Forums > General Industry > Pre-shoot meeting?

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Yesterday someone asked what do you discuss during a pre-shoot meet.  Topic got a bit off the track so I'd like to start it again.

What do other photographers discuss on a pre-shoot meet with -amateur- models?  What do models (amateur or pro) want to discuss?

Oct 28 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

OK, since you ask. I don't have a great deal of spare time, I assume that is true of anybody I photograph too. I want to make sure that if they choose to shoot with me the time is well spent for the subject and myself. So, mostly we discuss the "deliverable".

Oct 28 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Stephen E Morton

White Plains, New York, US

Ditto!  I like to make sure that the amateur understands what TFP or Paid is.  I also give her a look at my releases.  IF nude work, - top to bottom what I want to achieve and vice-versa.

Oct 28 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I find that a pre-shoot meeting serves to make sure we all are talking about the same thing - the resolution of problems about what is expected on the model' s ( and photographers ) part goes a long way to reduce no-shows, and cuts down on the time required for us to get "comfortable" with each other - result - more productive shooting time -

Oct 28 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks, I wondered if it does cut down the no-show rate.  I had my first pre-shoot meet 3 weeks ago.  Went fine, I thought.  She was ok.  Her friend seemed a bit odd which should have been a tip off.  Guess what?  No show 2 days later.  The first non-acquaintance I worked with I met at a junkyard for the first shoot.  Went great and still work with her.  Thats a scientific study with a population of 2 of course.

Oct 28 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

I think pre-shoot meetings are great.. It gives everyone involved a chance to see and understand what will be expected. This is especially good if it is going to be a nude shoot so there will be no suprises.

Plus, it gives all parties a chance to brainstorm, expand on ideas and think of new ones. This of course is if the shoot is a joint effort and not a specific idea by the model/photographer.

I do them as much as possible.

Oct 28 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

A pre-shoot meeting is a requirement for me. Anyone who plans a shoot without one then complains the model didn't show only has themselves to blame.

I always set the meeting someplace convenient for ME!....sounds one sided but I figure if the model shows for that they will show for the shoot. Then I won't be so hesitant to do a location shoot of the models favorite place if she has one.

Plus it give us time to discuss what each is expecting from the shoot if it's TFP. If it's paid she gets an outline of what the client expects and her ability to fulfill it in advance of the shoot. If she has hesitiations or lacks the requirements it's better realized before not during the day of the shoot.

Lastly, which I feel is important, it lets you meet as individuals in order to establish whether you can work with that person. I know many will say that if the model is getting paid who cares! Or if the model is paying you who cares! In reality, it does make a difference.

Some people simply won't mesh together to produce the desired result. On those few occasions it's better to pass the shoot rather than "pull teeth" to try and get good work. We don't all have good rapport and one should be up front and admit it rather than get dissappointing work then complain about each other.

Oct 28 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

A few emails and a phone call is the extent of my prep. Non-meshing happens so rarely I don't consider it an issue. The model has looked at my port, I've looked at her images. That's enough for me.

So I just use the email and phone to go over what to bring, how to prepare.

The spark of excitement that comes when 2 new people meet each other is part of what I capture on camera. But that's just me.

Oct 28 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I always meet models before I work with them for a million reasons. To make sure they are serious, they will actually keep an appointment, to get my a read with my own eyes weather they will work with the project/wardrobe/etc., to make sure that we get along and can work together.
In terms of project discussion, I make sure that the concept, goals, and location are clear. I usually prepare a shot sheet for us and a stylist to work from on the day of the shoot.

RB

Oct 28 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

YeagerVision

Los Angeles, California, US

1st, I want to see if they'll show up.  If they don't, at least I get a cup of coffee.

2nd, I like to see models with my own eyes, so I can get a feel for how I'll shoot 'em.

Oct 28 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I'm also a big fan of pre-meets with models I haven't worked with.  I feel very strongly that they add to the comfort level of both sides in a first shoot - especially since I shoot outdoors - and I shoot nudes.

Having said that - I wish that pre-meetings had influenced my no-show rate.  I work with a pretty small circle of models that I think are wonderful - and I shoot most of them multiple times.

But, when I have stepped out and begun the process of meeting with somebody new, for a first shoot - my no show rate has been about the same on the shooting day.  The only difference is that the no shows that i have met with are more troublesome - since, I have invested a lot more time and planning on their images - because we have met already and I had a sense of how to portray them.

I've had 3 models that I've met with that didn't show - and 2-3 that never made it, with no meeting. *such is life*

That is another reason why I stay with the models that I already have worked with multiple times.  I already know they are great people - and that they will arrive on time.

But, when I have had a "first shoot" with a pre-met model - they have gone much easier - and resulted in images that we were both very happy with.

VintageV

Oct 28 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I've met with almost all my models at least twice before a shoot. First to talk about ideas and goals. Also we go over the model release. The second meeting, we each bring tear sheets that resemble something close to what our ideas were from the first meeting (a picture is worth a thousand words for sure) and to look at wardrobe options.

