Forums > General Industry > I have a serious question.

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Who actually takes business and legal advice from MM posts?

Nov 01 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

That would be unwise.

Nov 01 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

what the....I would going to base my life on MM forums....don't ruin my day.  I mean life.

Nov 02 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I did OK. I got a nice bridge in brooklyn for a good price, thanks to advice given here!

Nov 02 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

RBDesign wrote:

from scanning over some of the threads, you'd think people here are taking advice for personal & other potentially life-changing matters too ...

*sigh*

Nov 02 06 03:27 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

i don't! smile

Nov 02 06 03:30 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I do.. Wait, no I don't.  Well, what do you suggest?

Nov 02 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I think you can spot the ones who know what they're talking about.

The Model Realease and Copyright questions always bring out the armchair lawyers, and there are some scaringly wrong replies.  But one or two people always post the same (and correct) information, even if it means that others abuse them and attempt to prove them wrong.  Another guy will routinely ask posters to state their sources or back up their claims, which they clearly can't.

If you can manage to get through all the misinformation, then the good stuff is there.

Nov 02 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

better than a Magic Eight Ball ...

Nov 02 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

FML-Photography wrote:

Darn it.. I live by the answers my magic  Eight Ball gives me...

you mean it isnt giving me good answers???

Nov 02 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

RBDesign wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  Heck, I'm just here looking for models!

Nov 02 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

You can learn something from everyone...you may learn another perspective on an issue...you may learn something good...you may realize exactly how many "wack jobs" there are in the world you didn't know about. But you learn none the less.

Learning is good food!

Nov 02 06 04:24 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

You shouldn't take advice.  Roll a dice like the "dice man".  read Luke Reinhart

Nov 02 06 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

AndrewG wrote:

Darn it.. I live by the answers my magic  Eight Ball gives me...

you mean it isnt giving me good answers???

awwwwwwwwww man! i traded [mine] for a Slinky & some Silly Putty ...

... and was just about to post a thread to ask the Maymers about my wedding, where to live, etc. (*sigh*)

F

Nov 02 06 04:30 am Link

Model

Miya

San Diego, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
That would be unwise.

so if it's unwise to take MM advise, and I refuse to accept this particular piece of advice,  does that now mean it IS wise to take my legal advise from MM forums? oh wait. now I'm really confused...

Nov 02 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Merlinpix wrote:
I did OK. I got a nice bridge in brooklyn for a good price, thanks to advice given here!

I can beat that with a nice set of swampland here in Florida, ripe for high end condo development.

Nov 02 06 09:33 am Link

Model

Chi-pie

New York, New York, US

I think you can get advice that will at least start you in the right direction to really figure out the answer for the question you asked.

Nov 02 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RBDesign wrote:

The apparent intent of the question is to disparage the notion of people "taking legal advice" from here.  Certainly many of the responses have done just that.

Of course, the right thing to do is to hire a lawyer - the right kind of lawyer, one who specializes in the subject matter you are concerned about - when you have a question that involves legal issues.

Unfortunately, that is also an expensive answer - prohibitively expensive given the range of issues that a photographer or model faces.  So people necessarily try to find other solutions that will allow them to remain in the business while staying on the right side of the law.

There are other good alternatives:  books and articles by lawyers on relevant areas of the law, for instance.  That helps a lot, but still isn't a perfect answer.  Some people have questions they can't find the answer for in a book or law article (try finding an authoritative discussion of the law regarding putting a person's picture on your website to promote your photography, for instance).  And quite frankly, the books and articles that are comprehensive and accurate tend also to be tough reading.  Many people get lost in the verbiage, and cannot discern what to make of it all. 

It can be even worse, as we have seen too often:  people find something in those books, articles or the law itself and read into it what they want to find, without understanding what the real significance and context is.

There is a third very instructive way to learn about legal issues.  Sue or be sued, and go through all the issues that affect the case.  Not a course that we ought to recommend, and often not cheap, but certainly a way to get good information.

Those solutions, although all good, are obviously not good, or not sufficiently accessible to everyone who needs the knowledge.  So what to do?

Another possibility is to ask the question on an interactive forum where there are people with real experience in the area (including some lawyers, who sometimes will even answer with substance).  It's cheap, focuses the issue directly on what you are concerned about, and takes advantage of all that experience. 

