (and more interested) minds to the table.. 

What are the biggest complaints on MM?  From all sides?  What can be done to help improve them?

That's all I'm wondering about.

- We have professional talent in a lot of fields here who might be willing to help..  All of these should be entirely optional.. But if they are willing, what can we do to get them heard by those who can actually benefit from their advice..?

- We have a lot of inexperienced hopefuls looking for a niche.  Is there a way to get across that not every model is going to end up in Maxim or Vogue or Playboy (depending on their dreams), but more realistic expectations might lead to a niche that fits them..

- Can there be peace between the hobbyists ruining the industry and the pros ruining the hobby?  (Sarcasm)

- Can a Nikon ever truly be better than a Canon (Drunken Sarcasm..)

- Can I have pie.. (Going to bed now.)

I hope it is at least a cherry pie :}

Nov 05 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Escalante
Israel Colon
Incident Photo
Marko Cecic-Karuzic

I cannot find anybody by name but Marco. Would you give their MM #, so others can see their work?

Nov 06 06 01:21 am Link