Forums > General Industry > I just hope it's like riding a bike.

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Well as a few of you know, because of certain issues that led up to a surgery on the 24th of October, my camera hasn't seen much action since early August. It probably won't until mid to late December as well. That's around 5 months. (The incision is from the chest to bottom stomach area, so even trying to hang my gear has been tough.)

This has put a real fear in me that I will not be up to par (even by my standards). I even have had nightmares that I blow it big time my first few times out and the models go as far as even laugh at me.

Any other Photographers ever experience this? I have 3 or 4 models staying in touch, and I must say, I'm freakin' over the whole thing.

Are my fears unfounded?

Gary

Nov 02 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

yes and no, i had three hernias repaired a year ago, i suspect you had something more extreme, to bad you're in socal

to bad anyone is in socal,

anyways, just start shooting, shoot your scars, get little plastic soldiers, line them up near your scars like they were fighting on your gut..

Nov 02 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

My opinion - sometimes taking a break will allow you to refresh your though process and open you mind to new ideas and ways of doing things.

With downhill skiing, I've always found that I'm better the following year - I've forgotten a lot my mistakes and my fears.. smile

All you can do is pick up your camera and start working again.

smile  Hope all is well now.

~S

Nov 02 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

You'll come back stronger because you have a different perspective now.

Nov 02 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Now is a perfect time to read as much as you can get your hands on.

Screw the "How To's or Dummy" books.

Dive into advanced technique littature on things you've always wanted to try.

Good Luck.

Nov 02 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

C R Photography wrote:
Now is a perfect time to read as much as you can get your hands on.

Screw the "How To's or Dummy" books.

Dive into advanced technique littature on things you've always wanted to try.

Good Luck.

So what you are saying is that I shouldn't be spending so much time on MM? big_smile

But what about the free t-shirt? big_smile

Nov 02 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Well as a few of you know, because of certain issues that led up to a surgery on the 24th of October, my camera hasn't seen much action since early August. It probably won't until mid to late December as well. That's around 5 months. (The incision is from the chest to bottom stomach area, so even trying to hang my gear has been tough.)

This has put a real fear in me that I will not be up to par (even by my standards). I even have had nightmares that I blow it big time my first few times out and the models go as far as even laugh at me.

Any other Photographers ever experience this? I have 3 or 4 models staying in touch, and I must say, I'm freakin' over the whole thing.

Are my fears unfounded?

Gary

Speaking from a very similar situation... I had a very major surgery that left a scar from approximately the bottom of the breast bone to the lower groin area. Yep.. Got a scar running right down the front. Was in the hospital for about 9 days.. and then home for about 8 weeks. It took quite a bit of time to be able to do most of the activities I used to do.. and sometimes it is still hard to do a few things. Rest alot, do EXACTLY what the doctors say as far as rest or recovery... and by all means.. dont put any stress on the incision till you are told it is OK.

I unfortunately got injured whil in the ICU after my surgery, and have to deal with that as well as the fact that the surgeon didnt do such a good job on my surgery.

I healed ok.. but certain movements are a little bit of a problem.. so be careful.

oh.. and my surgery was back in February of 2002.  (link in case anyone wants the whole story... http://www.andrewgellert.com/surgery.html )

good luck.. and stay well.

Nov 02 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

AndrewG wrote:
Rest alot, do EXACTLY what the doctors say as far as rest or recovery... and by all means.. dont put any stress on the incision till you are told it is OK.

That's my biggest problem at the moment. With the exception of the incision, (that sounds a lot like yours), I feel as though I want to just get out and run. Of course I know this would be a big mistake.

Nov 02 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
The incision is from the chest to bottom stomach area, so even trying to hang my gear has been tough.

maybe it's the day..

but for a sec i fogot you meant 'camera' when you said 'gear'

Nov 02 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

maybe it's the day..

but for a sec i fogot you meant 'camera' when you said 'gear'

big_smile

Nov 02 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
certain issues that led up to a surgery ...

it's a very unpredictable industry & we never know how anything will turn on any given day ...

here, suffered an accident couple yrs ago that landed me in the hospital for surgery (having a leg rebuilt) and related ReHab to learn to walk on it again but yeah, managed somehow to come back & get to work again.

attitude is a big part! keep everything in perspective, learn what you can along the way, use it in your art when you get back!

best wishes for a quick recovery!

Frank (FML)

Nov 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

I don't like modern dance, but I do it anyway, as at Beloit we dance all 3 kinds available. This semester is especially challenging, as twice a week I take a 2 hour ballet class in the morning, then 2 hours of modern in the afternoon. We go flipping around on a far too unforgiving floor (thank heavens, my last semester of THAT one). I have disclocated each of my kneecaps -first one at WWU getting off a horse, second one here falling in rehearsal of a disastrous duet I tried to choreograph for the dance festival. (mistake there was likely not being warmed up enough..) In some instances, I get scared, such as last week when I was rolling over/sitting up, no hands, lost the ab control for a second and slammed the side of my knee into that darn floor...there was a substantial bump, but it was just a worse than usual bruising. Now, I have confidence to know how to get through it...my instructor said I was a hard worker today when (as usual) I went in the first group for a combination (mostly so I don't lose the counts and come in late) and it occurred to me-I'm taking two classes on the same day this semester, I've been brave enough to keep at it in the 2.5 years here since transferrig (after 2 years there) and I AM a hard dedicated worker. (so, with a little thinking and a lot of determination to do it, I still -finally getting As in both of those classes-keep dancing.

Nov 02 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Lots of positive input so far. Thanks to everyone!

Gary

Nov 02 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

That's my biggest problem at the moment. With the exception of the incision, (that sounds a lot like yours), I feel as though I want to just get out and run. Of course I know this would be a big mistake.

After I was allowed to get out of bed in the hospital.. about 3 days after the surgery.. I was told I could go for walks if I wanted ... I walked quite abit.. this was about the same time as Apollo Ono was skating in the Winter Olympics.. I was doing so many laps around the floor of the hospital, the Nurses were starting to call me Apollo Andrew.. After I got out of the hospital, I walked 2 to 3 miles every day.. until I found out that the surgeon had messed up in surgery when he was closing up the incision.. I have an adhesion that is in my hip area.. it got aggravated with all the walking and I now have problems with my hip and only when walking or trying to squat down to take a picture from a low angle.

There are other issues that have come up.. but it isnt important.. what is important.. follow the doctors orders.. and if you have a question.. ASK.. dont wait till it becomes another issue.

Nov 02 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

AndrewG wrote:
and if you have a question.. ASK.. dont wait till it becomes another issue.

Great advise...

Nov 02 06 08:51 pm Link