Forums > General Industry > Wait, what happened..?

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

So, I get a message from a photographer asking me to come to a workshop because he likes my look and wants me there. He also wants to know if I could come to him to test as well (he is not located locally to me). He also asks what my rates would be for a "fashion" workshop.

I reply and thank him for writing...I tell him that I'm not doing TFP for the rest of the year (mind you, it's in my profile as clear as day) but if he tells me what he wants to shoot, sends a copy of the release, etc. I can send him rates. I also ask him for specifics on the workshop.

The response I get is basically: "I told you what type of workshop it is. I don't know why you're having a problem figuring out your rates. I am no longer interested."

Wait..what???

I don't get it. I wanted to know what type of workshop it is....he said "Fashion", which can mean anything to me. This photographer doesn't have what I consider "Fashion" in his portfolio, so when I wrote him back, I said, I didn't know what type of fashion you meant. There's swimwear fashion, lingerie fashion, topless fashion (hello, Kate Moss much?)...and obviously those rates are different. Frankly, if he's going to throw me in a couture dress, I wouldn't charge at all. But I didn't think he was being specific, so I asked. I thought I was just doing my homework.

Anyone wanna tell me what they would've done differently? Thanks

-D

Nov 01 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

uh....test

there are no rates.
he wants to test---therefore no money

hes using the test to get you there to shoot by using the
whats your rates for a fashion shoot that he never intends to do.?

Nov 01 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
The response I get is basically: "I told you what type of workshop it is. I don't know why you're having a problem figuring out your rates. I am no longer interested."

What planet is he from?

All of my fashion clients pay variable scale test rates depending on the "type" of test i.e. lingerie, fashion...ect.

You had a valid question and he showed his true unprofessional side hmm

Nov 01 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

don't you know you're supposed to just look pretty and not ask silly questions?

Nov 01 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Model

Dances with Wolves

Annique Delphine wrote:

Oops sad

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

If they can't answer simple questions then don't bother working with them.

Workshops are great and lots of fun, but with a good book and reputation, you shouldn't need a test maybe a go see... Or a super quick 10 min test to snap ten images to use for advertizement for the workshop...

Nov 01 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

sorry I'm confused.........what is a workshop? never heard of it.

Nov 01 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Note to self: get a couture dress.  size ?

Nov 01 06 11:11 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Note to self: get a couture dress.  size ?

I'll be in Vegas actually in December smile

Nov 01 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Annique Delphine wrote:
sorry I'm confused.........what is a workshop? never heard of it.

It's basically where a model poses for a bunch of photographers, and they all give direction (what fun THAT is) at the same time..while they are all shooting, at the same time.

I've done a few, and I continue to do them, as they typically pay well.

Nov 01 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Why would swimwear fashion cost more than lingerie fashion? Are you better at one than the other, and therefore discount your rate for the weaker one?

Nov 01 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:

I'll be in Vegas actually in December smile

I knew you would come around !

Nov 01 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Why would swimwear fashion cost more than lingerie fashion? Are you better at one than the other, and therefore discount your rate for the weaker one?

I charge differently for the two...and if the clothing is supplied, then the rates change again.

Lingerie, usually ends up being sheer...swimwear typically doesn't. So, that's why I charge differently if it's a paying gig. It's not a huge leap, but there is a difference.

Nov 01 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I knew you would come around !

What better place to spend New Year's?

If you get your hands on a couture dress, make sure you let me know. And we'll go play with it in the desert.

Hot. smile

Nov 01 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

It's basically where a model poses for a bunch of photographers, and they all give direction (what fun THAT is) at the same time..while they are all shooting, at the same time.

ohhh ok one of those. Never done that. I like having the model just to myself muawhahahahahahhahahahahaha

Nov 01 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:
I charge differently for the two...and if the clothing is supplied, then the rates change again.

Lingerie, usually ends up being sheer...swimwear typically doesn't. So, that's why I charge differently if it's a paying gig. It's not a huge leap, but there is a difference.

