Forums > General Industry > South Beach Hotel & Locale Ideas?

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

i am planning a trip to miami/south beach in late november/early december.
can anyone suggest a good hotel with character for a couple shoots?
also other ideas on good places to shoot (aside from the beach, of course!)  or studios that may be available?
thanks.

Nov 01 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I've stayed in a few really cool hotels on Ocean Drive.  I just can't remember the names.  Many of them have web sites that will give you a feel of the architecture.  Most of the old hotels were built in the 20's and 30's. - Some have been restored to their original art-deco styling.  Call them first to see what their policy is for shooting on their premises.  It's a high photo demand area and the property owners know it.  Review their releases and confirm costs before booking.  There are also some old art deco hotels a block or two off the beach too.

Nov 01 06 11:59 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

White Law Hotel has a nice lounge area.  It's when you first walk in so you can see the inside from the street

I can't remember the names of the other places I shot at either, but there are a lot of options!

Nov 01 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

ShinySluts

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Not sure what you are looking for, but the Pelican has some funky rooms.
I've never shot there but looks interesting.

http://www.pelicanhotel.com

Nov 01 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

ShinySluts wrote:
Not sure what you are looking for, but the Pelican has some funky rooms.
I've never shot there but looks interesting.

http://www.pelicanhotel.com

Wow, the Pelican is amazing... I would love to shoot there...

Nov 01 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

oh yeah i shot at the fountain bleu.....lovely resort! i would highly suggest it

Nov 01 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Most places in South Beach require a fee to be able to shoot inside.  Some are reasonable - some are insane.  Check with any hotel before booking... and if they say something, have them fax it in writing.  Some will say " no problem," and then hit you after you've checked in.

Nov 01 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

For just trying to find a convenient, inexpensive place to stay, I'd recommend the South Seas. They are on the beach, about 5-10 minutes (walking) from the public beach and shopping, and the room we were in was fine (note: I don't hang out in my hotel room, so "fine" for me means clean, running water, and working wifi). The only down side is that it was *not* near the night life, which seems to be concentrated on the lower-numbered streets.

I probably wouldn't use the hotel for a location shoot, however.

Another thing: try flying into Ft. Lauderdale, you'll probably get better prices and you can get a passenger van that can get you to South Beach inside of an hour.

Nov 01 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

hadn't thought about fl. lauderdale.  may look into that too.
the pelican and fontainbleu seem very cool.  i want to be close to the action and in a cool spot.

Nov 01 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
The only down side is that it was *not* near the night life, which seems to be concentrated on the lower-numbered streets.

Not anymore. While Nikki Beach still dominates the south end of South Beach, I can't really recommend any of the other clubs in that area. There are still some worthy venues (Mansion, crobar) a little further north on Washington Avenue, but much of the quality nightlife has moved over to downtown Miami (Space, Twilo, Nocturnal, Studio A, and Pawn Shop).

Nov 01 06 02:35 pm Link