Forums > General Industry > Does ANYONE read your profile?

Photographer

Frederique Porter

Dover, Delaware, US

I was just wondering, if anyone actually reads your profile. I have on my profile to not send me friend requests unless you leave a tag or send me a message. I do that because I want friends that know who and what I'm about. I also have no TFP/TFCD, yet I keep getting requests for them too.

Just ranting!

Anyone else have this happen to them as well? If so, please share, it might make me feel better. smile

Frederique

Oct 30 06 11:20 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

I get it too but it does bother me.I get request from people as good as you. Some are GWC's which I tell them, I no longer take TFP but here are my rates.

Some of the people, try because they really want to work with you and think they have a chance. Just send them a nice messege with your rates. I have oddly enough recieved paid work doing that.

Oct 30 06 11:23 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

um.,, your profile is full of large photos

maybe you could just write what you want to say!!

Oct 30 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I agree with Anjel. I would assume that the text ends at

"I’m looking to work with creative people that are willing to push the boundaries of our crafts to create amazing works.

I love fashion, editorial and exotic beauty."

and then I see a ton of huge photos so I wouldn't read any farther.

Either put all of your text above the photos or get rid of the photos

Oct 30 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Nah - it happens to all of us..

I just delete people that can't be arsed to read the very top line of my profile.

Oct 30 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Nala Mills

Chicago, Illinois, US

This has happened to me recently. I clearly state that I dont do nudes and I received an e-mail about doing them. I didn't get mad about it. I said thanks for the interest but I don't take nude pictures. People will read and others won't. Just take it for what it is and if they're not paying attention, ignore them or just state it in a message.

Oct 30 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Is reading a membership requirement on MM?   

;-)

Oct 30 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Frederique Porter wrote:
I was just wondering, if anyone actually reads your profile. I have on my profile to not send me friend requests unless you leave a tag or send me a message. I do that because I want friends that know who and what I'm about. I also have no TFP/TFCD, yet I keep getting requests for them too.

Just ranting!

Anyone else have this happen to them as well? If so, please share, it might make me feel better. smile

Frederique

Love your work.

Let's shoot TFP.

.....no, people, in general do not read profiles.

I, too, have the NO TFP thing in my profile....I still get requests for it...and sometimes those requests are from photographers of your caliber, and of course, I'll shoot TFP with them...but GWC's will still send requests for TFP...to which I respond "read the profile"...and then they ALWAYS say "oh, I didn't see that".

As far as friend requests- I have no idea- I only approve them if we've worked together or if I really admire their work. The rest just sit there unmarked.

-D

Oct 30 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Frederique Porter wrote:
I was just wondering, if anyone actually reads your profile.

They read mine if they know what's good for them.

Oct 30 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have no TFP and people still ask me that also.

Oct 30 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

You've made your page very difficult to read with the need to scroll in 2 different directions to see the layout. 

As an artist, you can put together any kind of obstacle course you want, but then complaining because you don't communicate well seems kinda clueless.

Oct 30 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Alex N

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I actually do read profiles, but know most people don't. As for whether anyone reads mine... Well, I know for a fact some people do, but I'm guesssing more than not people don't.

Oct 30 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

David Diptych

Dunellen, New Jersey, US

I think it's common knowledge on this site that there are people who say "no TFCD" but in fact do shoot TFCD and, similarly, there are models who say "no nude" but in fact do shoot nude.

This confuses a lot of people and drives the credibility of profiles down, sometimes below the "worth reading" threshold.

Oct 30 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Hell, I gave up months ago.

Now I just put images and banners up big_smile

Oct 30 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Frederique Porter wrote:

Just ranting!

Frederique

big_smile  Frederique, good afternoon to you - such an out of the ordinary collection of work I see!  Yes, I am certain that others take the time to read my profile, and understand that you would appreciate not receiving friend requests without a prior tag or message. Also, I understand that you do not wish to be asked for TFP/TFCD.  Please, think of those requests as the genuine compliments that they are.  Cordially, Kathy

Oct 30 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tamara Fiset

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sometimes people leave tags or comments assuming I'm a model and not a photographer which is funny since I do have a male model in my portfolio.

Oct 30 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

They read mine. Sometimes people will test you anyway to see how far you will go.  It's called a game.

Oct 30 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

IABN

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nah. I still get the space cadets.

Oct 30 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

nope

Oct 30 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

People don't read. It is all across the board. - They skim over the info.

In addition - on this site in particular, a lot of people post things like - I don't do nudes or TFP/CD but there is generally always an exception - I think a lot of people feel that it doesn't hurt to ask.

I put don't send a friend request without contacting me first... yet, if I receive a request and like the persons work even if they don't personally tag me first...

tongue

Oct 30 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
um.,, your profile is full of large photos

maybe you could just write what you want to say!!

I wouldn't bother looking too far on your page because to the large number of large images you have.  They are also too wide so I would have to scroll two directions if I really wanted to see things. Which I don't.

Oct 30 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

nay.

Oct 30 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Unflitered full cleavage is louder than words.

Oct 30 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Daniela V wrote:
.....no, people, in general do not read profiles.

I, too, have the NO TFP thing in my profile....I still get requests for it...and sometimes those requests are from photographers of your caliber, and of course, I'll shoot TFP with them...but GWC's will still send requests for TFP...to which I respond "read the profile"...and then they ALWAYS say "oh, I didn't see that".

-D

This is the problem:  people DO read profiles and then IGNORE them because the person writing them doesn't really mean what they say.  As long as there is a 10% chance that 10% of the people who say "No TFP" will, under some circumstance, do TFP, then everybody will get these sorts of requests.  How much work is it to cut and paste an email and shoot it off?  Why not give it a try?  I don't believe there is ANY way to write a profile that fully anticipates what you are really going to want to do or not do.  This will never end.  On the other hand, how much work is it to ignore an email?  (Thousands of people successfully ignore mine!!!)  Just have your secretary screen them if it upsets you too much.

Oct 30 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Wrong question. The right question is, "Does anybody NOT read profiles."

Course, I'm happy if someone just pulls up my profile.

Oct 30 06 01:22 pm Link