For some that may seem excessive, but it establishes a rapport and comfort level between myself and the model which is invaluable during a shoot. We're on the same page as for what we need during a shoot and it also shows commitment to the shoot. If they've met twice, they're probably not going to flake on the shoot day.

The only exception is paying jobs where wardrobe is provided and I hire the model for a specific shot. There may be a wardrobe fitting beforehand, but not always. And always, the shooting schedule is laid out in detail for the model beforehand via email and phone.

It's been a very successful method so far!

Patrick :-)

Oct 28 06 12:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You images are a testament to that too, Patrick.  smile 

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I've met with almost all my models at least twice before a shoot. First to talk about ideas and goals. Also we go over the model release. The second meeting, we each bring tear sheets that resemble something close to what our ideas were from the first meeting (a picture is worth a thousand words for sure) and to look at wardrobe options.

For some that may seem excessive, but it establishes a rapport and comfort level between myself and the model which is invaluable during a shoot. We're on the same page as for what we need during a shoot and it also shows commitment to the shoot. If they've met twice, they're probably not going to flake on the shoot day.

The only exception is paying jobs where wardrobe is provided and I hire the model for a specific shot. There may be a wardrobe fitting beforehand, but not always. And always, the shooting schedule is laid out in detail for the model beforehand via email and phone.

It's been a very successful method so far!

Patrick :-)

Oct 28 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks everyone.  Just got back from a pre-shoot meet.  Went well.  Hopefully it will work out.  That will bring my batting average to .5

Oct 28 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

It depends on the type of shoot and the model.

If it is a commercial shoot with a well established professional paid model, then there is no reason to be concerned that they won't show, or that they won't perform as expected. That is why the client is paying for a professional model. Part of the reason for going through an agency is that you can rely on the agency to screen out the flakes. So I don't meet models beforehand for this kind of shoot. If I meet anyone ahead of time, it is the art director to make sure we are on the same page, and make sure I have everything I need when the models show up.

If, on the other hand, it is a TFP art shoot with an inexperienced model I don't know, and we are doing nudes, then I have found the flake factor to be much higher. Not surprising. They don't have the experience and work ethic. They aren't getting paid, so they have less motivation to be responsible. They are likely nervous about posing nude, particularly if they haven't done it before, and they are likely nervous about me and my motives if they've never met me before. I have found that having a pre-shoot meeting in these circumstances resolves a lot of the model's concerns, and dramatically increases the likelihood of them showing up and doing a good shoot. In the last couple of years, I can only remember 2 models who flaked after a pre-shoot meeting. An acquaintance of mine, who shoots a lot of amateur nudes, doesn't bother with pre-shoot meetings, and about 2/3 of his models flake and don't show.

Oct 28 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

A model's prespective on this:

If the time is available I do like doing the pre-shoot meeting (or at least a good pre-shoot phone call) just to understand expectations and to get a basic feel for the photographer and how they work. The energy created between the model and the photographer plays into the shots so it is good to have some familiarity with the other person.

Oct 28 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks guys.  Hopefully the effort will pay off.  If you see picture of a pregnant girl on my site in the next couple of months you'll know I'm hitting .5.

Oct 28 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Preclar Photography LLC

Columbus, Ohio, US

It's great to see if the model will show, and helps me with time management.  Photography is not my full-time job, but my work flexible is somewhat flexible.  If I have to move things around so I can accomadate a shoot during the week, I get pretty upset when they flake on me.  A pre-shoot meeting cuts down on the flakes and can give you an idea of how they will be to work with.

Generally you only need 30 minutes to an hour to pre-shoot meet, which I can generally block off easily.  3+ hours for a shoot isn't as easy to find time to do.

Oct 28 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

i don't do coffee dates.  i use the phone.  works just fine for me.

--face reality

Oct 28 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

FaceReality wrote:
i don't do coffee dates.  i use the phone.  works just fine for me.

--face reality

I have to see them in person, you dont see their real stats and the condition of the skin etc by phone....
I always do pre shoot interviews.......

Oct 28 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Josue Pena wrote:

I have to see them in person, you dont see their real stats and the condition of the skin etc by phone....
I always do pre shoot interviews.......

Exactly..
had a lady show up...her pics were 15 years ago,
another model was 40lbs bigger than her photos

StarBucks it is dude...

Oct 28 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

Seth wrote:
A model's prespective on this:

Wow. This is a funny site, so it seems one has to accept the good and the not so good. This is good.

I shoot both men and women and I cruise the forums for someone interesting. Uhh, you have an awesome portfolio, and this comment is coming from someone who shoots mostly women youngsters and older CEO-type men. Best of luck. If you are ever in SF send me a PM.

Oct 28 06 05:32 pm Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

I agree with JPhoto, As I use email's and Instant Messenger to conversate with the photographers before each shoot. I will also talk through phone calls. It gives unlimited time and everything to discuss what is expected from the shoot and what is also desired. I has always worked for me through those aspects of communication.

~Chantelle~

Oct 28 06 05:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Josue P

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Exactly..
had a lady show up...her pics were 15 years ago,
another model was 40lbs bigger than her photos

StarBucks it is dude...

cheers!!

Oct 28 06 05:40 pm Link