Forums > General Industry > Not as simple as that...

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

When you are requesting a shoot with someone, what do you ask?

Do you simply write to the artist (which will be used to cover MUA, model, photographer, etc): Hey, love your look, TFP/Rates?

Or, do you go into further detail?

I find that the more detail that is provided, the easier it is to communicate...either that or a phone number.

If you only write to the artist: TFP?, why is that? Why don't you provide more details about what you would like to possibly work on, etc.? I'm curious because I either get requests are simple as that, or long, drawn out messages (Which I prefer) telling me the type of shoot, what the pictures will be used for, etc.

I know a lot of artists (myself included) also have in their profile (which no one reads, but should) that when they are contacted they would like the following information: type of shoot, copy of release, duration of shoot, location, etc. etc. etc. Why, if you simply send a brief private message like : TFCD?, do you not just cut and paste from the profile and answer all the questions instead? Is it to save time, even though in the long run it would probably behoove you to give all the information right up front?

I'm just curious. Any input appreciated. Thanks all.

-D

Nov 01 06 09:48 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i definitely appreciate a longer message. i model for fun, as a hobby, so what the images will be, what they will be used for, the artists' vision is very important to me.

i'm not sure i'd take someone seriously if the entire message was just 'tfp/rates?' it sounds more like someone who just wants you to pose, not someone who has any idea of what they want to do.

Nov 01 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:
i definitely appreciate a longer message. i model for fun, as a hobby, so what the images will be, what they will be used for, the artists' vision is very important to me.

i'm not sure i'd take someone seriously if the entire message was just 'tfp/rates?' it sounds more like someone who just wants you to pose, not someone who has any idea of what they want to do.

I felt that same way too...and then I was approached by someone that I consider way up on the totem pole with "TFCD?"

My answer was a screaming, hell yes and then my phone number. But the reason for that is because this particular photographer is amazing, and I was flattered that he would work with me without me paying him. Turns out he has a very laid back attitude anyway, and that's simply how he is.

Then again, I would never send that kind of message, for fear that I would be brushed aside.

Nov 01 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

well, i guess when you're at the top you can say whatever you want! smile

Nov 01 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Information is important...when I really do want to work with someone...

HI, I'm Chris Hartman and I'd love to setup a shoot with you sometime.  I like your portfolio and I feel we'd be a great match for one of my popular bikini beach/sunset sessions.  You can see my work more of my work at HERE and some of my best sunset shots can be found HERE.  I have many references and I encourage you to contact whoever you'd like.

I'd like to offer this shoot to you as a TFCD session.  You'll get a CD with all of the images from the shoot in low resolution (suitable for webpostings, e-mail, etc) and any photos I or you choose to be edited will be provided in high resolution.  These photos are for portfolio use only and no release will need to be signed or provided.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Chris

I just made that up, but that's essentially what I'd write if I was cold-calling/e-mailing someone wanting to shoot with them.

Nov 01 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I think most photographers go beyond just “TFP?”.  If they didn't, it is just a fishing exposition.  If the photographers are in demand, well, you proofed that works so why are you asking more from others?

Generally I would provide a little information about me, my interests, studio setup, and maybe a project I may be working on.  I would not give any shoot details until the model expressed some interest.  Most of the information you are asking for is simply unknown at the time.  I have lots of ideas for images and the model may have a nice look.  You might be interested is some of them and not in others.  I simple would not know what to pitch until I have some idea of what your interests are.  Is the model ready to try anything and become someone’s Muse or are they just interested in Glamour.  Hopefully the introduction and my portfolio will spark enough interest to pursue the other questions you ask.

Nov 01 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I think I'm guilty of this.. thanks for pointing it out.
Since I generally shoot nudes, little/no props, at whatever natural setting seems weather-appropriate and practical for everyone's schedule, I don't really make ANY plans beyond wanting to see what we can do with the day and the light. There are exceptions and themed shoots, but usually it's all about the model
.. and as for future use, I sometimes put pics on MM or my site, and I'm planning to self-publish a book that will undoubtedly sell almost 30 copies, all to friends:-)

Hmm.. I guess I'm depending on them liking my portfolio and site. Good thing I don't have any time to shoot these days anyway!

Nov 03 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I like to see if there are fish in the water before I bait the line.

in other words, I ask if they are interested in shooting with me, and if they say yes, or ask for more I give them more info.

Nov 03 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I generally start with a fairly short message stating that I'm interested in working with someone, or if I'm traveling, the time I'll be near the model. Unless I have a very specific thing in mind for a particular model, I see no point in writing a novel with the initial contact.

Nov 03 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

If I'm contacting a model, I try to be concise.  Things I like to mention:

>>>  My name, phone, & neighborhood (but not my address).
   >>>  My e-mail & web site URL.
   >>>  What kind of photographs I want to make (e.g. "fine art nudes").
   >>>  Typical length of my sittings.
   >>>  What I use the images for.
   >>>  Whether I will be paying (but not how much).
   >>>  Some rough timeframes (e.g. afternoons, sometime next week).
   >>>  How I found the model / who referred her to me.
   >>>  References available upon request.

Sounds like a lot, but I really can cover all that fairly quickly.  What I want to see from the model:

>>>  Recent images, hopefully similar to the ones I want to make.
   >>>  References.
   >>>  What kind of compensation does she want?
   >>>  Existence & location of tattoos.

I figure that's enough to get the ball rolling.  In subsequent communications, we cover...

>>>  Exact time, date, and duration of the sitting.
   >>>  What she needs to bring.
   >>>  What's the makeup plan.
   >>>  How long I estimate before I'll have images ready for her.
   >>>  Maybe some specific concepts we'll try.

Stuff like that.  Things usually work out well for me.  I haven't had a flake yet.

Nov 03 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have to agree that thorough messages with actual content in them are the most welcome to recieve. I have a short list of questions listed in my profile, and it really boosts my priority when someone makes any attempt at all to address the questions.
I suppose that it would be easy to become jaded and offer only short messages as an inquiry when model's often don't return messages at all. I can say though as a model, please do take time to offer a good solid message in your initial inquiry. It could be the difference between being taken seriously and being brushed aside.

Nov 03 06 05:40 pm Link