Forums > General Industry > Missing CD

Model

Jamie O

Detroit, Alabama, US

I am new to this so I am looking for advice, not criticism...
For those of you that do TFCD, how do you ensure that you will actually receive the CD from the shoot?
I'm having issues with a photographer I shot with over 2 months ago coming up with excuse after excuse not to send me the cd.
Is there a better way to go about this?

Oct 31 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

What kind of excuses? Let's see if they are legit or not!

I shoot FILM and have them developed the day of the shoot or the next. Samples emailed within a few days and a CD mailed within a week.

Oct 31 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

JamieLynn85 wrote:
I am new to this so I am looking for advice, not criticism...
For those of you that do TFCD, how do you ensure that you will actually receive the CD from the shoot?
I'm having issues with a photographer I shot with over 2 months ago coming up with excuse after excuse not to send me the cd.

I have a laptop and burn a CD right after any shoot after browsing through the images with the model.  If they want edited ones I usually get them any I've played around with within a few days cause I hate putting things off.

Oct 31 06 09:10 pm Link

Model

Jamie O

Detroit, Alabama, US

At the shoot he told me it would take 3 weeks to edit because he had someone in front of me. That was fine. 4 weeks went by and I called and asked about the cd and he said his computer had crashed and just got fixed that day. So I asked him to meet me the next day with a few photos I needed to use asap. I got about 9 photos, he said it would take another 3 weeks to edit the rest of them. Then messaged me on here within that 3 weeks and said it would take another 3 weeks....(pattern here). I messaged him back asking why another 3 weeks....never heard back, this was 2 weeks ago.

The shoot was Sept 8th

Oct 31 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Sorry to hear about what you're going through.

Everyone can have a bad day, but if he keeps giving you excuses without any apparent intention of getting you the disk, it might be time to cut your losses and move on.

Let me know if you ever visit So Cal!!  big_smile

-Thomas-

Oct 31 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I always email the model every image I edit in Photoshop as soon as I finish it. Then I make a CD with everything on it and send it or give it to her at the next shoot. I want to make sure the model has images she can put online within a few hours and a CD with all the images as soon as possible.

Oct 31 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Zimmerman

Plainfield, New Jersey, US

I always bring the laptop and burn the images right there for them..........  Edited images I try to get out within a week usually sooner.  My thinkinking is why have people wait....

Oct 31 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

Chalk it up as a loss and move on, and remember next time if he shoots digital, to get a CD before you leave and send him the ones you want edited. Should save both of you some headaches.

Oct 31 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I use CS2 to make contact sheets of the shoot and have the model choose the shots she wants edited.  I try to do it within a few days but since I shoot on the side it may take me a couple of weeks if business gets really busy.

Oct 31 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:

yes.  don't work on the barter system.

--face reality

Oct 31 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

A Perfect Reflection

PLANTSVILLE, Connecticut, US

Did you happen to sign a model release? Does it state what and when etc. etc. The only thing I could suggest to you would be to simply call him tell him you either want everything he shot with you immediately or the next call will be from your lawyer. If you do not have a model release, it may be more difficult. If you don't think it would be worth that trouble, in the future be more selective of whom you shoot with.

Oct 31 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

JamieLynn85 wrote:
I got about 9 photos...

I hope some if not all of the 9 are usable...

Oct 31 06 09:56 pm Link