Forums > General Industry > Ethics and integrity

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

Musings trampled by the heat of the moment...

It occurs to me that blurring the line between personal and professional creates all kinds of obstacles and pitfalls. Not that this blending is a bad thing all of the time. However, if the ethics and integrity of all of the players is anything less than 100% the bad things that can happen become catastrophic, consuming not only those involved but innocent bystanders as well. Being creatively and professionally involved with both parties in an ugly dispute over personal issues really shouldn't affect those not directly involved.

So the question bears asking...how much blurring of the line is reasonable? The business says keep it all professional. On the other hand, creating artistic nudes and fetish art tends to require some level of personal connection or there's a certain level of energy that's glaringly absent.

Finding the answers to questions like this is what living is all about of course, but life lessons like this shouldn't be quite so painful. What's the general impulse of this community?

***EDIT***
This is not a "My 'friend' has this issue..." moment. I am one of the folk caught in the middle of a dispute that affects two people that I have worked closely with and hope to work with again. Unfortunately, the dispute has spread to engulf other members of the community and things are polarizing instead of cooling off. People like me are now being ostracized by members of both 'camps' for being friendly to both. In the end, this kind of devisiveness is ruinous to us all.

Oct 31 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I think that you have something on your mind but are so vague that no one can possibly give you any input that is worth anything.

Personal involvement in a professional situation has nothing to do with integrity or ethics unless you fail to disclose your personal involvement and then proceede to let personal involvement undermine professional responsibilities.

RB

Oct 31 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

The "business" is a business full of specialties as well as cultural and lifestyle niches.  There are bohemians like Araki who fundamentally invent and document their lifestyles and interests developed within them; there are practitioners like Diane Arbus, Sally Mann, and Jock Sturges for whom photography retells  or is suggestive of personal stories, some intimate, as with family, some universalized, as with, I guess, "naturist" families, and some just plain and momentarily peculiar, as with, say, "Grenade Boy" and general coverage of American freakiness.  In The Business--film and media--part of the allure and glamour stems from the potential for so many little walks on the wild side.  Shame on Roman Polanski for romancing Nastasha Kinski (or was it the other way around?), never mind the girl in the bath.

That's my say.  Puritans have at it.

Oct 31 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

ObsidianDrag0n wrote:
Ethics and integrity

What are those?

Oct 31 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Are you sayhng there is a model you want to screw?

Oct 31 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Sugar Von Tassels

Austin, Texas, US

Doug Lester wrote:

Better be me! He married me after all! smile

Oct 31 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

RBDesign wrote:
I think that you have something on your mind but are so vague that no one can possibly give you any input that is worth anything.

Personal involvement in a professional situation has nothing to do with integrity or ethics unless you fail to disclose your personal involvement and then proceede to let personal involvement undermine professional responsibilities.

RB

Precisely my point. The professionalism has gone out the window. "Who fired first" no longer matters as things have escalated to include a lot of name calling and public finger pointing. It's very high school now because of the outsiders who've become involved. The details are irrelevant. It is ethically inappropriate to use what one model will do for you against another model in the hopes of coercing her to your way of thinking. Integrity involves taking "no" for an answer when a model declines to work with you any more. No amount of 'good works' make up for making unwelcome advances. Painting the complaining woman as crazy fails to observe that the situation has made that woman crazy, though that doesn't excuse her behaviour any more than his.

Nov 01 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

commart wrote:
The "business" is a business full of specialties as well as cultural and lifestyle niches.  There are bohemians like Araki who fundamentally invent and document their lifestyles and interests developed within them; there are practitioners like Diane Arbus, Sally Mann, and Jock Sturges for whom photography retells  or is suggestive of personal stories, some intimate, as with family, some universalized, as with, I guess, "naturist" families, and some just plain and momentarily peculiar, as with, say, "Grenade Boy" and general coverage of American freakiness.  In The Business--film and media--part of the allure and glamour stems from the potential for so many little walks on the wild side.  Shame on Roman Polanski for romancing Nastasha Kinski (or was it the other way around?), never mind the girl in the bath.

That's my say.  Puritans have at it.

Well put, whether the "Puritans" like it or not. Thank you for your input.

Nov 01 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

Paramour Productions wrote:

What are those?

Brilliant. You're now one of my heroes.

Nov 01 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

Doug Lester wrote:

LOL Interesting guess. No, what prompted this discussion is being caught in the middle of a 'did they or didn't they' situation that's spiraled over a stupid misunderstanding.

Nov 01 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

Faeawynn wrote:

Better be me! He married me after all! smile

Well ok, exception to the rule. Nevermind the chicken and egg aspect of our relationship. Of COURSE I want to screw you, sweetness! LOL

Nov 01 06 08:35 am Link