Forums > General Industry > Digital Portfolios Who Needs Them......

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

So! We have the web sites & traditional portfolio that service our need to show our work, this goes both for the photographers /models. Have you step into the area of putting your work to CD/DVD to be able to mass send your work out. I have what I call a mini dvd of my work with voice-over to give clients the feel of my personailty, more than just showing my images. I think I was one of the few back in the early 90's to do this and I have grown in being able to send out tailored mini books to cleints that ask for my studio's work. It's easy to get out in the mail, yes it's easy to just have them go to a web site, but what I am trying to show to them is design and a item they can view without having to go to a web site.....think about it...images with a soundtrack with your voice-over...gives more impact. And models you can also take this idea for casting calls. So how many of you do this type of promotion. And when you leave a cleints office after a meeting, just before you leave you give them this as a leave behind...so they are not pressured to view your work on the spot.

Apr 30 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Im more of like a on the spot guy (:--

Look at my web page if you too busy to look at my book..

Apr 30 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Great idea Alex! What software are you using? I have a mac, running OS X...

Apr 30 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Although it seems like a good idea, and I thought about trying something like it, I don't use it. As I was told, and in my experience, agencies like somethng tangible in their hands. As busy as they are, they don't always have the time to jump on the computer to watch the little show. It's much easier to pick a comp/business card off the table or shelf. Instead, I show my book, leave a drop off card (8x5) and a small stack of business cards. If they wanna look at my site, they can do so.

Apr 30 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marvel Arts

Prairie, Mississippi, US

I don't send jack until I talk on the phone to someone.  Once I get them laughing and they start to understand my unique view of the world, excitement about new ideas and projects in the making, then my portfolio seems to come to them more naturally - and they look for it... I think.  Success ratio is probably the same, but it's certainly more fun than a trip to the post office.

So far, I've got this as a response: "I'm sorry, all of our customer service representatives are currently busy.  Please hold and the next...."  Uhhh, wait a minute, that's me trying to reverse late payment fees.  Here, here, I got it: "Joe who?  Who gave you my number!!?"

Problem with sending a portfolio.. it's everything I've already done, not what I'm currently developing.  No fun to me doing something I'm comfortable with.  I like being out of my element, I mean mind.

So how do I find work?  Yea, still scratchin' my head on that one. Maybe if I send a portfolio in the mail... nope, wait a minute... I smell recursion.  Trick question! smile

Apr 30 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

My cousin has a mini cd disk of his work.  I would love to do such a thing, but I'm broke.

Apr 30 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

If you have a Superdrive Mac you can use iDVD.

If you at least iMovie create the whole thing in iMovie then "share" (same as export) as a TV resolution (720x540) ".mov" file  Once you do that if you have the latest version of Toast burn it as a VCD (Video CD, you can use regular CD's for this)  Most new DVD players run VCD's.

Posted by Rich Mohr: 

Great idea Alex! What software are you using? I have a mac, running OS X...

May 01 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Ed Remington: 
As I was told, and in my experience, agencies like somethng tangible in their hands. As busy as they are, they don't always have the time to jump on the computer to watch the little show.

This is unfortunately pretty true (and this coming from someone who loves the digital image age!).  The shear number of submissions that come in daily (speaking mostly talent here, by the way) negates having time to spend that much time in a review, at least initially.  Add to this that, quite unfortunately, many agencies (ad agencies included) are quite old fashion.  Some are not, and are excited by being able to do something electronic vs. hardcopy, but you never know initially which is which.  This then means that you need to impress them enough with your comp (model or photographer) so that they do type in your DOMAIN and view your work online in more detail. 

I receive CD's in the mail all the time as unsolicited submissions.  I really never have the time to sit them down at the computer to view.

May 02 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted By Austin Models:
I receive CD's in the mail all the time as unsolicited submissions. I really never have the time to sit them down at the computer to view.

See, I have done a lot of video and film editing, so I was hoping this was NOT true. Because, I can author CDs and DVDs with full-menus at home with ease. Having a killer, hi-tech portfolio costs me nothing but some blank DVDs and time. Printing comp cards gets pricey (because it is my nature to NOT get the cheap-ones).

But, it looks like I'm gonna need to start planning some compcard designs...

May 02 05 07:58 pm Link