Forums > General Industry > Anyone Know Him? Especially NY people?

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Here is his MySpace profile. 

http://www.myspace.com/finelinephotography

Says he was a staff photographer for Ford in NY as well.  Goes by Lejon on his photos.  And he has a couple of girls in his top 4 that supposedly are talent scouts for some model agency based in CT, but I can find nothng on any of them.  I believe he is traying to scam me.  He has been talking to me about shooting some stuff, telling me he has had someone send me money because of a promised shoot, but nothing has appeared. 

So, has anyone ever heard of him??  His images look nowhere near the quality they should be for what he says he has done

Oct 29 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

And yes, I believed him at first.  Until things didn't add up.

Oct 29 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

His photos are ok, but I agree not up to par like you would think.

Oct 29 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

u could write to the people who ARE his ''friends'' and ask if they shot etc

Oct 29 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

Not a chance. His work is no where near up to par with what Ford Demands. Run girl Run.

Oct 29 06 02:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I worked with a photog who told me that he was a photographer for a major local magazine.  I did a lot of research on him before I started working with him.  I found no info on him and the photos in his portfolio were not magazine material.  I had a very strong feeling he was lying but I worked with him anyways in hopes of networking and getting some great images for my book.

He ended up scamming me, the hairstylist, and all of the models he worked with.

My point is that your first feeling about someone is usually the right one.  Sometimes we want something so bad that we ignore the signs of a scam.

I don't know the guy that you're talking about but this situation sounds exactly like the one I went through.

I would call Ford Models and see if they ever heard of him.  Just follow your instincts.

Oct 29 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Not a prayers chance in hell .... his portfolio sucks
Ask him what color "K" means.... I'll bet he won't know.  Every respectable professional will know...... I assure you.

Oct 29 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Hmmm... I love a good mystery.

He's only 26. Says he has eight years specializing in Fashion and Glamour. That woulda' made him 18... His work really isn't all that.

Like someone else mentioned, message one of the friends who has shot with him. There were a couple who left comments. Write it in a non-obvious way. Don't make it sound like you're snooping.

EDIT: But then again, who knows what kind of BS he may've told the models he's worked with. So, messaging them might not get you any info/truth.

Oct 29 06 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Oh and by the way the photog who claimed to work for a major magazine never worked for them at all.  He did a shoot with a model who was featured in the magazine when she was a litle girl.  So on his resume he listed that he worked for them when he didn't.

So maybe this guy shot one of Ford's models before and because of that claims that he worked for Ford.

Oct 29 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I worked with a photog who told me that he was a photographer for a major local magazine.  I did a lot of research on him before I started working with him.  I found no info on him and the photos in his portfolio were not magazine material.  I had a very strong feeling he was lying but I worked with him anyways in hopes of networking and getting some great images for my book.

He ended up scamming me, the hairstylist, and all of the models he worked with.

My point is that your first feeling about someone is usually the right one.  Sometimes we want something so bad that we ignore the signs of a scam.

I don't know the guy that you're talking about but this situation sounds exactly like the one I went through.

I would call Ford Models and see if they ever heard of him.  Just follow your instincts.

How did he scam you?

Oct 29 06 02:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

He disappeared without paying me or the hairstylist.  And none of the models received the images that he was supposed to give them.  The models were paying him for the shoots and never received their photos.  That was how we got scammed.

Oct 29 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

If I recall rightly, this guy, or whoever goes by the name of Lejon, has a long history of bullshit. He goes by a few names, if I mind the story. I first heard of this guy on OMP a few years back doing the same thing. I believe he was banned from OMP.

Oct 29 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Zimmerman

Plainfield, New Jersey, US

RUN RUN away and do not look back.......  This has SCAM written all over it.  Any major company such as Ford and others would never use someone of this level.   Ask him who the Photo Editor is for the NYC office?

Oct 29 06 02:45 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

A "staff photographer"...?  For Ford...?!!

*snigger*

Oct 29 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Mayanlee wrote:
If I recall rightly, this guy, or whoever goes by the name of Lejon, has a long history of bullshit. He goes by a few names, if I mind the story. I first heard of this guy on OMP a few years back doing the same thing. I believe he was banned from OMP.

Yeah??  Interesting.  Several of you bring up some very good points.  And yes, sometimes you want to believe something so badly you can ignore obvious signs.  He alse says he has been a cop and his MS profile says he has a Master's Degree form Stanford. 

I have messaged this Amy on his list, she did not respond to me when I asked her if she had been in Tulsa Friday night when we were supposed to meet.  I see she has read it, or someone has, but no response.

Oct 29 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

He also told me he shot with an Olympus that was a 12 megapixel.  I can find no such camera by Olympus.  Anyone else?

Oct 29 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

Did he say Ford Models? 

Damn, he meant to say he was the staff photographer for the local Ford truck dealership shooting pics of all the rednecks in their new F-350's models.

Silly folks, not understanding that simple mistake.

Oct 29 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Call Ford and ask if he works for them.

Oct 29 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
Oh and by the way the photog who claimed to work for a major magazine never worked for them at all.  He did a shoot with a model who was featured in the magazine when she was a litle girl.  So on his resume he listed that he worked for them when he didn't.

So maybe this guy shot one of Ford's models before and because of that claims that he worked for Ford.

So because Nicole shot with Maxim and SHE shot with me, does that mean I work for/with Maxim?  SWEET!!!  I'm updating my resume now!

Oct 29 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!!!

Oct 29 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

If you have an email from him claiming to work for Ford forward it to them and ask them to verify him. They will take his claims that affect their reputation seriously.

Oct 29 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
So because Nicole shot with Maxim and SHE shot with me, does that mean I work for/with Maxim?  SWEET!!!  I'm updating my resume now!

I drive a Ford--also updating now...

Oct 29 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

ITS  4 AM HERE i am just wondering how models select  photog to work with.... i just checked this dudes my space the only thing true about him is his age everything else is just not right..... so you tell me you got the hook up with O, FHM, STUFF, GQ, and you dont even have a proper website.... now i must be a fool i am not saying that fotogs on myspace are not legit but making all that paper you sure can afford a website...  I HAVE  NEVER worked with GQ, FHM, O and what not but i sure have a website... wouldnt that be a basic thing to have for a photog.... I MEAN YOU CLAME TO BE THE GREATEST BUT YOU RIDE A BUS...or is it just me.... now iam not saying that some fotog with website are not crooks

Oct 29 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

He might work for Betty Ford... or rather... he might be checked in there.

Oct 29 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Maybe he can get me a job there. Ford pays for tests, right? Oh. Damn.

Oct 30 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
ITS  4 AM HERE i am just wondering how models select  photog to work with.... i just checked this dudes my space the only thing true about him is his age everything else is just not right..... so you tell me you got the hook up with O, FHM, STUFF, GQ, and you dont even have a proper website.... now i must be a fool i am not saying that fotogs on myspace are not legit but making all that paper you sure can afford a website...  I HAVE  NEVER worked with GQ, FHM, O and what not but i sure have a website... wouldnt that be a basic thing to have for a photog.... I MEAN YOU CLAME TO BE THE GREATEST BUT YOU RIDE A BUS...or is it just me.... now iam not saying that some fotog with website are not crooks

AMEN!!  LOL

Oct 30 06 02:41 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Why dont you just phone Ford ???

Oct 30 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

gsvb wrote:
Why dont you just phone Ford ???

I was planning on it but I already know the answer.  He doesn't even have that on his MySpace page.  He told me he had been a staff photog for Ford in NYC.

Oct 30 06 02:46 am Link