The obvious problem with that answer, of course, is that there are lots of people on the same forum who do not have the knowledge or insight to give a correct answer, but think they do, or just want to weigh in with their own personal self-serving bias.  And to follow their advice could be a recipe for disaster.  The burden becomes on the reader to sort through who seems to know what they are talking about (taking care, one hopes, not to bias that too heavily towards those who are saying what he wants to hear), and take at least preliminary guidance from them.

None of these are perfect solutions, and some, obviously, have more problems than others (albeit different kinds of problems).  But it seems to me if someone can keep their critical faculties working while reading responses, it is often a good idea to ask questions about legal issues on the forums, if only as a guidepost to where there be dragons.

Nov 02 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

FML-Photography wrote:

LMAO, I actually think it's exactly like a magic eight ball. Maybe MM should have a formum called Magic Eight Ball just for business and legal questions/guesswork.

RB

Nov 02 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

=CY MAGIC= wrote:
I think you can get advice that will at least start you in the right direction to really figure out the answer for the question you asked.

In a way you are right. But perhaps more to the point is the ability to see different views, here, [some correct; some not; and some completely whacked out] so that the reader can form the right questions to ask of their off-line adviser. If you aren't asking the right question(s) you may not get the right answer(s) even from your own lawyer or business adviser.

The question, as it might be properly framed, or not, is often the fundamental key to the answer you need or the answer you will get.

Studio36

Nov 02 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Miya wrote:

so if it's unwise to take MM advise, and I refuse to accept this particular piece of advice,  does that now mean it IS wise to take my legal advise from MM forums? oh wait. now I'm really confused...

Then my job is done.. smile

Nov 02 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

RBDesign wrote:

I do.

Nov 02 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
That would be unwise.

Damn it!

Nov 02 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

I have a serious answer......sure as hell not I smile

Meela

Nov 02 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

The reading is better than most of the TV sitcoms. LOL

Nov 02 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

part of the value in asking a particular question should not necessarily be for seeking the proper legal advice as a replacement of doing that, but opening up the discussion that allows for asking the right questions upon seeking legal help. 

having some foundation can be a great help in reducing valuable time sitting across the desk from counsel.  an important part of getting the right answer is knowing what questions to ask.  posing questions on the forums helps provide that.

--face reality

Nov 02 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

SLE Photography wrote:

I can beat that with a nice set of swampland here in Florida, ripe for high end condo development.

Oh yeah thats sounds like something I might be interested in. Do gators come with it? I like to eat gator tail tongue

Meela

Nov 02 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Miya

San Diego, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Then my job is done.. smile

excuse me...are you taking advantage of my natural disabilities of thinking-power: 1) i'm a girl and 2) i'm blonde.  sheesh. you're evil, Mr. Rowland :-D

Nov 02 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I do, just very selectively.

Nov 02 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

RBDesign wrote:

Are you offering some?  smile

Nov 02 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

Are you offering some?  smile

Sure, I've got this great bridge and some really hot real estate.

;-)

RB

Nov 02 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

RBDesign wrote:

Sure, I've got this great bridge and some really hot real estate.

;-)

RB

You have PayPal?  LOL

Nov 02 06 09:05 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I not only get my business advice from MM but also my dating advice. Thanks MM!

[/end joke]

Nov 02 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

You have PayPal?  LOL

No you'll have to give me all of your personal information, credit card numbers, etc.

RB

Ps. I guess my sarcastic implied advice was don't get your business/legal advice off of message boards, I was making fun of the other "got a serious question thread"

Nov 02 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

RBDesign wrote:

No you'll have to give me all of your personal information, credit card numbers, etc.

RB

Ps. I guess my sarcastic implied advice was don't get your business/legal advice off of message boards, I was making fun of the other "got a serious question thread"

LOL.  And... a serious question is better than a "quick" question.  I always wondered what a quick question was.

Nov 02 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

I always believe everything I read here and look where it got me! 

Lost in Podunk again!

Nov 02 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCPrints

Brookfield, Illinois, US

I am not a lawyer but my x-wife slept with one..anyone need advice??  smile

Nov 02 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Miya wrote:

Oh-oh!  I tried to follow your logic, and got lost!  Help!!
(quickly fires 3 arrows in the air, hoping someone will hear)

Nov 02 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

When I first started browsing the forums, I thought maybe. But I quickly learned...uh, no. Lol...

Nov 02 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

LOL.  And... a serious question is better than a "quick" question.  I always wondered what a quick question was.

I guess a quick question must be

r u on crk?

RB

Nov 02 06 09:37 pm Link