Forums > General Industry > TV Shows or Movies that changed popular fashion?

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

What shows, videos or movies had the greatest effect on popular fashion?
I think my list is also a mans list of stupid fashion choices, i did all three of them.  For shame.

1. Saturday Night Fever
2. Miami Vice
3. Magnum PI

Nov 04 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Laugh In

Nov 04 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

OG

"Laugh In" ,  i forgot about that show,  i was to young to know if it had a big effect on popular fashion but i bet it did,  do you think its effect was greater than Saturday Night Fever?  Would that be the show that made hippie/mod fashion mainstream?

Sock it to me

P

Nov 04 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

similar... both confirmed and expanded on trends in parts of society/culture and placed them front and center. TV tends to impact more than film for obvious reasons. Sonny and Cher influenced as well.

if we go back further, virtually all the 50s/early 60s tv shows reinforced and defined the 'norms' for most Americans.

I would point to Rebel Without A Cause as a major influence to pop culture.

Nov 04 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Friends....(I distinctly remember a MILLION girls getting the "rachel" haircut...)

Nov 04 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

nineandnineteen wrote:
Friends....(I distinctly remember a MILLION girls getting the "rachel" haircut...)

ugh... yeah I remember that too!! wink

Nov 04 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Yeah...it was awful.

Also...Darma and Greg....changed a good chunk of female fashions.

And....Queer Eye...men became more "metrosexual"

Nov 04 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

interesting, your right im sure this has always gone on, i think madonna also set a fashion trend somewhere in there.  i remember john travolta being the tv star with long hair in welcome back kotter, he cut it short for Saturday Night Fever, and with in months everybody was cutting their hair and getting cheezy gold chains and angel flights suits.

OG so was it james dean who brought in the jeans and white t shirt look of the 50's

also there was the Flashdance and the torn sweatshirt and leggings thing, lol

Nov 04 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

Some other Movies that I can think of:

Blade Runner - very few if any outfits themselves, but the vision of the future I would bet had a strong influence on some high fashion outfits over the years.

Exit to Eden - Made BDSM style fashions cool for a few years at least following the movie.

The early 30's musicals (with Ziegfield and Busby Berkley productions)

Most movies are just a reflection of the times they are in, the same with TV shows.

I think most derive from small sub-cultures that a movie or TV show popularizes.

One TV show I think had an influence was The Avengers, specifically the character of Emma Peel. I suspect her costumes were a reflection of sub-cultures, but then went on to influence later generations of designers.

Most other TV shows I think are mainly just spreading something already there.

Just my opinion,

Nov 04 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

long watcher,  i agree, the shows themselves did not create the fashion, but rather the shows that turned a look/fashion into a main stream fashion.

by the way interesting list, im going to look up some of those movies,

The avengers were a hot look.

Nov 04 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Music generally changes fashion (not only clothes, but cultural "fashion") more than film or TV ever has.

Nov 04 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you're checking the European fashions books...Marie Antoinette is having a BIG influence on men's wear right now...In fact-the D&G ads of the past 3 months are influenced by MA.
  Other big influences of the past were The Great Gatsby.. Dick Tracy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Sting...Actually, period movies often have a strong influence on designers-since most of them are familiar with costume history, and it kind of joggs them to remember the pretty details of a certain era....

Nov 04 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

GregBrown wrote:
If you're checking the European fashions books...Marie Antoinette is having a BIG influence on men's wear right now...In fact-the D&G ads of the past 3 months are influenced by MA.
  Other big influences of the past were The Great Gatsby.. Dick Tracy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Sting...Actually, period movies often have a strong influence on designers-since most of them are familiar with costume history, and it kind of joggs them to remember the pretty details of a certain era....

I think it's the other way around with Marie Antoinette. Dolce and a few others have been doing the Baroque thing for a while now, and with that floating in the air, my feeling is that Sofia decided to have a go with a film crew.

Anyone notice how Sofia Coppola's stuff has tended to be almost read as fashion editorials (similar style/intent/inspirations)? In The Virgin Suicides she did the suburban chic thing. In Lost In Translation (which I love, mostly for her collaborators, namely Lance Accord, Kevin Shields, and above all Bill Murray), she did the Japanese chic thing. Now she's doing the Baroque chic thing. I've got my criticisms about her filmmaking and screenwriting. Not that it's "bad" but something I'd criticise. But I rather enjoy her fashion-styled take on things, even if it is decidedly style over substance.

Nov 04 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

I think it's the other way around with Marie Antoinette. Dolce and a few others have been doing the Baroque thing for a while now, and with that floating in the air, my feeling is that Sofia decided to have a go with a film crew.

Anyone notice how Sofia Coppola's stuff has tended to be almost read as fashion editorials (similar style/intent/inspirations)? In The Virgin Suicides she did the suburban chic thing. In Lost In Translation (which I love, mostly for her collaborators, namely Lance Accord, Kevin Shields, and above all Bill Murray), she did the Japanese chic thing. Now she's doing the Baroque chic thing. I've got my criticisms about her filmmaking and screenwriting. Not that it's "bad" but something I'd criticise. But I rather enjoy her fashion-styled take on things, even if it is decidedly style over substance.

yep yep... absolutely true.
partly its generational... substance being somewhat oldfashioned, and you really have to work at it.

Nov 05 06 02:34 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I think it would be cool if we all dressed more like The 5th Element
;-)
a bit more  GAULTIER .. his Eurotrash TV show had a great impact on men
wearing skirts  etc

Nov 05 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Anjel Britt wrote:
I think it would be cool if we all dressed more like The 5th Element
;-)
a bit more  GAULTIER .. his Eurotrash TV show had a great impact on men
wearing skirts  etc

good one!

Nov 05 06 03:19 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

;-)

thanks!
but would you wear a skirt

(bear in mind, my mother was a Scot
so it might trigger a genetic response.....)

Nov 05 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

nineandnineteen wrote:
Yeah...it was awful.

Also...Darma and Greg....changed a good chunk of female fashions.

What aspect of fashion did Darma and Greg change?  I have not seen a single thing that could be traced as an influence to that show.  That program was influenced by fashion, not the other way around.  TV in general is more reactionary rather than influential.

Impactful programming:

Urban Cowboy
Flashdance

Music videos from Maddona's first album, Duran Duran's Rio album, and Michael Jackson's Thriller, for better or worse, have had greater influences on fashion than Darma and Greg.

Nov 05 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

"The Osbournes"

Geez! How many young girls, and even women, thought it was finally cool to walk around with their guts hanging out thanks to Kelly?

Nov 05 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sonny and Cher!

Dynasty- Joan Collins' hats were the rage for almost a decade.

Nov 05 06 07:01 am Link