Forums > General Industry > Paying models and giving images?

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

I did a shoot recently and paid the model just so I could get her in front of my camera.  I also gave her re-touched images from the session.  I got to thinking and said to myself: "Self, you spent an hour moving all your gear to the location and setting up, provided hair/MUA, picked the model up, shot, cleaned and packed up, drove the model home (40 min each way), paid her, spent 3-4 hours in post work, and then mailed her a disc with the images.  You moron."  Now, she was a doll and a blast to work with but I think that was the last time I do that.  I pay--you don't get images.  Why should the model get paid AND get images when all I end up with are images?  Something doesn't seem right with that to me.  Either the images are worth something to the model or they aren't.  If you want to be paid then I take it the images aren't worth anything to you and you therefore don't get them.  I PAID for them--they are mine.  Images or money is the compensation--you don't get both.  Or does one pay and give two or three images instead of all the retouched shots?  I don't mind paying but I think both parties need to come out in the same place in the end and to be paid plus get images puts the model out in front of the photographer considering the work the photographer put in and to only get images??  I dunno about that.  What do some of you other photographers do?

Oct 28 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

which images are they in your port? did you get the images you wanted?

Oct 28 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

I got a couple nice shots.  Some of it was experimental.  I didn't really capture her the way I wanted to but I usually never do on my first shoot with a particular model.  Ya, she is on my page.  The shot with the high heel shoe and a topless portrait--long blond hair.

Oct 28 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Does the guy who sells you a Big Mac get a bite?

When you pay, you should never make it an obligation to provide images. If you want to after the shoot, that is fine and she should consider it a bonus. But it should be only at your discretion.

Oct 28 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

John Jebbia wrote:
Does the guy who sells you a Big Mac get a bite?

No, but he probably spit in it.

Oct 28 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

People wonder why models tend to ignore TFCD requests and God forbid getting them to pay YOU. Why, when they soon figure out that they can get paid and keep their portfolio updated all at the same time.

Oct 28 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Here is what I usually do. If I am getting paid for the shoot, I pay everyone involved and give images to everyone involoved (MUA, stylist, model, etc). If I am paying a very specific model to do very specific work that I hope to get paid for one way or another, I am very clear up front about pay or images and I do not give images and pay. It just makes no sense to me. If I am getting paid by the model I let the model go through ALL of the shots because without fail they usually pick the ones that I would trash.

RB

Oct 28 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

RBDesign wrote:
Here is what I usually do. If I am getting paid for the shoot, I pay everyone involved and give images to everyone involoved (MUA, stylist, model, etc). [SNIP]

Assuming you're at liberty to do so by the client, correct?

Oct 28 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Of course. I have "promotional use" rights in the standard contracts that I use but you make a good point. Some clients that I have had in the past had their own contracts and very explicity forbid any rights to anyone but them (mostly pay sites, not anything mainstream)

RB

Oct 28 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Tandango

Atlanta, Georgia, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Good question.  I wouldn't think the client would want their images freely given away unless in a final tear sheet.

Oct 28 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Mac Swift wrote:
What do some of you other photographers do?

the client writes the checks for all involved.  if i needed to make images just to have then i might consider paying.  but i don't have that need.  if shooting stock and paying then no images are released at all.  the same with client work except providing tear-sheets

--face reality

Oct 28 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Tandango Images wrote:

Good question.  I wouldn't think the client would want their images freely given away unless in a final tear sheet.

Not quite true, most clients don't mind giving promotional rights to photographers etc. even if not in "tear sheet" form. Some do but they are usually very high end clients that have a very established brand. When I have that problem I'll just have to live with it.

RB

Oct 28 06 03:46 pm Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think models should get images from the shoot if she's not going to have access to the final product. If she can get the images out of wherever they were published as a tear sheet, then fine, but otherwise she should get a CD, regardless of whether or not you pay her.
Personally I would at least like the photog to email me the pic(s) that were used for the end product.

Oct 28 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

perhaps im just lucky, but (unless when i was ripped off) i have generally been given the images
all the mages from a shoot - any shoot
paid or not

perhaps as the photographers trust me to do anythig terrible to the images
:-)
all the ones i post is free publicity - a name check to them

they want your work admired?
why would they with hold??

models spend time getting ready
and spending on modelling stuff too BTW

Seems there is an issue here re the fact this model wrapped you around her finger
is a different matter
you shouldnt have driven her, unless she paid for gas!

Oct 28 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

I pay(usually $250. cash for a 3-hour shoot) and give a high res professional CD of images w/logo inset from 35mm film shoots.
...sometimes, I pay less and provide professional lab developed 9X12" photographs should the model prefer. And, sometimes I give the whole magillah!
I guess we both love our models, have more fun than $ can buy and create some beautiful images together.
What good is money if you can't spread it around?
Who's bettern us!
Nobody! Fuhghettaboutit!

Oct 28 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Geez -- this same darn topic crops up five times each week.

Models are free to ask for whatever compensation they want, be it prints, cash, clothing, superbowl tickets, or whatever combination that pleases them.

Photographers are free to ask for whatever compensation they want, or they are free to offer whatever compensation they want to offer.

If there is overlap, good -- work together.  If there isn't overlap, make a counter-offer or simply walk away.

Give all that, what exactly is the point of this post?  Some models will find your restrictions fair, some won't, and who cares?

Me?  I work in fine art nudes, and I usually pay models for their time.  I also allow them to use any of the images I post on my web site for their own self-promotion.  It's good karma to do that.  Of course, you can do whatever you want.

Oct 28 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If I pay, I never give the models the images. I have paid before, and the model like the pictures so much she wanted them. So I sold them to her. Paying the modeling AND giving her the pictures, is crazy. You got fucked twice.

Oct 28 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Mos Photography wrote:
If I pay, I never give the models the images. I have paid before, and the model like the pictures so much she wanted them. So I sold them to her. Paying the modeling AND giving her the pictures, is crazy. You got fucked twice.

Ya...kinda what I figured.  You get compensated with money or images.  Take your pick.  You don't get to have your cake and eat it to.  Thanks for the responses.

Oct 28 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Geez -- this same darn topic crops up five times each week.

Models are free to ask for whatever compensation they want, be it prints, cash, clothing, superbowl tickets, or whatever combination that pleases them.

Photographers are free to ask for whatever compensation they want, or they are free to offer whatever compensation they want to offer.

If there is overlap, good -- work together.  If there isn't overlap, make a counter-offer or simply walk away.

Give all that, what exactly is the point of this post?  Some models will find your restrictions fair, some won't, and who cares?

Me?  I work in fine art nudes, and I usually pay models for their time.  I also allow them to use any of the images I post on my web site for their own self-promotion.  It's good karma to do that.  Of course, you can do whatever you want.

Geez---the same darn answer pops up at least five times a week.  If you people that have been around for long enogh to see these same questions pop up "five times a week" why don't you ignore the thread?  I have only been here a few months--sorry I don't have time to scan 100 pages of archived posts.  Good lord.   Don't like--don't read.  Clearly it doesn't bother you to waste your time reading the thread for the fifth time and then commenting.  Your point is???

Oct 28 06 10:14 pm Link