I still don't understand. Are you a better model when the outfit is sheer than when it's not? Is that why you charge more for a sheer outfit?

Nov 01 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Sounds like the guy was being more than a bit of a jerk.  I don't see how trying to communicate with someone should evoke that kind of response even if he actually thought you misunderstood him. 

If this had been the tenth email exchange between you two, with more evidence that you were being dense or not getting it, then maybe there'd be some concern about your intelligence.  Even there, though, it wouldn't have justified that kind of reaction.

As has been asked in many another thread not unlike this one, "are you really sorry about this?"  I mean, seriously, do you distrust your understanding of human interactions so much that you aren't sure this is an unjustified reaction on his part? 

If someone reacted to me that way, I'd not even bother replying back again.  I'd thank my lucky stars -- or whatever it was that I put some faith in -- that this happened before I got involved with that individual. 

Trust yourself.  Forget him.  Check out my profile.  wink

-- rick

Nov 01 06 11:22 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Annique Delphine wrote:

ohhh ok one of those. Never done that. I like having the model just to myself muawhahahahahahhahahahahaha

What's good about the workshops though, is that the photographers meet new models there and then can have them to themselves on another shoot!

Nov 01 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

I still don't understand. Are you a better model when the outfit is sheer than when it's not? Is that why you charge more for a sheer outfit?

What I charge depends on the shoot, who I'm shooting with, the release, if I'm getting prints or not, MUA, blah blah blah....and, of course, how much I'm wearing.

I give 110% for every shoot no matter what.

This could get complicated if I break down every shoot and why I charged what I charged, if I charged at all. I'd rather not get into it. Thank you.

-D

Nov 01 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

So Shoot Me! wrote:
Trust yourself.  Forget him.  Check out my profile.  wink

-- rick

Why...do you have a studio for me to rent? lol smile

Nov 01 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Chris, don't be thick. That is the norm in the 'book rate' end of the 'legit' business. It is only here in neverneverland that things work otherwise. (exceptions noted for major talent with major contracts, etc. etc. if someone responds with some kate moss reference i will shit on their head!)

Nov 01 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:

What I charge depends on the shoot, who I'm shooting with, the release, if I'm getting prints or not, MUA, blah blah blah....and, of course, how much I'm wearing.

It's the last item that has me confused.

How does what you're wearing change how good of a model you are such that it would affect your rates?

Nov 01 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

It's the last item that has me confused.

How does what you're wearing change how good of a model you are such that it would affect your rates?

I do not care to discuss how I arrive at my rates. Thank you for respecting same.

Nov 01 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

oldguysrule wrote:
Chris, don't be thick. That is the norm in the 'book rate' end of the 'legit' business. It is only here in neverneverland that things work otherwise. (exceptions noted for major talent with major contracts, etc. etc. if someone responds with some kate moss reference i will shit on their head!)

Neverneverland. indeed.

Thick. Mea culpa :-)

Nov 01 06 11:32 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

oldguysrule wrote:

But she's only 5'7, so anyone can do runway.

tongue

Nov 01 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Daniela V wrote:

But she's only 5'7, so anyone can do runway.

tongue

~5'6-1/2"... and remember to rinse that stuff outta your hair ;-)

Nov 01 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

oldguysrule wrote:

~5'6-1/2"... and remember to rinse that stuff outta your hair ;-)

smile

Nov 01 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:

What better place to spend New Year's?

If you get your hands on a couture dress, make sure you let me know. And we'll go play with it in the desert.

Hot. smile

holy toledo....couture melts a womans heart !!!!  My new secret weapon.

Nov 01 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

Why...do you have a studio for me to rent? lol smile

Even I don't want to rent my studio!   

But occasionally, I still get off a good shot.  wink  So if you're ever in my area.... 

-- rick

Nov 01 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

Don't you worry about the images that come out from those shoots and where they may end up?  When I first started out back in '97, i went to a lot and I have to admit that my images were far from good.  it helped me, but I also noticed the other photographers that attended and some of them were very creepy.  As a model, I would have never completed those shoots.

Nov 01 06 11:59 pm Link