Forums > General Industry > Any money in making tear sheets???

Photographer

MichaelO Digital Artist

Clovis, California, US

I see a lot of models who say they are not doing TFP at this time but they are interested in tear sheets.  Does this mean they would like a designer to make a 'fake magazine layout' for them or put together some of their best images on paper with a resume on the back?  Either way, I can do that.  Is there any money in it?

Nov 04 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Er.... no.  I think it means they want a real tearsheet.

A tear sheet is a page torn from an actual magazine.  Some editorial work is unpaid, and models will do it for the chance at publication.

What you're talking about is a comp card, and I don't suppose there is any money in it for a photographer, unless you are including it as part of a portfolio package.  There are agencies and other independent services that design and print comp cards.

Nov 04 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Yep, I agree...it has to be the real thing.  A fake tear sheet would be like lieing on your resume..eventually it will come back to bite you on the behind.  If you skilled enough to design "fake" tear sheets, why not do something more posotive and design comp cards..they are a model's business card and often time they are just as if not more creative than tearsheets ot magazine covers..in fact they may git a model a  real magazine cover.

Nov 04 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelO Digital Artist

Clovis, California, US

Ceehawk Multimedia wrote:
Yep, I agree...it has to be the real thing.  A fake tear sheet would be like lieing on your resume..eventually it will come back to bite you on the behind.  If you skilled enough to design "fake" tear sheets, why not do something more posotive and design comp cards..they are a model's business card and often time they are just as if not more creative than tearsheets ot magazine covers..in fact they may git a model a  real magazine cover.

I couldn't think of that name 'comp card.'  Thank you.  That's really what I wanted to talk about here.

Nov 04 06 02:35 pm Link